Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Which AR style BB gun?
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:43 pm 

I'm looking to buy another AR style BB gun. I see two new ones are coming to the market soon. Would anyone like to comments of the pro's & con's of each of theses and give serious buying advice.

The two are:

The Crosman DPMS SBR Full-Auto BB Rifle.
https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/crosman- ... rifle.html

And the Air Venturi Hellboy.
https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/hellboy- ... rifle.html

From what I have seen so far, Heelboy has velocity of 495 vs. 430 for Crosman, and it only require one 12 gm. CO2 vs. 2 for Crosman. But Crosman has FULL-AUTO!!! Which can be fun vs. just semi auto on Hellboy. And 30 shot mag on Crosman vs. only 18 shot on Hellboy.

Already have a Umarex Steel Force, so didn't really consider the new Umarex Steel Strike, as they seem similar, other the loading method and where the CO2 goes. Although, this one seems to be priced a lot less.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umarex_S ... Rifle/4567

I live in an urban area, so it would only be for plinking and target shooting.

I also have two similar airguns:

Legends MP40 full auto BB gun (limited edition weathered version), and a Swiss Arms Protector Uzi semi-auto (haven't tried to do the full auto mod yet).

All 3 (MP40, Uzi & Steel Force) are fairly accurate (esp. at around 25-30 ft.) and a blast to shoot. The Uzi has quite a kick for a small gun, and the MP40 makes a lot of noise in full auto when using indoors, for a CO2 gun.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:54 pm 

Well neither have arrived in Canada yet.

SBR is on pre order. And the Hell boy just got advertised last week. So be a bit before any reviews.

Personally I like the simple Hellboy a lot better. The SBR just looks like a lame new school tactical AR that makes everybody think they're an operator.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:53 pm 

I agree to pull the Steel Strike out of the competition right away, it looks goofy to me.

Now the Hellboy or the DPMS SBR... I too like the simplicity of the hellboy but I also like the operator appeal of the DPMS SBR.
For the record I also own the Steel Force and I like a lot.
The full auto isn't such a big deal since the Steel Force 6 shot bursts isn't far from full auto and you already have the MP40 and full auto will be a gas hog and risks freezing the thing. The GSG will shoot 2 or 3 mags in full auto with 1 CO2 and close to 20 shot mag, I think the DPMS will do the same on F.A., two, maybe three mags and you'll be done.

So we're left with mostly looks... I don't see many other choices but to buy both! I'm thinking the Hellboy first since it has less in common with the SteelForce.

I'm thinking these will get expensive with all the toys and gadgets we'll want to put on it them.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:43 pm 

Now that both the Crosman DPMS SBR, and the Hellboy are being sold in Canada (as well as the Steel Strike) anyone like to comment? Has anyone bought both, and done a side by side comparison? Has anyone compared either to the Umarex Steel Force?

Would be interested to hear actual reviews, from real consumers. Espically ones that have other types of AR air rifles.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:59 pm 

I like the DPMS most and almost place my order for the kit set... however while considering I need to save up money for a serious pellet rifle, I have to put this one backward in my shopping list...

I don't like the Steel Force as a current owner... Too tricky to shoot and better wall decoration than use it to shoot. And after we have the DPMS now, even the wall decoration position need to be given to the DPMS....

Sent from my LG cellphone

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:01 pm 

Personally I like the Old School Iron sight Hellboy. The SBR isn't something I like personally.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:07 pm 

Yeah ~ so actually these two guns are not comparable as the difference they have just showing they are designed for different ppl and you don't have the situation like I buy this and I don't need that... Either you will buy the one you like, or you have to buy both...

Personally I actually like the red dot for the DPMS very much and these two things fits each other very well ~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:37 pm 
Supporting Member 2010

Growing up in the 70s the M16 was my dream gun......the Hellboy gives me the nostalgic feeling :mrgreen:

If it takes all the aftermarket parts that the real one does, I could imagine some crazy looking customs

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:48 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Yeah ~ so actually these two guns are not comparable as the difference they have just showing they are designed for different ppl and you don't have the situation like I buy this and I don't need that... Either you will buy the one you like, or you have to buy both...

Personally I actually like the red dot for the DPMS very much and these two things fits each other very well ~

FYI the Hellboy you can remove the carrying handle. Giving you a flat top receiver. Just like the Real M4.

Quote:
Weaver/Picatinny optics rail (removable carry handle)
Full metal action, plastic only used on retractable stock, pistol grip, and handguard

I wonder if the SBR is all plastic?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:01 pm 

notec wrote:
Growing up in the 70s the M16 was my dream gun......the Hellboy gives me the nostalgic feeling :mrgreen:

If it takes all the aftermarket parts that the real one does, I could imagine some crazy looking customs
Same to me ~

However I changed and love the new AR styles more than the M14... Then I go a little further and love the short barrel designs.... and the shroud just added 10 points over the 100 scores!

So the DPMS SBR with the TAC red dot just really what I like...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:21 pm 

Well the Hellboy accuracy sure seems to suck big time! Look at the groups he's getting at 5 freaking meters, rested and waiting for the CO2 to warm up between shots! Looks like a wall decoration to me... and I really wanted both at first.
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2018/08/hellboy-semiautomatic-bb-gun-part-3/

Of course it's promo vid but Crosman was showing one of the guys shooting an aspirin off the top of a balloon!

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:49 pm 

DocGadget wrote:

Never think about one day we need to choose BBs for a BB gun just like pellets for my picky rifle.... Thank God there is just so little choices to pick.... if they got a 4.48-4.49-4.50-4.51-4.52 BBs from every brands..... :)

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender