Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:04 pm 

I have this question for a long time... but always forget to ask...

There are many quick release scope mounts in the market...

But to my experience, looks even I just loose a screw of my zeroed scope, I have to re-sighted it again.... Of course this may not means you need to start over completely and turn lots lots round on the turrets to setup the scope again...

So, I don't know how come ppl can use the quick release to take a scope off this gun then attach it to the other gun in some seconds and keep shooting without zeroing issue.....

Even on the same gun, are you sure the mounts will be clicked to the exact same spots? If it was put closer to your eye or closer to the muzzle, you don't need to re zero it?!

Sent from my LG cellphone

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:03 pm 

These work for me - low, medium and high in both 1" and 30mm.

https://dlairgun.com/collections/leaper ... um-profile

When replacing a scope on the mount with these, I gently wiggled the scope as I snugged up one, then the other lever. I've done this only once and they returned to zero perfectly.

I thought that was pretty good for "cheap air rifle stuff".

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:06 pm 

Moving it around really no need to re zero the scope?? How come?

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:38 am 

Burris signature rings have been very good to me in this respect. They return to a very good zero. Although not truly QRW, the coin slot heads are easily dismounted, and just as easily re-mounted without loss of zero.

I also have the signature rings in dovetail mount, and use a reference point along the rails. I have not lost zero on those either. I actually think it's pretty hard to lose zero if the tight contact against the scope tube of the rings is maintained. On and off bases or rails seems to make no difference to me... Most Weaver rings are just as good at maintaining zero. Split vertical clamshell rings are a real paint in the butt for maintaining zero, because the tension against the scope tube must be relieved for mounting/dismounting.

Never been fortunate enough to have 2 guns share a zero close enough that one scope could be used between them without re-setting zero's, but that's just me and my experience.

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:23 am 

Some use them to keep the scope from getting damaged in the cabinet/safe or to use smaller gun cases.

The theory is if you put it back in the same spot, with the same amount of TQ it should be the same.

I had one at work that were apparently RTZ. They worked okay, Were close to the zero.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:53 am 

Yeah, this is another reason I didn't think about it before as I never use a cabinet for guns ( only one 953 is that long, other pistols usually in their small cases)... It's so true to protect the great investment and which so fragile ...

I thought ppl will use different scopes on the same gun , and need to change one to another from time to time....

Or same scope for different guns... I know some of you have more than one 2240 etc...

Anyone try to use one scope for different 2240, 1322 ( more than two), as the steel breech and the guns are similar or say same design, we should be able to do that without zeroing again??

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:07 am 

YepYep wrote:
Yeah, this is another reason I didn't think about it before as I never use a cabinet for guns ( only one 953 is that long, other pistols usually in their small cases)... It's so true to protect the great investment and which so fragile ...

I thought ppl will use different scopes on the same gun , and need to change one to another from time to time....

Or same scope for different guns... I know some of you have more than one 2240 etc...

Anyone try to use one scope for different 2240, 1322 ( more than two), as the steel breech and the guns are similar or say same design, we should be able to do that without zeroing again??

Gun cabinets hold less once your scope it. I only have 1 scoped rifle now. Still a choir to get to the guns.

Sounds like a challenge for you to try.

People I know only have the QD mounts to change optics around. IE if they are running a AR15 in a CQB match they will put on a red dot, if they doing mid to long range, they will put a scope. Or they have a gun in a case with the foam cut out for different optics.

I don't really see any precision people that deal with QD mounts.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:18 pm 

One day at the range last summer a fellow showed up with his British Sniper Rifle chambered .338 Lapua, the same rifle they used in Irag and Afghanistan. I do not remember the 'name/model' of the rifle. Along with it in the gun case in it's own slot, was it's unattached scope in detachable rings. The rifle was $10,000.00 CDN, and scope another $5,000.00. The lad took the scope out of the case, clamped it with the levers on his 'special' rings, then fired a shot.

That shot hit 1/4" high, over the exact centre of the + in the bullseye. He then asked if I wanted to shoot it. My shot 1/2 cut into his hole.
That's pretty good for taking a scope out of the gun box, mounting it and then shooting and having it virtually spot-on.

Some time back while guiding a fall hunt, at the camp, one of the hunters for Yugoslavia had a 9.3x62 Styre rifle, cased, with it's Zeiss scope lying in it's own slot, mounted in claw mounts(look it up).

He removed the scope and rifle from the case, snapped the scope onto the rifle- CLICK! and knelt at the bench, firing one shot at the 100meter target. That shot hit exactly centre, but 6" high, with
his Sako factory ammo. I was spotting him and noted that shot was very high. He then took out of page from Sako, showing that ammunition, with the 285gr. Oryx bullet, if striking 6" high at 100 meters, will zero at 200 meters. The scope had not moved as I had thought - but was striking exactly the same as it did when he sighted it in in Yugoslavia! THAT is a good mount.
A German chap told me last year, those mounts, bases and rings(special) were $1,000.00 themselves.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:20 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
YepYep wrote:

Gun cabinets hold less once your scope it. I only have 1 scoped rifle now. Still a choir to get to the guns.

Sounds like a challenge for you to try.

People I know only have the QD mounts to change optics around. IE if they are running a AR15 in a CQB match they will put on a red dot, if they doing mid to long range, they will put a scope. Or they have a gun in a case with the foam cut out for different optics.

I don't really see any precision people that deal with QD mounts.

All my rifles have their own scope. I've never hear of two guns shooting to the same poi with the same scope - ie: move the scope to a different gun, have to re-sight - ALWAYS.