Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:25 pm 

Maybe I've set it before, I just want to say I'm so thankful for this great place to meet other Canadians that love air gunning. It's for the most part, a great respectful place to share and help one another in the sport. Lots of great people! It'd be interesting to pool together ideas of what could be done to encourage the next generation, since the culture seems to continue to be moving further away from anything to do with guns, much the same way we are losing touch with where our food comes from, and all kinds of other basic survival skills that we would desperately need if we ever lose our modern technology. I suppose the scouts and army/air cadets are about the only organizations that still teach shooting skills to young people, besides the hunters safety courses. Maybe you guys in the cities are more familiar with other clubs and competitions for younger people?
I'm thinking of enrolling with two of my girls in an archery club this fall, but it'd be great to have an airgun club in the area! Maybe after joining this archery club for awhile and seeing how it works I'll have to see if there is interest in getting an airgun club going in my area, and help start one.
Any other ideas? Would be nice to see this sport and forum grow here to be vibrant and filled with new younger members, not that I don't enjoy it as it is =).
Wes

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:27 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Maybe I've set it before, I just want to say I'm so thankful for this great place to meet other Canadians that love air gunning. It's for the most part, a great respectful place to share and help one another in the sport. Lots of great people! It'd be interesting to pool together ideas of what could be done to encourage the next generation, since the culture seems to continue to be moving further away from anything to do with guns, much the same way we are losing touch with where our food comes from, and all kinds of other basic survival skills that we would desperately need if we ever lose our modern technology. I suppose the scouts and army/air cadets are about the only organizations that still teach shooting skills to young people, besides the hunters safety courses. Maybe you guys in the cities are more familiar with other clubs and competitions for younger people?
I'm thinking of enrolling with two of my girls in an archery club this fall, but it'd be great to have an airgun club in the area! Maybe after joining this archery club for awhile and seeing how it works I'll have to see if there is interest in getting an airgun club going in my area, and help start one.
Any other ideas? Would be nice to see this sport and forum grow here to be vibrant and filled with new younger members, not that I don't enjoy it as it is =).
Wes

Ive been a member of a few gun clubs. The few with indoor ranges. Seems to have a youth/JR program and a airgun program.

One in Halifax did, because I was a Jr member. And Monday was airguns. My club has a 4H youth program, no airgun night on the calendar, but I assume its mixed with the rifle night ( 22 LR )

It should be easy to setup a indoor airgun club. Just need a space 20M long or longer, Could do what the cadets does and make traps that you can setup in Gyms.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 pm 

Interesting, I didn't know the cadets did that. We never had that option when I was in cadets but it's great to hear they've been able to get permission to use gyms in some places anyway! I'd like to see the traps they use.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Interesting, I didn't know the cadets did that. We never had that option when I was in cadets but it's great to hear they've been able to get permission to use gyms in some places anyway! I'd like to see the traps they use.

This was 99-2000s before I joined the reserves.

Yup when I was in Cadets we paraded at a school. When we did any shooting, we were shot facing the wall at the gym. We were only using hovering around 500 FPS Daisy 853s with wadcutters. So I think the traps where just thin wood frame with heavy cardboard, with a thick canvas angled backing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:21 pm 

OK well that must have been a lot of fun. We paraded in the gym too, but only got to use the guns at camp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:16 pm 

The school boards in Edmonton, will have nothing to do with air gun clubs shooting in their gyms. That's not only sad sad, but it's also a major irritant to me. When trying to find a shooting venue for the Edmonton Air Gun League (EAGLE), we even went so far as to talk to the property manager that was managing all of the old schools waiting to be leased or sold. No child will ever go in those buildings again as a student, but nope, no way was it appropriate for taxpayers to use their property for such a seedy purpose. (This was the school board, not the property manager, who persued the issue with the bureaucrats on our behalf).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:26 pm 

Crazy hey!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:30 pm 

We (air cadets) shot on Wed. evenings at Wolsley barracks, downtown London Ont. We used Mark 1 #3's converted to .22LR. Seems to me, Saturday evening was straight

drill from 7:00 until 9:00PM. Seems to me, we only shot 25 yards, all prone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:13 am 

We shot at Lipsett Hall in what used to be part of CFB Winnipeg. (air cadets late 60's early 70's)
No a/g for us. There was a mish-mash of Lee Enfield trainers- both mark III no. 1 and no.1 Mark IV. all .22 l/r.

There were a couple of Dads that would show up with 52-C's with the hand stops and redfield competition sights.
We shot both 25 and 50 yds and used sand bag traps, naturally enough. Bit of a trick shooting the battle sights at 50 though.
The few guys that could do it seemed to be the eyeglasses wearing type.

Getting up interest in an a/g club is going to take a bit of doing. We here in this city can't garner up interest enough to have a shoot day- never mind a club...

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:36 am 

That must have been great =)
Yeah you're probably right, not easy to get a bunch of people on board and organized.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
That must have been great =)
Yeah you're probably right, not easy to get a bunch of people on board and organized.

Getting people is easy. Finding a place that will allow to shoot airguns be the hardest. Plus would have to keep them sub 500 FPS because any higher and they be firearms, and most local bylaws would prevent them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:39 am 

Right, probably best for youngsters anyway, though in hunters safety at 12 we were shooting shotguns and everything. Still, keeping it under 500fps makes sense, especially indoor shooting.