Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:56 am 

I know with rifles, being over 500 FPS you need a PAL.

But I see these "RPAL" required guns. If it requires a RPAL, wouldn't RPAL airguns be subject to the same rules as a restricted firearm? IE registration and range use only?

Just seen a dealer advertise a restricted air pistol, saying great for backyard target and small game. Something we cannot do in Canada with restricted firearms, unless you got a CFO approved range.

Or am I understanding the law right?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:01 pm 

You are right, so that is strange. RPAL is RPAL whether it's firearm or air pistol.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:16 pm 

And air pistols (and rifles) under the fps and energy restrictions are non-regulated firearms subject to many of the firearm laws/regulations.

As soon as they go over the defined limit(s) they are PAL or RPAL with all the same restrictions and no matter that they are gas powered.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:36 pm 

Just saw your thread. I actually started another one on same topic under my dealer login and then saw this one. Apologies about duplicate thread on same topic.

Getting back to the subject -

1. I think you guys are absolutely correct about same laws applying to restricted air guns. I would also like to add that the gun advertised in the dealer's post has magazine capacity of 14 in .177 and 12 in .22. That is prohibited in a handgun. So this gun is not a Restricted gun but rather a Prohibited gun.

2. As you guys mentioned, merely possessing an RPAL doesn't mean you just go and pick up a handgun. It obviously has to go through transfer process etc. Also the dealer also needs to have Restricted Business Firearms License to sell any Restricted firearms. Me as a dealer do not want to get it into that due to very small percentage of us that want to shoot an Restricted Air Pistol at an approved range. I do not see any value in that as an airgun enthusiast myself.

3. The biggest fear I have is someone actually buying these things and then getting caught! That will not only be bad for that individual but also can divert attention of law enforcement agencies towards airgun industry. Do we really want to encourage that and spoil it for everyone!!

Regards,
Raman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:39 pm 

I contacted my firearms lawyer. See what they said.

Because every one I asked, states what we all said. Same rules apply to air pistols over 500 fps, then a restricted firearm. But we are not all lawyers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:27 pm 

This issue is being investigated. In the meantime, this thread is locked.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]