Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:28 pm 

So is there a standard pellet weight for a 25 cal pellet to base your velocity off of. I believe 22 is 14.3gr for Crosman. So what do I use to be legal. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:19 pm 

This must be one of those opening Pandora’s box type of question. I’m building a Crosman Mark1 in 25 cal and am getting in the 450fps+ range on CO2 and on 1000 psi HPA a 26 go pellet is also 450+. I plan on using the 26 go but is this ok?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:32 am 

Nowhere in the legislation or regulations is a "test weight" cited for any calibre. The rule of thumb is "the lightest pellet commercially available," which, of course, includes alloy pellets. How would it do with these? https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/predator-international-gto-25-cal-1654gr-lead-free.html.

It's a guessing game, and that's the way the RCMP likes it. If the above pellet were the lightest commercially available, you'd be over the FPE limit at 375 fps or so; that means you do have to be sure you're under 500 fps. If I understand correctly that you're shooting 26 gr at 450+, then you'd be shooting this 16.5 gr. alloy pellet at 570+, putting you over both the FPE and FPS limits and making it a restricted firearm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:16 am 

I have those GTO alloy pellets and am getting 450+ on CO2. On HPA it’s over so looks like I am good on CO2 which is great. Now I just have to hope they don’t make a lighter pellet in the future. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:30 pm 

Interesting Murray - I did not know there was a "standard in the law' as to lightest pellet.

If this is the case, any .22 cal. non-pal that runs over 500fps and fpe on both counts, as with a 9gr. light alloy?

Are there lighter ones &/or does it matter? Sounds like a dog's breakfast to me, where about anything goes - on the law's side.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:18 pm 

From what I understand there is no standard for testing a gun you mod. yourself.... For untouched factory guns, whatever the factory tested with seems to be allowed.... I remember one .177 Diana where right on the box it said "under 500 fps with 10.3 gr JSBs".... :roll:

I absolutely DO have a suggestion for what the law SHOULD be.... They should test with a lead roundball of the proper diameter for the caliber in question, or the next heavier available pellet.... That would mean 8.3 gr. in .177, 15.3 gr. in .22, 23.5 gr. in .25 cal, 44 gr. in .308, 68 gr. in .357 cal. and 143 gr. in .457... With such a standard, you could set your gun up legally and know it was OK....

but since when did the law ever do anything REASONABLE.... :shock: :lol:

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:23 am 

Daryl wrote:
Interesting Murray - I did not know there was a "standard in the law' as to lightest pellet.

If this is the case, any .22 cal. non-pal that runs over 500fps and fpe on both counts, as with a 9gr. light alloy?

Are there lighter ones &/or does it matter? Sounds like a dog's breakfast to me, where about anything goes - on the law's side.

Perhaps my description sounded too "official." :lol: In more accurate terms, there is no weight standard whatsoever. However, for those who are extremely concerned about exceeding 500 fps under any conditions, their "rule of thumb" would be to test using the lightest pellets commercially available. If we can buy them, the RCMP can buy them, and use them, for their testing purposes. It is true, as Bob said, that the manufacturer's stated velocity (I believe to this day that no weight need be specified) is almost always accepted as the standard for off-the-shelf guns.

My apologies if I was too unabiguous. :mrgreen:

P.S.
In your example, a 9gr pellet travelling at, say 525 fps, would exceed both limits and become a non-restricted firearm were it a rifle, and a restricted firearm were it a hand gun. You'll find this calculator here: https://www.pyramydair.com/article/What_is_Muzzle_Energy_August_2003/5

Attachment:
SafariScreenSnapz002.jpg
SafariScreenSnapz002.jpg [ 82.41 KiB | Viewed 180 times ]

P.P.S. lead ball measurement - brilliant idea, Bob. What could possibly be more simple than that. You should put that forward to a politician who cares. Oh... yeah... never mind.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:43 pm 

Thanks for the clarification, Murray.

I agree, Bob - there should be SOME definite rule, as I've known enough of the guys in forensics over the years, to know they will

do ANYTHING they feel necessary to obtain their desired results, even if it means destroying the gun in the process. THIS I know

from experience. THIS was 30 and 40years ago - fast forward to a time where jack-boots and army-type fatigue uniforms are the norm and where

they have been given powers never before possessed by them. Now, tell me they wouldn't do this today. You are right, Bob - technicalities

such as these should be engraved in stone, but then, that would not allow for individual interpretation for stat building, would it.