Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:57 pm 

Most of our air guns have its safety, crossbolt, auto, manual, etc etc...

Just want to know the proper / correct way to use the safety....

On the book, it says before you really need to pull the trigger to shoot your gun, the safety must be on.

And on some YouTube video regarding the P17, P3 or say HW40. Some will mention the design of the safety on this gun is not good enough as it's only on the left side of the gun....

I might doing this at the incorrect / not safe enough way... I just hold the gun with my right hand, and press down the top slide with left hand to cock the gun... THEN, before I change my hand holding pose from right hand only to both handed, and right after my left hand push down the top slide, my left thumb will slide the safety forward to engage it to fire mode before leaving the gun... So actually before I aim, the safety is off and the gun in fire mode...

My question is are you aiming with safety on or off? If you aiming with safety on, turning it off doesn't affect your aiming?! So don't you have to aim again after you turn off the safety?! Isn't it just same as you turn off the safety first then aim and shoot?

Hmmmm.... Maybe safety on when you just looking for target, but turn it off before you seriously start aiming... And this will prevent you miss fire the gun when you change the gun from pointing the ground to pointing the target?!

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:10 pm 

Pistol at rest - or muzzle on the table, safety is removed, proper grip is applied to the pistol THEN pistol it raised & presented to the target.

THEN the finger is moved from the side of the trigger guard to touch the trigger only after aiming is started.

To aim THEN try to remove the safety means disturbing your 'proper' hold on the gun. That is not conducive to good shooting.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:17 pm 

I have a Diana 280 with an automatic safety when you cock it. As I bring the rifle down to aim, I click the safety off but keep my finger outside the trigger guard. Then when I get on target I put my finger on the trigger and take up the bit of slack. Then I squeeze until the gun fires.

With my 1740 I never really put the safety on because my finger is never near the trigger until I'm pointing the gun at the target and ready to shoot.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 pm 

Yeah... forgot to mention this, even before aiming, safety is removed, our trigger finger should be on the trigger guard not on the trigger... So there is nothing to be afraid of miss fire right?

So... don't know why some ppl think the one side safety of the HW40 is difficult to turn off for right handers.... It's silky smooth and so naturally to use my left hand thumb to turn off it after pushing down the slide and before rising the gun to the target with the right hand... I was thinking i did it wrong for such a long time....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:33 pm 

Not sure what you mean by missfire. A miss fire is when the gun fails to fire - it misses firing.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:03 pm 

Maybe there should be an other name....

I meant like I am aiming and I just put too much force on the trigger and the gun fired at the time I don't mean to fire it...

Of course it missed the target ( if it didn't missed, I won't say it's my luck to shoot the bullseye but I will say I just hit where I want to hit...lol)

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:21 pm 

Good questions Yep Yep. My Dad never trusted safeties, especially didn't trust I'd remember to put it on or take it off when he was teaching me to hunt deer. He took the Safety off my deer gun and made me carry it uncocked til acquiring a target then I'd have to cock it and aim and shoot. Gave the deer a bit more chance to escape =), but made it a little less chance I'd shoot someone. Never did get out of that habit. i still keep my gun uncocked til I'm going to shoot. It's a problem though with self indexing rotary mags cause you'll double feed the gun trying to uncock it. Anyway, probably time I learned how to use a safety properly too =)

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:25 am 

I had a crusty old CAF range master sergeant tell me the following:

"The safety on the gun is useless compared to the safety between your ears."

I've never forgotten those words.

My favorite hunting carry is de-cocked, empty chamber for powder burners.
Similar carry for my a/g's.

Most user manuals will tell you it is possible for the safety to fail. There is no substitution for safe handling and habits.
Fingers out of the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.
Be 100% sure that your target is actually a target of your intentions (whole nother can o'worms there).
Mallet test for sufficient sear engagement....
The rest of it is mostly common sense, like keeping safe control of your muzzle...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 am 

Learnt lots if things I don't know before ~ thanks guys!

It's true except the auto safety like the HW40, I seldom put the safety on on my other guns. But in some cases I loaded and cocked the gun and not able to shoot it right away, I will put on the safety... However in this case, I will be worrying about it all the time and mostly I will just shoot it point to the ground ( mud, grass etc) and shoot it out rather than trust the safety.... We can't unload the pellet from a loaded air gun like the bullet in the powder burner, right?!

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:18 am 

Infantry me will say. Once you charged or cocked the gun. And flick it off once you ready to pull the trigger.

All depends on you're level of comfort. If I gotta put the gun down, I will use it, or lift up the bolt handle on my PBs. But most of the time I will clear it before putting it down. But I try and not to rely on manual safeties. Pointed always in a safe direction and finger off the trigger.

I'll use them when I have to. IE action ranges where I gotta move around, because greater chances of dropping it. When I was carrying 16 hours a day with a round in the chamber.

Fridays when I'm shooting PPCs, we shoot from the 45. I don't think any of us use the safety. Unless we have a squib or something that the pistol needs to be taken off the line to the repair bench.

But I don't think I really ever use airgun safeties.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:58 am 

lol ~ you should buy a gun with auto safety ~ I didn't use the safeties lots before I have my HW40s... Now I have been using it form thousands times already I think ~ [emoji16][emoji16]

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:08 am 

YepYep wrote:
lol ~ you should buy a gun with auto safety ~ I didn't use the safeties lots before I have my HW40s... Now I have been using it form thousands times already I think ~ [emoji16][emoji16]

I got a P17. I don't like the auto safety.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

leadslinger wrote:
I got a P17. I don't like the auto safety.

Same here. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:54 am 

YepYep wrote:

I meant like I am aiming and I just put too much force on the trigger and the gun fired at the time I don't mean to fire it...

Of course it missed the target ( if it didn't missed, I won't say it's my luck to shoot the bullseye but I will say I just hit where I want to hit...lol)

That just shows you need more practice. It's all part and parcel of learning to shoot that gun. You learn to let up pressure when the sights move off centre, or have the trigger/sear "break" at exactly the right time. All part of learning to shoot.

A miss fire is when the fun fails to go off when you pull the trigger. Always a mechanical problem of one sort or another.

Discharging the gun by pulling the trigger when the sights are not right, is human error.

A faulty sear can also cause the gun to discharge at the wrong time - that is a mechanical error, of course.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:02 pm 

Daryl wrote:
YepYep wrote:

That just shows you need more practice. It's all part and parcel of learning to shoot that gun. You learn to let up pressure when the sights move off centre, or have the trigger/sear "break" at exactly the right time. All part of learning to shoot.

A miss fire is when the fun fails to go off when you pull the trigger. Always a mechanical problem of one sort or another.

Discharging the gun by pulling the trigger when the sights are not right, is human error.

A faulty sear can also cause the gun to discharge at the wrong time - that is a mechanical error, of course.

Why I like shooting club league PPC every Friday. Can get pointers and watch yourself improve.

I only started to shoot PPC back in Oct, and I was lucky to score 800's, Last week, I scored the highest score I ever shot ( 949/960) and won the match. Lately Ive been breaking 930's more often.