Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:00 am 

Finally I trimmed my hammer spring on my 2240 too ~ as I replaced the 7 inch barrel with the 10 inches one that I removed from the 1322, and I didn't make it a 1740 so it will keep shooting the heavier 22 pellets, I didn't cut too much...

And today I finished my new co2 after the mod and the result is very satisfied ~ I got more than 50 shots now and I didn't see any power lost. Save me a big money on buying co2 from now on ~ [emoji16][emoji16]

But I got something different than others did the same mod... After putting in the new co2, I don't need 4, 5 empty shots to let the air flow and fill the valve. After the same 2 shots, I got it powered up.

But when the co2 comes to empty, before I trimmed the spring, the last some shots will get much weaker and the co2 finshes in just 3, 4 shots. And right now, after about 50 full power shots, I can feel it being weaker,. but takes about another 10 shots to completely empty the co2... And these 10 shots should be still around higher 300fps before dropping suddenly again...

Hope my case can be another reference for anyone didn't do this and want to do this ~

Attached photo is how much I trimmed...Image

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:02 pm 

According to what I know, Crosman 2240 are notorious for being over-springed, especially considering they only have a 7'' barrel. Whenever you hear a very loud report, and see a gas cloud when you shoot you can be sure the barrel length/spring strength balance is not optimal. You seem to have done the job right by cutting the right length of coils on your spring. How many good shots did you get before?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:30 pm 

I counted it before for only once and posted here... but I forgot how many ~ I just remember it's a typical number more than 20 and close to 30 shots...

Maybe I can cut more as I still see the co2 mist blow out from the muzzle... But the result just good enough for me and I don't want to open the gun again ~ otherwise I should need to prepare a new screw under the tube for the back cap first, I almost damage the screw cap as I always too lazy to remove the grips before try to remove the screw.... So you know what happens... [emoji29]

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:54 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Replace the grip frame screws with 8-32 Robertson square heads. They are a bit more forgiving, you can have the driver on a bit of an angle.
Just make sure they aren't too long, if rear screw is too long it will hit the hammer spring.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 pm 

With another spring cut a little less and the chrony in hand, plus several different types, different weights pellets, I did some more follow up tests these days and have more details returned....

Make it short...

(1) the best pellet for my 2240 is the JSB Express RS, which gives me the highest energy rating and best accuracy. However I only have about 200 remained... I think I would save them up and use out my CPHP first then I will buy more and only the RS for my 2240 then... CPHP is a good choice too, but 14.3 g just a bit too heavy for the 2240, about 20fps lost vs the RS.

(2) cutting as less as what I did ( about one and a half threads, showed on the picture above) to my spring can make the gun shoot only about 10 more useful shots . Make it about 30 shots in total, not as said as in the beginning...

Put it through chrony with different pellets a few times.

After 20 shots, you have better wait longer time between each shot to let the gun recover from the co2 cooling effect... But the fps already start decreasing...

After 30 shots, fps is already more than 20-30 fps lower and it start decreasing dramatically... Although you can make another 10 more shots before you can see it and hear it, but the chrony just tell you about 10 shots in advance... And you can find the POI changed a lot too, although you are not shooting far...

=====

So, I can see how accurate a regulated PCP can shoot that accurate... And SSP can be that accurate too... But the fps from the co2 2240 just changes shot by shot, from the very beginning of a new capsule, the gun is wasting and about 10 to 15 shots in the middle is good ones, then the last 10 shots it starts the changing game again....

Thinking if I need to put regulator (lol~ the hammer spring 'regulator') in my 2240?! But looks how to adjust it well according to the usage of the CO2 would be difficult and impossible.....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:48 am 

When the chrony arrives I'll put my 2240 through some paces with my hammer spring adjuster.

Ken, put your data into a spreadsheet or some kind of table, like we were discussing. I'll compare it to what I get with my 2240. If my adjustable spring/retention setup works wells maybe I'll make you one.

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:41 am 

Thanks so much in advance ~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:58 am 

Another thing to look at on the 2240 is the hammer weight . Big slug of heavy steel bouncing on the valve stem . I use a short stiff spring that has no load on it pressing against the hammer . Much better results .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:05 am 

So, that means a trimmed shorter high power spring will give a better result? More shots and higher fps at the same time?

I tried a full length high power spring n, but the gun became very hard to cock... And I don't want to force it to see how's final result and thought that may not the way I want.... Looks I can try it again later....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:12 pm 

Would a lightened hammer work better as it would I assume have less weight but more velocity on the valve stem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:19 pm 

I don't know... Didn't see a lighter hammer for the gun and don't have the ability to make one by myself...

But I doubt a lighter hammer doesn't have enough energy to open the valve... Just like 177 caliber guns must use much faster velocity to get the same power from .22 caliber...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:43 pm 

I was just wondering if anyone tried it yet as I have a lathe and milling machine so it would be easy to try fluting or some grooves. I'm in the states so an increase in fps won't be an issue for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:41 am 

Sorry guys, my main reason for asking wasn't to increase the fps it was to save stress on the valve stem. I had one break in the past. I'm from the Cleveland, Ohio area so didn't know it was it is an issue about raising fps. in Canada, I apologize. It isn't an issue on our forums in the US. Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:40 am 

It's okay Bill ~

Adding fps is not illegal in Canada, you can take the test and get your license and own your very powerful high end PCPs without any issue ~ We have lots of discussion about it here.

Yout idea about putting on a lighter hammer is new to me. However I am just a normal hobby player and can't give more input on it ~ maybe you can create a new topic and see the replies from the real Pros ~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:50 am 

lighter hammer would work, either porting more holes or use a lighter material as a hammer, but it is still way more easier to adjust the spring or change the transfer port to adjust the power.