Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: What airgun to bring
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:52 pm 

Cousins on my wife side of the family rented a big cottage for the labor day week-end, we should be around 20 something adults and a bunch of kids.
We do have one or two hunters but most don't know guns of any kind so I wanted to bring something along to plink during the week-end.
I was thinking handgun so it's easier for kids to try and it's less intimidating for the adults who are scared or don't know guns.
Pellets so there is no ricochet.
And springer for ease of use, quietness and because I don't want to cock my P17 all day long or fiddle with a CO2 cart.

Now what do I bring? Am I forgeting something?
I probably already own some of your suggestions and if I don't... well what a great reason to get a new gun!!!

The HW45 seems like a good idea but I'm not sure I want everyone to handle my somewhat highend German gun... but I do have the optional butt stock so it would be a nice addition for those who want to try it out.
The Buckmark seems like the easiest and best option for the moment. Easy to cock, sturdyish, quiet and accurate enough to kill plenty of empty cans...

What do you guys think? Am I day dreaming here? Or should I just throw caution to the wind and bring the SteelForce so every other parent hates me so I can get rid of the inlaws forever and be banned from familly reunions?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

Post subject: Re: What airgun to bring
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:16 pm 

Cometa Indian. It's dead easy to cock (crank?), which makes it easy to shoot all day. The loading tray might seem a bit fiddly but becomes second nature after a couple of minutes.
You will also get bonus points for "something a bit different". Like a fool, sold mine... :(

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:47 pm 

Having done this a few times at the inlaws in muskoka... cheap, light (or lite as in the lite version of light?), easy to cock, did i say cheap as in dropped on the table or worst, Shirley not a hw anything.
That being said, rifles, gives you way way way more time to intervene in case of loss of muzzle control (and really hw ok, but id stay away from pistols in that kind of setting unless ppl are familiar with them) PLUS the trigger on a 45 or 40 is also so light (haha) that mishaps can happen too easily.

My 5c

edit;
BRING SAFETY GLASSES (bunch of cheap 3$ ones even)
randomly throwing around the 4 vital acts and PROVE gets you bonus points with the inlaws as well :P

MP 61 PCP conversion Summer Biathlon

HW 45
HW 80

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:12 pm 

shoot wrote:
Having done this a few times at the inlaws in muskoka... cheap, light (or lite as in the lite version of light?), easy to cock, did i say cheap as in dropped on the table or worst, Shirley not a hw anything.
That being said, rifles, gives you way way way more time to intervene in case of loss of muzzle control (and really hw ok, but id stay away from pistols in that kind of setting unless ppl are familiar with them) PLUS the trigger on a 45 or 40 is also so light (haha) that mishaps can happen too easily.

My 5c

Cheap is a good idea too, that puts the HW45 or a Cometa Indian out. The Buckmark is getting more interesting.
How about the Crosman Trail NP? Is it too much? How if I make the shoot on a rest? It would be safer and would improve the muzzle control.
The pistol is much easier to bring there, if the occasion presents itself I can easily go get it from the car. It's so much more easy to handle than a rifle. I was having a hard time getting my son to hold the Mod.74 correctly and some kids have a shorter attention span than him. The pistol is easier and also has that cool factor.
Maybe a Slavia 618 could be a good option too?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:07 pm 

I'd bring a cheaper gun that can take some abuse. Nothing co2 or pcp. Something reasonably accurate. D34? Maybe it's cheap clone like a airhawk. Out of my inventory I would bring the 953 scoped. Very quiet and enough power to punch cans at 20 yards.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 pm 

sand bags /rest where they go and/or go back or dont move from are ideal (AND SHOULD BE YOUR RULES OR NO SHOOTING), picnic table where its all set in the proper safe direction and traffic control as to make sure no one walks in front of are all must haves. Its like a backyard pool, someone thinks the other one is watching, but none are, CANT BE TOO SAFE. Pistols and rifles are fine as long as someone is watching and within arms length and understands what those are.

The thing for me about pistols and its not an issue when enforcing rules, is;
Did i take the safety off correctly (insert kids name) while pointing the muzzle ackwardly showing you the left removed hw40 safety off(the sky...). It just happens, be ready for it, because if it can, it will at some point. rifles cant be put in your face while sitting beside someone.

Did i say SAFETY GLASSES?, you know the things we carry but don't use all that much...

MP 61 PCP conversion Summer Biathlon

HW 45
HW 80

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:08 am 

I use airsoft spring pistols with orange tips at my trailer in park. Have pellet traps with foam layer in them. You can not even hear them shoot. Very accurate. Crossman Stinger stays in my lawn chair pocket. Cheap to shoot and Blackbirds do not like me anymore. LOL Not intimidating to other campers seeing a clear pistol with an orange tip. I have others when my nabor is not at their trailer. Little more intimidating when they are all metal and reddot and torch lights on them. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:23 pm 

Sounds like a Bad Idea to Me.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:26 am 

Personally, I rather introduce people to sport shooting using rifles... It's much easier to enforce safe muzzle control.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:58 pm 

sillymike wrote:
Personally, I rather introduce people to sport shooting using rifles... It's much easier to enforce safe muzzle control.

My feelings on this, exactly, sillymike & Doc. For those new to the sport - rifles are the best for teachi9ng and all-round fun, I feel.
When EVERYONE is familiar with rifles and has been shooting for a while- then one on one instruction with handguns might be in order if
the interest is there.
For a family "group" setting - I would never bring handguns. Sub 500fps rifles, large and small.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:53 pm 

Daryl wrote:
sillymike wrote:

My feelings on this, exactly, sillymike & Doc. For those new to the sport - rifles are the best for teachi9ng and all-round fun, I feel.
When EVERYONE is familiar with rifles and has been shooting for a while- then one on one instruction with handguns might be in order if
the interest is there.
For a family "group" setting - I would never bring handguns. Sub 500fps rifles, large and small.

I don't want to bring airgun"S", I was planning to bring one and since it's mine, I will be controlling it at all times.
We do have 2 hunters, one RPAL license owner and a corporal or some other kind of officer (I've only seen him once).
The thing with the rifle is the lenght of explanation and setting up the rifle on the shoulder, head placement etc.
Pistol on the rest, line up the sights, you're good to go and as they're trying the thing with me cocking each shot I keep explaining the rules. The pistol will never leave my hand appart from the actual shot.

If do go the rifle route instead, I don't have much kid sized "cheap" rifles. The Daisy mod. 74 is a repeater, the Steel Force would be very easy to hold but not super accurate and even worst than the 74, so I'm left with the RedRyder and Marlin Cowboy and they're ALL BB guns which I don't want to bring.
So Slavia 618... but I don't want to risk a kid banging the pretty wood stock on something.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:57 pm 

How about the new Stoeger XP4?
Seems like a decent pistol. I do have a lot more handguns than rifles.