Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman 2240 tweeking
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:42 am 

Can someone give me a brief summary of how to make the 2240 a bit more efficient. I hear that there some some spring mods? I’m not concerned with making it fire at 10,000 FPS or whatever, just less wasteful. I’m finding with mine I get about 10 useful shots then it really starts to fall lower on the target.
Thanks

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:12 am 

There is hundreds of posts in here.....do a search..

KWC 1911 Tac
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:20 am 

Canadianguy wrote:
There is hundreds of posts in here.....do a search..

Kinda rude. We don't tell you to search when you ask questions that been asked before.

Carpenter84 wrote:
Can someone give me a brief summary of how to make the 2240 a bit more efficient. I hear that there some some spring mods? I’m not concerned with making it fire at 10,000 FPS or whatever, just less wasteful. I’m finding with mine I get about 10 useful shots then it really starts to fall lower on the target.
Thanks

If you're only getting 10 shots, and you're noticing a change in the POI. You might a leak. Because should get about 30 before.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:24 am 

I just did mine .

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

And I think I will cut another half or 1/4 tread while I finish the current co2 inside.

But just 10 shots should be a problem! As said, typically 30 shots if everything stock.

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:28 am 

Oh, and any signs of any thing abnormal?

Because you just said 10 shots and the POI became lower and lower...

Then about total how many shots you can get from the co2?

Everytime on every co2 the same?

How far you shoot?

If your 2240 moded? New? Used? Put aside for a long time?.......

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:04 am 

I'm wondering if the valve is sticking open. Can you put a balloon on the end and will it fill up? Or hear air escaping from the muzzle?

Or leak from the transfer port. Like the breech isn't on tight enough. Or the cartage seal is worn and leaking from there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 am 

If the gun is no leak, actually you can put the co2 in it, and no need to shoot it empty in one time...

I usually finish one co2 in my 2240 in 3 days to a week something... If your gun is leaking, or maybe leaking, another way to check I think you can just make a few shots then put it aside to see if later you can keep on shooting or it just emptied....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:54 am 

Are you waiting between shots to prevent the CO2 from cooling causing pressure drop.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:28 am 

If I have a full auto 2240, I don't think one co2 could last for only 10 usable shots...

I never intended to wait the time while shooting my 2240, fast or slow, just related to how I reload and aim...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:57 am 

Holy moly, thanks for the overwhelming response. I'll try to answering everything I can.

First, I did do a search. I found a few posts with varied info and ideas. But mostly an array of info that was all over the map. I found the thread that had a bunch of links, but it was from 2006 and most of the links were dead or spamming the heck out of my phone. And this is what these forums are for, aren't they? ask questions and promote discussion and conversation? help the new guy learn more by addressing HIS issue - that's how he learns.
If that's not the case, then maybe I'm in the wrong place.

Other items. Gun is brand new. Does not seem to malfunction. I hear no hissing or leaking. I do not know how many shots I get from a whole vile. I have not allowed a vile to deplete itself fully before I've changed it. Being impatient and wanting more from the item I'm using than it's likely designed to give - I tend to be impatient and just replace the vile and keep shooting.

My shot frequency during paper punching is about as long as it takes me to cock, load, aim (slow... Lol), shoot, squint my eyes to see where it landed, reload, rinse, repeat...

If I had to guess, I might be getting that 20-30 shots, then I start notice the sound change, pellets traveling slower, sounds more like a "pah" than a "pop".
I'm using crosman 14 grain domes in it, all my other pellets for my modded Benjamin are all 18 grain and up. Figure those are all a bit too heavy for the pistol.

My purpose for the gun was to be able to take care of pest birds and rabbits in scenarios where the rifle is not appropriate (close range, too loud, etc), so keeping a vile in there with a full enough charge to actually handle the pest is more desirable than to beat with a limp noodle - so to speak...

So the pistol does do that "thhat-duh-duh-duh" sound of the hammer or spring or something bouncing. Likely spreading the gas rush out over a period of time rather than one sharp punch? I've read something about adjusting springs or balancing springs/pressures?

It is just easier for me (and I'm vastly limited free time) to have the resources in one place rather than having to search for them. For example, this post is being written during a paid poop break at work, rather than being spent searching around for the instructions then forgetting everything once i get home at night.

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't think I'm worried about lengthening the barrel or increasing the fps, but to just make the gun more efficient. Probably better to keep it around the 460fps it's advertised as.

Most of the time the gun will/is being used 10-15 yards. I put a red dot on it to help aim, and it made a huge improvement. But that's when I noticed the droop. Mind, I was shooting at 30 yards at that time. But it sparked an interest in working on the gun to maximise it's ability. And I like a good project.
If it helps, I have a full machine shop in my garage.

Thanks so much, guys. I'll go read that thread now someone posted below.

Some other junk rifles

Last edited by Carpenter84 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:06 pm 

So I read the cutting the hammer spring thread, but I'd still have to look up what's actually going on or what to actually do. Maybe I'll just try to find a few YouTube videos..

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:53 pm 

lol~ take it easy, it's just a quick job and never need to use your machines ~ you can finish it in 10 minutes

As you mention, your gun just works fine~ but I don't know why the POI changs so obviously and so quick...

After putting in a new co2, I can say the first 10 around shots looks more powerful than the followings... before I trimmed the spring, I see smoke ( co2 mist ) from all the side holes of the muzzle brake... Even I trimmed my hammer spring, I can still see the white smoke from the muzzle. That's why I want to trim again for a little bit more...

And after the first some shots, maybe you hear a different sound, and the somke gone... Actually the pellets just hit the target as hard as before... Until the final stage comes.

Before I trimmed my spring, after about 30 shots, the co2 will empty suddenly in a few more shots. After I trimmed the spring, this period looks extended a bit, and I can have another around 10 weaker shots before it empties...

From my post, you can see more details regarding the before and after... I remember in a post from someone else listed the chrony reading of every shot in one co2... Don't know if you can find that one out... A very good reference.

I don't have a chrony, but I can tell trimming the spring a little doesn't affect the fps just letting you save some co2 for more shots.

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:59 pm 

Nothing more efficient than making a SSG. Stopping the spring bounce would make it more efficient.

You can make ones with preload adjustments, or just a simple captive guide rod style. The simple method is easy. Don't need anything more than a hand drill and a file ( to file down the nut to fit inside the hammer ) A hack saw, 10-32 tap. I was lucky and got it to drill center with a hand drill.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:33 pm 

I wasn't trying to be rude at all! I've been told to go search lots of times. You have no idea who has said what to me on here. So know all my posts don't get answered and the ones that do, I'm very appreciative of....please keep your comments to yourself...if your going to get personal.

KWC 1911 Tac
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

Last edited by Canadianguy on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:36 pm 

No hard feelings, guys. All good. Just explaining myself.

Some other junk rifles