Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: PCP Questions/Advice
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:29 pm 

Hi all, thinking of stepping into the world of PCP rifles. It would be for target use 99% of the time. I have .22's for critters. I was watching u-tube of the Gauntlet, Marauder and others on the weekend. I think I would like to try the hand pump first before investing in a 120 volt pump, although sometimes buying once is better. I like the idea of having a magazine rather than single shot although one guy shot better groups out of the Gauntlet by using the single shot tray. Dollarwise I like the price of Gauntlet although I could stretch the price to a Marauder if it is that much better. Also what caliber, .177 or .22. I have read that both are more accurate than the other. What experience do you have? Or should I just buy an entry level Beeman? And of course I will need a scope for up to a 100 yards if the video's are accurate. And of course the cheapest place to buy all of this :D

Post subject: Re: PCP Questions/Advice
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:53 pm 

That Gauntlet is great for target shooting, since you get so many shots, and has the same magazine as the Marauder.
Canadashootingsupply.ca has good price on the Gauntlet.
Regulated too. Some great deals on other pcp on the forum here I believe, can't remember the particular models.

I've got a hand pump and some nice mil dot side focus ao 30mm scopes on my website if you are interested =).

They are in the canadian sales section. "airgunforumfun" coupon gives an extra 7% off
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/canadian-sales-section/
Best of luck!

Wes

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:41 pm 

Well down side is 177 is going to be effected by the wind more, esp if you're going to try for 100Y? So you're going to be stuck using heavier pellets. Most people I know stick with 12-16x. And they're in the NUAH club ( nothing under a hundred ) Basically shooting under 4" at 100Y. I know with my Powder burners I have no issues using even a 4X at 100, but I got nothing more than a 9x. But I'm upgrading my Kral to a 12-16x soon.

I have no problem topping up my Kral with a 330 CC tube from 100 to 200 BAR, which is larger than the Mrod with a 80$ chinese hand pump. I also have a shoebox compressor that I can fill up as well.

If your goal is 100, you might want the 22. But personally I like 177 ( cheaper pellets ) Because I'm not shooting out to 100.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:07 pm 

lot's of 1/2 false in this post .177 in the wind is better then .22 since it has less surface for the wind to push on.
at same speeds .177 is better since other factor enter in like gravity and a bigger .22 has more air to push to move in the air
all factor that most of you don't look at.

Bar None .177 is the best ammo in any condition at same speeds, and even at slower speeds within reason.

and if my writing skills where better I would give more details but this is about all I can explain and that you will understand.

Back to topic.

PCP/HPA is a very big investment in the long run since at first a pump will be good, then you get a tank and few hoses
then better pump and compressor and then more tanks and more sirgun it won't end.
but it is a different machine no kick and very tuneable.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:35 pm 

My understanding at 100 yards. A heavier pellet will retain it's kinetic energy for a longer duration which equates into distance traveled. The 177 will have an trajectory advantage but as distance is traveled the loss in kinetic energy will leave a lighter pellet more susceptible to the directional influence of wind. My conclusion is on a perfectly calm day or indoors a 177 is easier to shoot accurately but 22 is inherently more accurate when wind is present.

Given the suggested price range I would stick with the gauntlet. That's a lot of gun at that price point and will only get better as it is shot more.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:13 pm 

ok get you self chair gun on your cell phone and enter all info in it and compare the 2 ammos and you will understand what i'm saying.
don't forget to add wind distance weight humidity everything and then look at graphics for the trajectory.

.22 is like a parachute compared to .177

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:20 pm 

Crosshair - I have the Gauntlet, but I rather wish I had bought the Cometa instead.
The 64 to 70 shots from each fill in the high powered Gauntlet is rather nice, though.

https://dlairgun.com/collections/cometa-rifles

this one

https://dlairgun.com/collections/cometa ... s/orion-sh

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:59 am 

FRANK wrote:
ok get you self chair gun on your cell phone and enter all info in it and compare the 2 ammos and you will understand what i'm saying.
don't forget to add wind distance weight humidity everything and then look at graphics for the trajectory.

.22 is like a parachute compared to .177

I don't need a program to tell me this. You don't see long range shooters using lighter bullets. Most switch to heavier bullet.

Shooting my 177 at about 15 kph winds. It always windy where I live. I needed to bump up the FPS from 750-800 to around 1000, just to cut the wind a bit better, but still effect by wind. Now the solution is heavier pellet.

And if you see light weight bullets, they are also going way faster. Like 17 HMR VS 22LR.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:10 am 

The Ballistic Coefficient of the pellet/bullet is a huge contributor to actual drop and wind effect. At some point, higher speed will overcome a higher BC

projectile started at a lower speed. This is VERY evident in Cf rifle bullets, where most of my shooting takes place.

Drop and wind drift is effected by both BC and speed.

an example:

In my HW springers, the .177 is much flatter shooting than the .22 over my normal air-gun gopher ranges of out to 55-60yards max. I know this due

to the big difference in elevation needed in each rifle for hits to those range. The rifles are both in the 14.5fpe range, thus there is a great disparity

in actual speed & the lower BC bullet wins out due to it's much higher speed. I have not noticed any wind drift difference, though.

2 bullets/pellets having the same BC AND the same velocity will have exactly the same drop and wind drift over the same ranges. Increasing the BC of one

of them but keeping the same speed will have the higher BC bullet traveling flatter and having less wind drift. If you increase the BC, but reduce the velocity, at

some point, the higher BC bullet will have more drop and wind drift than the faster one. Computer programs make it easy to show at what point this happens, given

enough data input.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:24 am 

Good info Daryl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:45 pm 

Thanks for all of the reply's. Still undecided. LOL Need to do more research, and there are new ones coming out this year. So many guns, so little time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:09 am 

Canadashootingsupply.ca has a Diana storm rider for sale, unless it sold already. It's also available on airgunsource.ca
3000psi fill, 9 shot magazine in 177 7 shot in 22. This is more a hunting gun though as it has a pretty small resevoir.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:12 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Crosshair - I have the Gauntlet, but I rather wish I had bought the Cometa instead.
The 64 to 70 shots from each fill in the high powered Gauntlet is rather nice, though.

https://dlairgun.com/collections/cometa-rifles

this one

https://dlairgun.com/collections/cometa ... s/orion-sh

For a few dollars more you can get a Kral. Comes with 2 mags, Cometa only comes with one and Its like 60$ for a spare.

Actually they have a 177 Marine Syn for same price as the Cometa. And slick side lever to boot. I'm sure Raman can get the 22 cal in stock if you decide on a 22.

http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/kral ... 7-cal.html

Why? I heard the bolt is pretty hard to cock.

My Kral has a 330 CC tube. I get about 60 good shots on med to high power ( like 900 FPS ) 50 ish on high power (1000 FPS )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:09 pm 

That's a great shot count and a beautiful looking gun to boot =)
(especially the walnut version) =)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:59 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
That's a great shot count and a beautiful looking gun to boot =)
(especially the walnut version) =)

Thanks. It does have a 330 cc tube = 20 CI. So it has a air res larger than a Gauntlet ( 13 CI )

3, 14rd mags ( 42 shots ) at 900FPS ( 8.3s ) used only 50 BAR, I think 6 mags at mid power ( 800 ) drops it down to 100 BAR. Full power with 14.97 is 26 FPE. Next non windy day Ill try and group it. Its way more accurate than I am. Plus never a non windy day.