Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:25 pm 

Congrats!! It looks so nice ~

And good to hear one CO2 can make 50 shots!! You know what, it's about 30 good shots ( less than 40shots for sure ) out of one CO2 on my 2240~ and the rating on 2240 is just 460fps if my memory is good enough to remember that...

Just a friendly reminder, for the CO2 powered pellets gun like these, don't be afraid of being a little bit waste to change the capsule when you notice the fps drops... I usually make 3 to 5 more blank shots ( only cock the bolt and fire CO2 without pellets) when I noticed the fps drops ( lowered noise, changed POI... You can tell that by yourself), and then change the capsule...

If you squeeze out the last drop of the CO2, sometimes you will end up with a pellet jam... And the several blank shot just for release the remained pressure in the tube before you release the CO2 capsule...

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:31 pm 

For the power comparison, did you try a soup can ( or wadcutter for pop can...) or wood piece to tell? ( Don't use your hand's pain level meter ~ lol)

I always feels my 2240 has better power than my 1322 @10 pumps as it really has a louder noise and especially in the first a few shots, the CO2 smoke blow out from the ported muzzle brake... But actually there is no such big difference...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:40 pm 

Good point YepYep, the co2 gun making the loud noise is really just a sign that it is wasting a lot of co2, which is why you see the cloud coming out the barrel. The hammer spring could be cut a little shorter probably, and you'd get the same power but more shots.

Remember the QB78 is using two co2 cartridges at once, unless you put one empty in, as it is designed to use two, with a pressurized tube. So 50 shots is good but still about the same as your 2240. Again, if the hammer spring was cut a bit shorter, or replaced with a lighter spring as mentioned before, you'd probably increase your shot count by a 1/3 or so. But if you are happy with it as is, that's great too! Especially if you don't like taking your gun apart, 50 shots is a nice amount anyway. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:55 pm 

Oh! Yeah! I forgot it uses 2 CO2 at the same time like the steel force... lol ~

Still a bit confused that what to determine the muzzle speed of a co2 pellet gun then?

More co2 doesn't means more power?!

So why ppl switch to stronger hammer spring ( for open the valve longer to get more co2 to the barrel right?) and switch to high flow ports ( to let more co2 into the barrel at the same valve open time period, right?)

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:17 pm 

True, a bigger port will give more power, and a stronger hammer spring will open the valve more letting more co2 up into the chamber, but if you have more hammer spring power than is needed then you end up with hammer bounce, which causes the valve to open and close several times, wasting co2, since the pellet has already left the barrel, and that is why you see the big cloud of co2 coming out.
If you are experiencing hammer bounce and are at the velocity you want, then cutting the hammer spring or putting in a slightly less powerful spring will cut down on the hammer bounce, giving you just as much power with less waste.
If you are experiencing hammer bounce but want more velocity, then opening your port up, along with the hole in your barrel, will allow more co2 to enter in a short period of time, giving you greater velocity out of the same hammer stroke. You can still cut some hammer spring and end up with more power and less waste. This is a win win :lol:

Then there is the trick of putting an oring on the back of the valve. This usually ends up giving you slightly less velocity, depending on how overpowered your spring was, but will up your efficiency significantly. If you want to keep your spring full length and and don't want to lose velocity and have the maximum amount of shots, stick the oring in first up against the valve, then test your velocity and see where you are at. You might not need to change anything after that, or you may even need to shim your spring a little to get back up to the velocity you want. Usually this will increase your shot count quite a bit, if you were experiencing hammer bounce. On a 2240, you'll need several orings back there as the poppet pin is pretty long sticking out the back of the valve. I'm not sure how many, maybe 3? On a qb78 one oring is sufficient. Put an oring in that fits nicely with the diameter of the tube, so it doesn't fall down and cause problems. It needs to be snug enough to stay up against the back of the valve. You can even put a touch of super glue on it and carefully stick it to the back of the valve if you are concerned it will fall over.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:26 pm 

ALRIGHT ~ never heard about this spring bounce... Understood now... It's really a waste of co2 actually the valve opens not only once after I pull the trigger...

So while ppl change to a stronger spring will do help to increase the fps, but finally it will waste more co2 due to the spring bounce will be worse, right?

Any highend gun will have the shock absorber systen like the cars? I saw cars with defective shocks before, after the speed bump, the wheel just keep up and down and never stop... I imagine that actually our hammer spring just doing something similar?? lol~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:38 pm 

Bob Sterne invented a system called the SSG, and there is several threads on it here on the forum. Works great to totally eliminate bounce. Takes a bit of work to build one, but I think there was some guys selling them for the 2240 etc though I don't know who. Anyway check it out, the thread it's very interesting!

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk