Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Scopes and red dots
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:21 am 

I am very new to airguns ( started my hobby about just a year before ~ ) and still keep learning too ...

I am budget buyer too... So regarding the 'clicks', actually I don't care too much as what I used so far never a high end precise scopes... So what I found is the 'click click ' just to make sure the turret is turning, and I never have a chance to click it to micro adjust my POI in the field... My wobble muzzle just equal to more than ten clicks to any directions... And I don't need to hunt for life so, I will make adjustment by my sense (oh~ yeah !) when shooting out of range targets... Actually with a scope and proper light direction, you can see the pellets flying path and the POI on the target rings, so you can make your adjustment for that....

And actually lots of the cheap scopes out there, especially Amazon / eBay, the clicks are not trustable... What I want is essential, the scope can hold the zero well and long lasting....

So I will carefully to zero the scope / dot / sights etc with test shots after the clicks and for example, you turned left for 5 clicks then turn back to right for a click in order to let it settle down well without unnecessary stress, then test shoot to see the actual POI changes, then again and again until the job done....

Sent from my LG cellphone

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 am 

Oh, and for recoil resisting rating, I think the best way to know is check review and reputation... Usually scopes with higher price tag would do better ~ ; )

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:34 am 

More So, when standing infront of a display case of scopes listed under rim fire, or center fire, shot gun, etc. The most local store with the biggest selection happens to be Sail. And as it turns out, they're prices happen to be the best as far as a box store is concerned.
They were the only store that sold the 2240 for $79, same as most online places. Everyone else, Canadian tire for example, was well over $100, $120, etc.

I have $95 cash stowed away currently. I was thinking about going into Sail this week when i had time and do some hands on shopping. The $95 would soften the blow to my credit card which the wife usually gripes over if I spend too much on myself ;)
So, knowing what to look for is obviously essential. If my springer ruins a scope, I likely own it... don't need to be doing anything stupid like that...

Only problem I have with going to Sail is they do the have any of the brand's gents have listed here...
If I buy online, I'll have to wait till next month (already spent too much via PayPal on pellets this month. Lol. The warden will be displeased. ) And I'm an inpatient man!

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:00 am 

If the scope doesn't say air gun rated then you will need to verify by actual testimony on the airgun community forums even if it says all calibre rated. The real issue is the mildot reticle. How many scopes sold locally are mildot? Not many if any in my city.

btw if there is no time restriction you should never buy anything at Canadian tire full price. Everything there will go on sale sooner or later.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:07 am 

I enjoy my Nikkon Sterling Mount Master, 3-9x40 AO. I paid about 100$ on Amazon. Has alot of mildots so is great for hold off. That I really don't need to touch the knobs. At least 8 up and 8 down, 8 left and right. Way more dots than my KADHAR 6-18x50mm.

Now with my 1 piece mount, the AO was touching the receiver, so I had to shim it. Not really sure If its full power spring rated.

I just had it on various SSP, Co2, PCP rifles. I only have it mounted on my sub 500 Diana. Actually did a quick search and they said they're fine on a springer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:11 am 

I don't even have a store like that locally....

I like touch the thing before paying the money too... But ends up most of my air gun related purschases were shopped online.... Even some pellets bought from local CT, they don't allow you to touch it before paid!

And agreed, never buy CT full priced items.... Once I bought something @ 50% off then end up have to return it. But I lost the receipt. And the lady checked the computer and the history lowest sale price for it was just about 20% of original price.... Finally I just took it back home... : (

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:17 am 

YepYep wrote:
So I will carefully to zero the scope / dot / sights etc with test shots after the clicks and for example, you turned left for 5 clicks then turn back to right for a click in order to let it settle down well without unnecessary stress, then test shoot to see the actual POI changes, then again and again until the job done....

Actually shoot a small group then make your adjustments. Shooting and making change, shooting making change isn't a great idea. Because esp when dealing with springers, a small change in grip, Or wind. Can change the POI. So you can be chasing pellets around, going insane.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:21 am 

Yeah, that's what I meant... Some shoots/a group then adjust... And repeat until it's shooting around the bullseye not grouping on aside...

Finishing zeroing of your gun, then don't do that in the field...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:39 am 

leadslinger wrote:
YepYep wrote:

Actually shoot a small group then make your adjustments. Shooting and making change, shooting making change isn't a great idea. Because esp when dealing with springers, a small change in grip, Or wind. Can change the POI. So you can be chasing pellets around, going insane.

Definitely. Been there... Got smart after.
I was merely referring to this scopes quirks. Somehow 2 clicks throwing poi off by a mile while 5 clicks moves less drastically. Maybe just the way the screw turned, or dirty threads, something being loose, who knows.

Getting back on topic. Is there anything else I should keep in mind when I go scope shopping? Beyond anything I've mentioned? Anything I'm forgetting? Over-looking? Over expecting?

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:45 am 

Try to see if good used scope to be re-sell in the forum ~ ; )

I bought my 40mm AO Hawke from a forum member!

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:06 pm 

Carpenter84 wrote:
Somehow 2 clicks throwing poi off by a mile while 5 clicks moves less drastically. Maybe just the way the screw turned, or dirty threads, something being loose, who knows.

Something I have found with cheap scopes (that's the only kind I have... :( ) is that after I make an adjustment if I give the scope a couple of raps with a plastic screwdriver handle near the turret area it seems to help 'settle' things into position.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:33 pm 

Honest, I have started doing very similar. My turrets are finger knobs so I tend to not have a screw driver handy, but I've started just tapping about the scope to settle whatever needs settling.

As with all of my machinery and tools, I reach a point where I've had enough with cheap crap and finally bite the bullet and spend some money on something.

Its likely going to be the scope first, then if I still can't tame this Benjamin, it'll be a new rifle after.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:40 pm 

I'm generally fine on a rocky road IF there is a light at the end. This Benjamin has been the rocky road. But the light at the end isn't as rose coloured as it once was.

I think what's making me spend so much time on this rifle is it's feel. The designers did a fantastic job making this rifle FEEL good. But for the price point likely dropped the ball everywhere else it matters for functionality.

As a comparison, I have a xisico b3-2. Its accuracy is better than the Benjamin. But being an undercock rated <495 fps and no real way to tune/mod it higher, it's fit and finish and feel is terrible, I prefer the Benjamin even tho its accuracy is pathetic compared to the b3-2. The b3-2 just feels like a toy where the Benjamin feels like a tool.

All this is said before I've ever actually held a high quality rifle. Even my .22 rimfire is a pretty cheap rifle. Obviously much higher power and accuracy is spot on, it feels cheap. Therefore, I STILL prefer the Benjamin. It's just stuck in my brain that I NEED this rifle to preform... Even if it never will. I'll wind up modding this rifle till there is nothing left but the wood stock, but finally be happy with it....

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 am 

I never think about buying a Benji before... Uhh, actually not a real rifle before my Daisy 953... Not include the Crosman carbines... And your 'feel good ' comment on this gun just bring up my interest...

However I got my HW30 as a must buy on the list first, maybe I will consider this one in the future ~ look forward to see you tame this puppy soon ~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:36 am 

I think about one morw thing....

Is your Benji still diseling?!

It may affect the accuracy...