Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:05 pm 

Can anyone give me advice on where to get replacement brass washers for my break barrel (Benjamin Charger)? The Crosman part number is B18-00-15A and they are the washers where the barrel pivots. The closest washer I could find were steel quarter inch but after enlarging the centre hole the washer still was too thick. I don't want the original parts because they are only plastic and I think I've already shaved some of their thickness on one side from disassembly of the rifle. Also would I have to alter brass washers in any way? Any advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:59 am 

I've found near-fitting 5/16'' brass washer in the plumbery dep. at CanTire but they need to be shaved for the right thickness. IIRC, the outer diameter is a bit too big too. You may check in other hardware stores, maybe you'll be lucky and find the right size.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:06 am 

Thought I had seen a brass washer kit at Princess Auto.

Looks like it was copper:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/110-pc-copper-washer-assortment/A-p8768988e

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/110-pc-copper-washer-kit/A-p8092215e

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:18 am 

Thank you for the replies. There's no Princess auto near me but there is a Canadian Tire. I'll try there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:06 pm 

I use 5/16" SAE brass washers which are ~ .750OD and need to be sized down to ~.700-710 to fit your gun. The OD is the important dimension so ideally size to be a snug fit. The ID is not important as long as its big enough to fit over the sleeve dealie. Those washers are supposed to be .0625" but like everything else they cheap out so all I usually find is ~.058". The .0625 is about the right size but the guns machine work varies, as a result so does the needed washer thickness. Since the barrel block side is usually very rough and will tear up the brass, I highly recommend making plastic washers from tough thin plastic that are placed agains that surface. The "ear" side of the gun is also rough so I suggest sanding it smoother. It doesn't need to perfect at all, just smoothed up so it won't tear up the brass. Since the plastic home made washer and brass will now be too thick, you need to thin the brass via sanding. I use a full sheet of sand paper taped to a very flat surface and I sand it by rubbing it on the paper in circles, changing directions and rotating so it gets sanded evenly. I also use a caliper to verify it's even and adj as needed to make it so. Ideally the plastic shim washer should be glued to the barrel block so it cannot spin and get tore up, just be sure it's glued/cured nice n even so ideally use the brass washer to apply pressure while it dries.
The washer needs to be the perfect thickness to work right b/c too loose and your barrel can move side to side, or you tighten the bolt to make it tight and you bow the ears so they're no longer true. The biggest risk can be the bolt locks up when tightened and has to be drilled out, so be wary. They are tapered and by design do this, but being poorly machined they usually don't, but it still happens. So ideally you want the bolt only mildly tight, which holds the barrel block and washers snug and true which is what you want. So to get that I make the brass washers so it's rather snug fit when putting the barrel block in the ears and would seem to be tight enough w/o the bolt. The bolt will snug it up and compensate for any compression in the assy and no doubt counter any spreading of the ears the tight fit caused. Normally this would likely be a bit too tight, but if the surfaces are properly prepped and lubed it'll work out perfectly and barrel will have as little side to side movement and possible, but not excessive friction for cocking. Optionally you can use steel washers which may be .0625 and need no thinning. Being harder they don't need that plastic shim and will have even less barrel play, but the rough surfaces in the gun will be flattened down with use and the barrel will have play. You can tighten the bolt to compensate, but the more you do the more you risk bowing the ears and not being parallel, and locking up the bolt.
It's too much to explain all the details here, like the surface prep and lube, how to size the washers od, and there are optional ways to do this job, but it's in my guide which is free; chevota at hotmail. Just tell me what gun and what is it you want.