Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:28 am 

I'm wondering what everybody uses for rests to support their airguns in accuracy shooting?

The bipod adapter on my Kral sucks. I never found it stayed on tight and likes to twists loose even with locktite. Marring the stock ( they didn't curve the rail for the stock ) I'm trying a couple bags on a tripod, and wood block and its fine, but sucks if you want to go from one range to another. The adjustment kinda sucks on the tripod ( fixed legs )

I thought about those caldwell shooting bags. But kinda don't like the IDEA of squeezing the bag to make the gun go up and down.

Kinda stuck in a pickle. Need something that raises the back up that I can shoot 20M and less, but also lift the front up to shoot 20 - 60M

What do you use?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:17 pm 

Just about all the groups I post here are shot the same way.
Indoors, I stack boxes on top of a garbage can to a workable height, then drape my soft rifle case over the top. Air rifles especially have a tendency to shoot away from hard rest surfaces. I've never seen a need for a rear rest- under the fore-arm on the soft rifle case is enough for my purposes.

My problem is getting back to off-hand :rolleyes: after prolonged bench test sessions. It takes a while....

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:15 pm 

I have one of those little V-shaped Caldwell bags that is supposed to go on the metal bench stand and use it on top of the ammo box when seated. Works well and is small enough to go inside the box for transport.
I also have a "mini sandbag on a stick" monopod I use with a folding stool for FT. I made that as it has a bit of give in it for a springer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:35 am 

DDtank wrote:
I have one of those little V-shaped Caldwell bags that is supposed to go on the metal bench stand and use it on top of the ammo box when seated. Works well and is small enough to go inside the box for transport.
I also have a "mini sandbag on a stick" monopod I use with a folding stool for FT. I made that as it has a bit of give in it for a springer.

Well I got 2 of those U shaped bags. Ones mounted on a tripod. But to make any adjustment you need to take the gun off the rest, lift up this cam, lift up and drop the cam.. Its a lot of trial and error.

and another stapled on some wood.

Just wasn't sure if someone used like the lead sleds or the caldwell steady rest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:31 am 

I use a caldwell rock jr. Heavy little thing. Works fine but the bag portion could be better. A rice filled bag that would conform to the stock would be a big improvement imo. Although easily controlled the stock version allows the rifle to cant side to side a bit. I have a bipod but prefer the caldwell.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:28 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
I use a full sized V-Style Caldwell knock off bench top bag I purchased on eBay for peanuts. Filled it with Popcorn (Rice absorbs moisture and can stick together) and it conforms nicely to all my various PCP Rifles, while protecting the stock with some nice felt like material. Not the lightest thing to carry around though -think I put a total of 12 kilo sized bags of popcorn into it. Nice stable Air Gun rest for FT. Some guys fill them up with sand ...... I've already had one hernia surgery, thanks.

Avianmanor

Hatsan BT65 SB
Benjamin Marauder
Cometa Orion
Weihrauch HW100S
QB78D Modified HPA 875 FPS
Brocock Concept Super 6
Artemis PP700S-A
Diana Chaser
Snowpeak CP1-M
Artemis PP800
FX Radar Chrony