Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: BSA Meteor 0.177" cal
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:43 pm 

Found this at a nearly local show today.

I ain't really a springer guy, but that peep made the gun irresistible to me.

Sight is mostly plastic, but appears well made. Elevation wheel works.

What was once a white neoprene breech seal is now pretty well toast.
There is good, steady, increasing tension on the mainspring. Piston seal could probably use some TLC. She shoots well, but weakly. From what I'm seeing with the 8.2 gr Meister, she's at very low 300's~ it will penetrate both sides of a soda can at ten paces, but bounces off the thicker metal of the bottom end.

I think I got a deal on it at $45.00. The sight alone is probably worth that much...

There is a roll stamp on the bbl that I couldn't capture in the brilliant sunlight- it gives caliber and Birmingham Air Guns, England. I'll try an indoor pic later this week. The way the gun is now, it will put 5 of the 8.2 gr Meisters into a little under 1/2" on centers at ten paces. It looks like that peep is going to fit a standard 3/8" dovetail, so I'll be ahead even if I can't get the gun to perform :mrgreen:

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:36 am 

That's a great deal. I didn't know BSA Meteors came with rear peep sights rather than the standard notch sight at the breech end of the barrel like most springers.

I would get those seals replaced before doing lots of shooting. A damaged breech seal will let air pass and it will be like dry firing the gun. A moly grease tune would be nice too.

Neat rifle 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:52 am 

Thanks for the kind advice.
I took the old breech seal out tonight, and it turned out to be badly rotted leather~ not neoprene.

Ended up using a 3/8" nylon compression billet for poly ice maker tubing. It is a very good fit with no fitting on my part.
The firing cycle has changed a lot. There's quite a solid thunk there, and the slamming has been pretty well eliminated.
Power is up nicely too. At 12 meters, it will penetrate both ends of a cola can, and the 1/8" plywood behind it as well.
I'm guessing it's close to 500 fps now- maybe even a little over. It likes the meisters, and shoots them well, despite my poor attempts at artillery hold...

I'm not at all sure that nylon breech seal is going to last very long. I'd like to find a proper breech seal for this rifle. Wonder if such a thing is still being made and sold?

At any rate, I'm sure liking the gun. I had wanted one way back when such things were beyond our reach...

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:53 am 

Nice find there Doc! Great you were able to get it working better already.

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:52 am 

I have it's grand daddy .

Attachments:
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 51.58 KiB | Viewed 701 times ]
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 31.17 KiB | Viewed 701 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:05 am 

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/produ ... 0-16-1050/

Its a Gamo part so you should be able to get them easily. I believe there is a conversion available to fit a parachute seal as well to replace the older leather versions. Leather seals used to be soaked in neatsfoot oil but not sure if you can still get it. Ballistol may be a good substitute.
Meteors have been around for ages, probably one of the biggest selling air rifles in the UK for many years.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:50 am 

REAL Neetsfoot Oil is readily available at home hardware stores or "Tac" stores. I have bought it both places. Home Harward stores are much cheaper than "Tac" stores.
Most places that sell a lot of leather goods, will likely have Neetsfoot oil. I would not buy the Neetsfoot Oil Compound as that is synthetic, - or maybe that is what you
actually want for a leather seal- I do not know.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:10 am 

This is gonna get a little pic heavy....

Before doing anything else, I gave the bore a quick and light cleaning. Progressively cleaner q-tips.... I don't think this rifle was ever cleaned. What shows up under the fluorescents as black is actually dark brown~ bore preservative by what I can see. Rifle has multi-groove rifling, and it appears to be over 24 grooves before my head started aching with the groove counting.

I ran a Meister through the bore on the cleaning rod. Tight at the breech, loose in the middle, and then tight again an inch from the muzzle. Choked bore, anyone?

Nylon breech seal as discussed previously. It appears to be holding up well. The convex surface is giving a good seal against the end of the compression tube.

Highest out of 10 shots. Lowest was 621.9. the other 8 were all in the 631-635 range. 8.2 gr. Meisterkulgens.
That's pretty close to what I've found in the little bit of reading I've been doing on this gun. Factory rating was supposed to 13 ft lbs - about 650 fps if my math is near...

Under barrel roll-stampings. There is a "N.H." prefix to the s/n#, which should make it a Mk 5 model.

The Blob bead front sight. It's 3/16", and awfully big for an air rifle...

The more I think about it, the more I think that rear peep is after market, by the lack of plug screws in the bbl mount holes...

5 of the Meisters at 12 M, kneeling off-hand. A lot of that group is my eye-sight- the rest of it is a combination of poor springer hold, and too wide of a front sight.

Still close to 1/2" on centers, which is pretty impressive to me, knowing what I know about my springer abilities :mrgreen:

I've definitely made a decent score here!

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:03 am 

Looked up the Meteor in my old gun digests. Both the '73 and '84 issues list the .177 @ 650 fps.
The '84 mentions a peep being packed with the gun- which would account for the missing plug screws in the bbl holes...

Interestingly enough, the standard Meteor listed for 49.95 in '73, and 149.95 in '84. There was an uppity priced version called the meteor super, which was the same gun with a cheek rest, rubber butt pad, and better wood... in both gun digests.

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:35 pm 

I was looking for a trigger group photo on-line and noticed something on the U.K. boards-

A few of these old springers show up wearing steel tube 1" Weaver scopes....

Anyone here know anything about this? Just wondering how those old scopes stand up to the dual recoil cycle.
I have a beater Weaver Marksman (K-4 clone) that I'm going to try...

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:00 am 

Had the gun out of the stock tonight.
Mainspring is very dry. I'm going to have to come up with a stiff moly for it. The ends will likely need a polish.
Trigger spring appears o.k. I didn't touch the trigger adjustment screw- it looks like it's been backed off quite a bit.
Trigger seems to let off nicely at about 4 lbs.

There are a lot of nice touches on this little gun- enough so that I wonder why it is so thoroughly disdained on some boards.
There is a wedge pin set into the stock channel. It prevents the moving linkage from contacting the wood. Not sure it's really necessary- I can find no signs of wear on it, or the wood. All the screws on this gun are straight slotted. The threads have all been timed so every screw slot aligns with the line of the bore when properly tightened . I haven't seen that since late '50's Marlin, or pre-'63 Win... no crosshead screws here.
The channel for the cocking linkage is no longer than necessary. In fact, it seems a little short compared to what I'm seeing nowadays.
Might be why the gun doesn't seem to be very hold sensitive....

I went as far as mounting one of the 4 X 1" steel tube Weaver Marksman scopes on it, but I chickened out on that idea at the last minute. Seems a shame to ruin decent glass that is going to be incredibly difficult to replace.
The front sight is reversible, just like the early Scorpion pistol. I flipped that big bead over, filed down the wide post, and put a 30 degree polished slope on the rearward face. It shoots nicely now. That front sight could still use a bit more narrowing. It is an aluminum extrusion. I don't dare take too much more off of it- not until I can find a sight hood to protect it...

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:51 am 

Just saw your posts. Nice find. I’m not a die hard collector but I’ve owned at least 10 Meteors and have never seen a peep like that for one.

About mounting the scope. I and a couple of friends have been putting old steel tube Weaver scopes on airguns for years and they seem to hold up really well. I’m trying to remember what’s the most powerful gun I’ve put one on and it might have been an HW85. I have some sitting on a BSA Airsporter, HW35 and a Webley Vulcan right now.

Also, the piston seal is an O ring. I’ve got a number of Meteors and I’ve replaced the piston seal with an Oring from a hardware store. Same with the breech seal. That’s one of the reasons I have a soft spot for them.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:32 pm 

Hi Scott-

From the little bit of info I've been able to get my hands on, the peep is just an insert that screws onto the back of the standard rear sight after the blade has been removed. Gun is d&t for it, and utilizes the recoil pin hole at the rear of the compression tube. I suppose I should do a few more pix of the rear sight- it would help explain things a lot. On it's own, that peep insert is pretty tiny, and would be easy to miss in the factory packaging.

Thanks for the info on the steel tube Weavers. I had the 4 X 1" Marksman on it last week, and should have did a photo.
I also have a K-3 60b box here I should photo up. Contrary to popular belief, the constantly centered reticles actually began with the 60b series, as did nitrogen filled tubes...

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:23 am 

Chickened out again tonight on the medium grade collector scope on this rifle.

However :wink:

I did mount an actual springer rated scope on it tonight- the UTG clone 3-12 X SF that is discussed on the review page.

It wants to shoot :shock:

I am floored by this. I wasn't expecting this! 5 8.2 gr Meisters at 12 M, 12 X on the scope. Front rest only. I have never seen consistency on a personal level like this out of a springer.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:34 am 

Nice shooting! =)
Looks you and that gun like each other!

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk