Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:29 am 

Hi I just purchased a Pro Sport from AGS and I ding my rifles a lot. I shoot them every day so they are in constant use. Up at the cottage in the bush they get used so I was wondering if anyone here uses a finish, oil, treatment etc. on there favorite stocks ?

Captain Air

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:26 am 

So far it looks the best finish for the wood pieces is the Tung Oil....

But you need to be very patient to finish the process... The more coats you put you will get the more better final result and will cost you more time to finish.... I use it on my 46m grips and it's beautiful and looks long lasting...

Actually I did it twice as after I thought I finished and put it back on the gun then I noticed I forgot the little palm rest piece...

So the little piece costed me more time to finish as I tried to wait longer time between each coat ( more than 3 days), and put more layers of coats ( maybe 5 or 6 ) on it, and it did return me a more better final result....

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:44 am 

Some people need to be careful with tung oil. It is a nut tree oil. Someone who is allergic to nuts cannot use or touch the stuff.

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:19 am 

Oh yeah?!

This is a good reminder!! As I never heard that before.

There's only mentioned the Tung Oil is poisonous, and if you mixed it with other oil by mistake and use it for cocking, it will kill....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:31 pm 

Carpenter84 wrote:
Some people need to be careful with tung oil. It is a nut tree oil. Someone who is allergic to nuts cannot use or touch the stuff.

Thanks Carpenter84 . Very nice of you.

Captain Air

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:35 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Oh yeah?!

This is a good reminder!! As I never heard that before.

There's only mentioned the Tung Oil is poisonous, and if you mixed it with other oil by mistake and use it for cocking, it will kill....

Hi Yep Yep !
Thanks for that I will try it for sure the Tung Oil. Do you know where I can buy it usually ?

Captain Air

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:37 am 

I got my Winmax tung oil from lowes Image

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:54 am 

Almost anywhere you can buy minwax products.
I’m actually coating a project with it right now. Giant walnut rough swan fireplace mantle.

Do some sanding of the stock. You could sand it down to bare wood, or just break the surface finish with a 150-180-220 grit. Don’t go higher than 220. Try to reduce the scratches by sanding with the grain as much as possible.

Application, wipe on a liberal amount, keep it wet for 15 mins. If an area absorbs more than other, rewet that area. After 15 mins wipe off with a clean lint free cloth. Then buff with a new cloth. Let sit for 24 hours, sand/rub the surface with #000 steel wool to remove any lint/high spots/imperfections/etc, do another coat. Brush on liberal coat. Keep wet for 10 mins. Wipe off and buff. This time keep buffing till you’re satisfied with the finish. You can recoat if desired. The more coats and the more buffing the shiner it will become.
Downside is it is a true 24 hour dry. Often can’t rush it like other products. Really super nice finish tho. And easy. Smell is tolerable. Should last for years.

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:47 am 

YepYep wrote:
I got my Winmax tung oil from lowes Image

Thanks again. I'll try it out. Hope it shines a bit :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:48 am 

Carpenter84 wrote:
Almost anywhere you can buy minwax products.
I’m actually coating a project with it right now. Giant walnut rough swan fireplace mantle.

Do some sanding of the stock. You could sand it down to bare wood, or just break the surface finish with a 150-180-220 grit. Don’t go higher than 220. Try to reduce the scratches by sanding with the grain as much as possible.

Application, wipe on a liberal amount, keep it wet for 15 mins. If an area absorbs more than other, rewet that area. After 15 mins wipe off with a clean lint free cloth. Then buff with a new cloth. Let sit for 24 hours, sand/rub the surface with #000 steel wool to remove any lint/high spots/imperfections/etc, do another coat. Brush on liberal coat. Keep wet for 10 mins. Wipe off and buff. This time keep buffing till you’re satisfied with the finish. You can recoat if desired. The more coats and the more buffing the shiner it will become.
Downside is it is a true 24 hour dry. Often can’t rush it like other products. Really super nice finish tho. And easy. Smell is tolerable. Should last for years.

I will keep this as a reference if I go that far. Thanks again

Captain Air

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:16 am 

Boiled linseed oil was another old favourite.
The old fashioned rate of application was once a day for a week, then once a week for a month, then once a month for a year. If you have an open grain you can gently sand with wet and dry between coats, the "slurry" will help to fill open grain which can trap whiskers on your face.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:32 am 

timmytree wrote:
The old fashioned rate of application was once a day for a week, then once a week for a month, then once a month for a year. If you have an open grain you can gently sand with wet and dry between coats, the "slurry" will help to fill open grain which can trap whiskers on your face.

I have heard of that. I got my Pro sport yesterday. Looks beautiful with a stripped walnut grain. But it is raw and so today I will search for a Lowes near me I'm in Mississauga for the Tung Oil. I am not good at fixing things or stock treating. We just rubbed gun oil on our wood. It still looks like wax or just real shinny on a rim fire of mine.
So the Tung Oil seams simple enough.

Captain Air

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:39 am 

AGS Air Gun Source was perfect.
Fast straight up service. Picked a nice wood for me. Travis got the package to me in a few days, no hick ups. I'll try and learn how to send pics.

Captain Air

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:25 pm 

Captain Air wrote:
timmytree wrote:

I have heard of that. I got my Pro sport yesterday. Looks beautiful with a stripped walnut grain. But it is raw and so today I will search for a Lowes near me I'm in Mississauga for the Tung Oil. I am not good at fixing things or stock treating. We just rubbed gun oil on our wood. It still looks like wax or just real shinny on a rim fire of mine.
So the Tung Oil seams simple enough.

Captain Air
Yeah ~ the Tung Oil treatment just simple enough with just one oil from the beginning to the end ~

And maybe you would like to get the steel wool (#0000) together with the Tung Oil from Lowes... Usually ppl won't have this in the house and you will need that between applying each coat... Maybe some sanding paper too....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender