Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Silver Streak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:43 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I'm not sure about the current ones, but up to a few years ago the 397/392 used a bit bigger valve than the 1377/1322. The valves and pump cups are fatter and bigger, giving you decent numbers @ 8 pumps, the pumps are also much harder than a 13xx or even 2100.

The old Benjamins I've seen had an internal valve of sorts, they needed special tools to open and used lead gaskets. The newer style is a cartridge style valve, like the 13xx, but bigger. I think that was the Crosman effect when they took over.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:01 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Here is a nice review of the Sheridan Silver Streak .20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcbvygBaey4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:14 pm 

Well thanks for the replies and info everyone. I guess the newer models will have to be what I select from.

I suppose if I had a choice I would buy a Webley alecto as I had one in the past and regret selling it. Can't find a new one anywhere.

I don't mind the pump air guns though I try to keep my airguns below PAL rating to give me a little more flexibility. Don't need super speeds to get accurate and tin cans don't know the difference. The pumpers are easier to shoot than the break barrels for piston jump and easier on new shooters.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:22 pm 

I have a 397P from 1995... so it was made after Crosman bought Benjamin but before they got around to messing with the internals. It's a very solid and accurate rifle, no plastic parts on this gun. You can find a non-PAL version of this model with a special pump rod for Canada. The pump cup has a hole in the center and behind it is a dump valve which opens once you hit a certain pumping pressure. I don't think the newer style 397/392's were ever offered with this option.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:00 pm 

I'm ok getting a PAL rated one. Non pal rated are just "safer" due to user error but in the same breath my kids already shoot 5.56/.223 at the club with me. This was more for me for basement tinkering which of course my kids will want to participate in. So no PAL rated airguns for that job.

And as far as the silver streak goes - I've always thought they were super sharp looking!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm 

tacticalcanuck wrote:
I'm ok getting a PAL rated one. Non pal rated are just "safer" due to user error but in the same breath my kids already shoot 5.56/.223 at the club with me. This was more for me for basement tinkering which of course my kids will want to participate in. So no PAL rated airguns for that job.

And as far as the silver streak goes - I've always thought they were super sharp looking!

Wouldn't say safer. I piled a few pellets into walls by accidents. Why you make a good backstop, have good trigger and muzzle control. I use a 22 rimfire trap with duct seal. Help control the ricochets and quiet the impact.

Well with multi pumps, you don't have to pump all the way. So a PAL rated multi pump with less pumps can shoot sub 500. So 2-3 pumps would be fine indoors. So you wouldn't have to get a PAL and or non PAL. As long as your next to them, Its fine.

Pumping to 8- 10 everytime, you might as well get a springer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:42 pm 

tacticalcanuck wrote:
Well thanks for the replies and info everyone. I guess the newer models will have to be what I select from.

I suppose if I had a choice I would buy a Webley alecto as I had one in the past and regret selling it. Can't find a new one anywhere.

I don't mind the pump air guns though I try to keep my airguns below PAL rating to give me a little more flexibility. Don't need super speeds to get accurate and tin cans don't know the difference. The pumpers are easier to shoot than the break barrels for piston jump and easier on new shooters.

Check with Mr. Marvin.
http://www.airgunoldies.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:21 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
tacticalcanuck wrote:

Check with Mr. Marvin.
http://www.airgunoldies.com
Thanks! Bought one off him a few years ago at a gunshow.