Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:50 pm 

Yeah, you need to put much time and effort into practice as you can, and keep practicing without interrupt to get improved...

However shooting just a hobby not my careers... Can't have enough time to shoot ~ but it's very rewarding when you see you make the progress ~

Sent from my LG cellphone

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:46 pm 

Powder burners, Crossbows are way different than pellet guns. It is a pellet gun. By habit I just take off safety right after I cock the gun, raise and shoot. Powder burners and crossbows I line up target then shut off safety while on target, readjust if need be and fire.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:04 pm 

I was taught at a very young age to keep my snot picker, off the boom switch until on target. i hate safeties. they give a false sense of security. They are mechanical, and do fail. I've seen it first hand. Never point a gun at anything you don't want to kill. Simple. My new competition trap gun has no safety.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 pm 

I have CF Mausers without safeties, but then I never carry them with a round in the chamber. There is ALWAYS time to
throw a round into the chamber and close the bolt on it. I have never been in a situation when hunting, to need a pre-loaded
rifle.

Good stuff, leadslinger - rewarding, isn't it. PPC is a game I never got into. I did shoot IPSC for a while - maybe "A" class in about 1976
likely be for there was much competition - LOL.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:33 am 

Daryl wrote:
I have CF Mausers without safeties, but then I never carry them with a round in the chamber. There is ALWAYS time to
throw a round into the chamber and close the bolt on it. I have never been in a situation when hunting, to need a pre-loaded
rifle.

Good stuff, leadslinger - rewarding, isn't it. PPC is a game I never got into. I did shoot IPSC for a while - maybe "A" class in about 1976
likely be for there was much competition - LOL.

Most of my PB bolts are milsurps so kinda don't trust the safeties on it. Lifting the bolt up is normally the safety I use.

Thanks. Yeah Its nice to see yourself climb the ladder. I shot IPSC many years ago. Mainly for fun though, did win some classes. I started with a factory ported Glock 17, so I was against race guns. Now when your 17 it didn't matter. But I stopped because I started to get better and better, so I became a threat to the competition, so they just started to play dirty and kept on trying to get me DQ'd

I blinked when a new guy came in to watch us shoot PPC and said he shoots revolver class in IPSC. I bet he might be the only one here that shoots that class now.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:13 am 

Revolvers are challenging in IPSC, that's for sure. I started off with a M29 4", using 275 SWC and 17gr. 2400 in Special cases. Switching to a stock to a 1911 got me into "A". My last 'bout' was in 1982 iirc where I went back to a wheel gun, a 1917 .45 New Service Colt. That was fun.

There can be a lot of 'dissent' and 'fixing' if you are not in the local 'group'. That happened back in about 75 or 76 in BC. The normal "hot-shot" came in with a poor score and the 'guy running the shoot let him shoot his screw-up stage again so he could be the winner as usual. There were a lot of hard feelings over that and one of the reasons I quit for 4 years, shot a couple more times, then quit for good.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:37 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Revolvers are challenging in IPSC, that's for sure. I started off with a M29 4", using 275 SWC and 17gr. 2400 in Special cases. Switching to a stock to a 1911 got me into "A". My last 'bout' was in 1982 iirc where I went back to a wheel gun, a 1917 .45 New Service Colt. That was fun.

There can be a lot of 'dissent' and 'fixing' if you are not in the local 'group'. That happened back in about 75 or 76 in BC. The normal "hot-shot" came in with a poor score and the 'guy running the shoot let him shoot his screw-up stage again so he could be the winner as usual. There were a lot of hard feelings over that and one of the reasons I quit for 4 years, shot a couple more times, then quit for good.

M29 4" Ouch. We had a guy on my Black Badge course in the early 2000s, he was trying to complete it using a 44 mag. Well needless to say he didn't pass for the 2nd time trying. His hands couldnt handle the constant pounding.

Couple months ago, I was running a new Alfa Project 9mm ( yes 9x19 ) with moon clips. I scored a 921/960. Reloading that was a breeze, moonclips are much more faster than speed loaders. Last week we had 3 revolvers. All watching them struggle on the reloads.

Couple people I shoot PPC with shoot IPSC. We had this one guy from the IPSC crowd try PPC. No offense to older people. But slow doesn't mean safe. PPC everything is based off 6 shots, well he would just empty 10rd mags, then used the excuse I had my mags loaded for IPSC. Or he just keep on pulling the trigger on a DA/SA and never once did he try and find out why it wasn't shooting. But makes me wonder how he ever completed his black badge course. Because we asked him nicely to pay attention or not show up.

I think in the 4 years I shot IPSC, I got actually DQ'ed once. I was running right to left, and had to go around a wall to engage targets on the side and happened to clip the wall with my muzzle pointing it backwards.

But back to the original question. I had a 1911 sear let go. This is one of those make sure where you point your muzzle AT all times. I went to drop down to kneel with my foot out, went to reload, once I pushed the slide lock, the round chambered and went off.

Never know when accidents like this will happen.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:47 am 

Shooting the .44 or other heavy recoiling guns, is a learned thing. 12 rounds in 7 seconds was my best with the .44.
It is hard on the wrists and palms.