Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:19 am 

I seen people use scissor jacks. They're cheap, alot of height, stable, easy to adjust.. Might be better option for the prone/bench solution.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:55 am 

Awww. But then I don't get to build something. *sad face*

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:33 pm 

I've always considered anything affecting how the gun moves to be a negative, and while how neg that is varies drastically between springers, I just say no to bipods. I have use, and can only suggest one, the simple plastic spring clamp-on deal which was made by Ramline. No doubt copied by the copy capital, but google "Ramline bipod" and it'll pop up. They're cheap, super light, no holes needed, no upsetting barrel harmonics and minimal if any affect on the gun since it moves up/dwn, back/forth, side/side pretty easy. On mine, which I pretty much never use, I put felt on the clamp so it would never mark the barrel or soft shroud and moves even more freely.
Other than that I'd work on making it less hold sensitive.
If you're dying to make something I'm picturing two individual alum rods, like solid 1/4". Two holes drilled into the end of the stock parallel to the barrel ~3" deep. The rods insert that 3", stick out, turn down, then at the ends curve to make somewhat springy feet rather than straight w/ zero give. So w/ the rods overall length and feet it should allow the gun to move freely enough not to mess w/ it. It would be very light, custom, not in the way, and minimal cosmetic damage to the stock. I'm thinking black anodized and the picture in my mind is sweet enough that now I want one... Ideally they'd simply push in/out but you also have to keep them from rotating. Maybe a keyway glued to bottom of the holes, or splines. Or a set screw from under but I want only the two bare holes and no tools req'd. Then there's threaded w/ a lock nut which I'm not feelin.
Another option for a mounting point of whatever you decide to use is the cocking slot. You can attach sheet metal to the inside of the cocking slot, then have it extend down enough to mount whatever. If/when you no longer want it there's basically no visible damage. Much of the cocking slot isn't even used so I rekon you could fill it w/ metal or JB Weld, drill/tap some holes or use inserts and again mount whatever to that. Or inserts directly in the bottom but I really like to avoid damaging the looks. Many/most just drive sheetmetal screws into the stock which drives me nuts, plus the imprint the mount makes. Reminds me of a tattoo, you may not like it or later decide you don't want it... I guess no biggie on a cheap airgun but when I see it done to a nice wood stock of a nice looking firearm I cringe. The stocks are cheap in the US, like $26 delivered, but I'm guessing more like $75CA after ship?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:05 pm 

I like that little clip on bipod. I'll look for one.

I think I've definitely decided I'm not drilling into the stock. The tripod is just elevating my butt bag to a height I'm more comfortable sitting at. I think that if I can sit more comfortably and shoulder the gun, then I could actually start practicing and working on accuracy with at least holding half of the gun, which is still fairly difficult at 30 yards.

I'm definitely interested in hearing how to make the gun less hold sensitive... Because EVERYTHING I'm reading says artillery hold is not desired but necessary for the gun to shoot straight.... And then there's my gun, which apparently wants to be just shy of being strapped down to hit the x. Lol. If I don't, it flies right, maybe every other shot. The gun either takes a hop up, or right, if I let the gun bounce on the bag.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:16 am 

Carpenter84 wrote:
I like that little clip on bipod. I'll look for one.

I think I've definitely decided I'm not drilling into the stock. The tripod is just elevating my butt bag to a height I'm more comfortable sitting at. I think that if I can sit more comfortably and shoulder the gun, then I could actually start practicing and working on accuracy with at least holding half of the gun, which is still fairly difficult at 30 yards.

I'm definitely interested in hearing how to make the gun less hold sensitive... Because EVERYTHING I'm reading says artillery hold is not desired but necessary for the gun to shoot straight.... And then there's my gun, which apparently wants to be just shy of being strapped down to hit the x. Lol. If I don't, it flies right, maybe every other shot. The gun either takes a hop up, or right, if I let the gun bounce on the bag.

Clamp on bipods will change your POI and put all the pressure on the barrel. Probably make the groupings worst. So if you go try a off hand shoot, it will be a different point of impact.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:20 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:26 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

Lol, picture says a thousand words. Nice setup, rain or shine.

I do not have a scissor jack at my disposal currently, but I do have more than enough raw stock materials to smack together an adjustable tripod as I mentioned earlier. I could complete this project without actually spending any money. But my idea is basically the same thing - with the leadscrew height adjustment - just no scissor.

Some other junk rifles