Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Need Help with my Talons
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:11 pm 

I've taken my two modified Talons (.22 and .25) out of mothballs, and they both have this problem. As you can see, the top hat (or whatever it' called) is frozen and the loading mechanism will not engage because it will not push the tophat back into the receiver.

I used to know a bunch about this stuff but I haven't the memory to even know how to take the tank off (on the unmodified Talon you can) without blowing myself up.

I can't get into Talon Tunes because my old email no longer exists . . . . can somebody here give me a hand? These are my main plinking/hunting guns and I'm crippled without them. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:56 pm 

The tophat, is the poppet. You shouldn't be able to push it back with the receiver. It should slide over it and seal with an o-ring. Maybe some divers grease on the poppet?

Or are you saying the poppet is seized in the tank and the hammer won't open it?

If that is the case, you may need to release some pressure from the tank and dry fire it a bunch to free it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:26 pm 

AirForceAddict wrote:
The tophat, is the poppet. You shouldn't be able to push it back with the receiver. It should slide over it and seal with an o-ring. Maybe some divers grease on the poppet?

Or are you saying the poppet is seized in the tank and the hammer won't open it? [color=#800000]YES I GUESS THAT'S IT[color=#800000]

If that is the case you may need to release some pressure from the tank and dry fire it a bunch to free it up.

I'll try what you suggested. Thank you. I'll let you know what happens.

I talked with Talon Tunes and they suggested shipping the guns to them but yikes! From Prince George would be a heckova bill. Last resort.

And I don't even remember how to take off the tank, now that I've installed their tank adapter with the fill valve. Beauties of having had a stroke. You have to retrain for everything you have done and everything you have forgotten.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:21 pm 

Pretty sure that one just unscrews, Gord, same as the new tank I bought for that .177 Talon I got from you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:54 pm 

I agree with Daryl. Looking at the TalonTunes website shows threads on the end of that angled adapter. Although with the angled adapter, I'm not sure if you can just unscrew it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:13 pm 

I'm not sure either. There is a locking collar on the tank now that has to be rotated correctly. I'm not going to touch things I don't understand. It's the same tank but on a different system. That locking collar has me spooked.

I have tried greasing the poppet. Nope. Still won't cover.

Also have dry fired enough to spook my dog for weeks. I'm still in the same position. I've enclosed a new shot for you to see that I cannot get the receiver out far enough to lock. :(

It's going to be expensive to ship the guns to Tony.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:14 pm 

Have you tried contacting Kim aka Whitewolf?

Al

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:44 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
Have you tried contacting Kim aka Whitewolf?

Al

No I haven't . . . I'll do that. Nice to hear from you Al!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:02 pm 

Okay . . . next step done. This is what happens when you unscrew the tank. The poppet comes out with it attached to the angle adapter. I do NOT want to remove the angle adapter. It has a locking collar on it. What's next? Right now the tank has 1000 PSI in it. Maybe I should go fishing? :twisted: