Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:35 pm 

Okay so last year I bought a fairly used 1077 here on the forum. I put it to use this spring, setting up a target at 10yds and immediately noted the pellets (crosman premier 7.4gr and hollow 7.9gr) were flying sporadically making a group of 8in or so with typically only one hitting where the crosshairs are.. Even without the scope the groupings are worse than my steel force bb at the same range.

So I came back on the forum and saw another member selling a very good condition with little use. I set it up and shot today getting the same poor grouping. Its not nearly as bad as the first 1077, but still not adequate.

I have done some reading on this gun and have read and watched several reviews on this rifle with mixed reviews. For the most part though, they have been positive, reporting decent accuracy at 50yrds!

What ive tried so far is checking the crowns, shot both with and without the scope (no difference), secured the lock for the sliding internal barrel, added supports for the internal barrel, all which have done nothing to improve accuracy.

Did I just get two lemons, or am I missing something here??? I have been taking slow controlled shots and am aware that the trigger system in crap and have done my best to compensate with each pull...

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:35 pm 

You'd think a crosman barrel would like crosman pellets, but you never know. Maybe try some jsb?

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:14 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
You'd think a crosman barrel would like crosman pellets, but you never know. Maybe try some jsb?

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

Haha, you'd think that, as its logical lol

I dont have any on hand but I dont think it will make much difference here, although I will try. The odd thing is, the heavier pellet also gives the same pattern. The 7.9gr hollows fit much tighter in the mag, and the lighter ones quite loosely and yet give the same result.
I have also read people with accuracy issues trying several pellet brands only to get the same result.. so im skeptical on that front.

Some reading on these suggest that the barrel wobbles which was my initial suspect. Any members here clean one of these up to get a decent accuracy? Any similarities for others with an out of the box gun?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:31 pm 

Read my post of July 23 "Crosman 1077 weak shots" . similar poor accuracy as yours. I returned for refund.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:03 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
Read my post of July 23 "Crosman 1077 weak shots" . similar poor accuracy as yours. I returned for refund.

Im not interested in giving up just quite yet : )

After a few days of reading I actually encountered what you're describing with yours if you want to DIY...
Both of mine hit very hard, more so if you take the time to clean up the molded plastic imperfections etc.

Its a great gun for up close targets.. not sure if im asking too much to get better groups with a little more distance though lol.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:30 pm 

I'd think JSB would work better no matter what, and especially with low power guns. Heavier pells are more accurtate and since CO2/pneu shoot heavier pellets with more power you have two reasons to try 'em. So I'd try the 8.44 and 10.34gr. Not saying that's your prob, just better. The Crosman Premier should be good, but you mentioned 7.4gr which makes me think the non-premier. I can't say it's always true but so far for me all the non-premier cros pells were junk.
8" @ 10M is chinese barrel territory, which it may be? I do recall a big prob with cheap Crosman and misc cheap pneumatic/CO2 was the barrel is not secured very well. Like w/ my 760 you could move the barrel ~ quite a bit, which was no biggie w/ open sights but not so good w/ a scope. If your barrel is a tube inside a fake plastic barrel for looks then be sure the real barrel is actually tight in there too, that includes fore/aft movement. Kinda hard to tell I guess but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
I'd also slug the barrel, which I always do anyway b/c you never know. If you don't know what that is or what to look for I'd be glad to help. Check the crown not only for damage, but that it's even. If not true then it vents air unevenly, and if the plastic barrel is shrouding the real one then it may be containing turbulance to dump right back on your pell. Ya never now...
I know you said you tried w/o a scope, but just wanted to verify the parallax is good. For example a typical centerfire scope can cause serious issues at that range, and it'll spray pellets randomly. An airgun scope w/o AO can also do it, just to a lesser degree.
In the big picture it's kinda hard to screw up that bad (8") so my guess is it shouldn't be hard to find.
Let us know....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:56 pm 

Chevota wrote:
I'd think JSB would work better no matter what, and especially with low power guns. Heavier pells are more accurtate and since CO2/pneu shoot heavier pellets with more power you have two reasons to try 'em. So I'd try the 8.44 and 10.34gr. Not saying that's your prob, just better. The Crosman Premier should be good, but you mentioned 7.4gr which makes me think the non-premier. I can't say it's always true but so far for me all the non-premier cros pells were junk.
8" @ 10M is chinese barrel territory, which it may be? I do recall a big prob with cheap Crosman and misc cheap pneumatic/CO2 was the barrel is not secured very well. Like w/ my 760 you could move the barrel ~ quite a bit, which was no biggie w/ open sights but not so good w/ a scope. If your barrel is a tube inside a fake plastic barrel for looks then be sure the real barrel is actually tight in there too, that includes fore/aft movement. Kinda hard to tell I guess but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
I'd also slug the barrel, which I always do anyway b/c you never know. If you don't know what that is or what to look for I'd be glad to help. Check the crown not only for damage, but that it's even. If not true then it vents air unevenly, and if the plastic barrel is shrouding the real one then it may be containing turbulance to dump right back on your pell. Ya never now...
I know you said you tried w/o a scope, but just wanted to verify the parallax is good. For example a typical centerfire scope can cause serious issues at that range, and it'll spray pellets randomly. An airgun scope w/o AO can also do it, just to a lesser degree.
In the big picture it's kinda hard to screw up that bad (8") so my guess is it shouldn't be hard to find.
Let us know....

Greatly appreciate the advice, thanks :drinkers:

Yes this rifle has a metal shroud, and a mcdonalds straw for a barrel lol. Another thing I noticed... The barrel enters the shroud at the receiver, not in the center, but below center near the bottom of the shroud. The other end is held with a plastic collar in center. So the barrel in angled from down to up? I wonder why they would design with such an angle?

Ive got another .177 barrel on hand and am going to order another thats from a crosman 2100. Just out of curiosity, is there
a well known .177 from crosman that is known for accurate barrels, and one that is not from a break barrel or expensive pcp?
I changed out the barrel in my steel force to a much thicker, and slightly longer smooth bore. The accuracy is far better now...

thanks again :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:39 pm 

I've got a similar soda-straw barrel in my Remington AirMaster 77, which is made by Crosman. It's a multi-pump pneumatic, though. I got it shooting relatively well, maybe a 1" group at 15 yards. The 1077 barrel may even be the same one. Definitely secure it within the shroud, that's a known issue. I did that as one of the first steps prior to even shooting the thing. I modified it from non-PAL to full power, and it gets around 685 FPS with 8.6gr H&Ns now at 10 pumps.

Maybe try the H&Ns. Mine doesn't like JSBs, and shoots the H&Ns much better than Crosman ammo.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40