Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:44 am 

I hate doing it, especially undoing the end cap and putting it back on again, and trying to get the dovetail perfectly aligned. I am not able to see if the grooves are right so tend to use a thumbnail, run it up and down to try and feel where it is catching and if I have to tap it some more to tighten.
Anyway, I thought it might be an idea to use something like a razor blade to put a scratch across the join (underneath where it is not seen once in the stock) and then look at that with a magnifying glass if needed when reassembling to see when it is aligned.
Only trouble is, I have had mine apart a couple of times before I thought of this so no point trying it now I have lost the "factory setting".
Seems like an idea though(?).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:56 pm 

I cannot picture what you're talking about... What gun is it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:03 pm 

I read your post a few times but not sure what u mean......

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:48 pm 

Not sure what airgun you are talking about.

Must be ones with threaded end cap or something?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:31 pm 

Specifically, I am referring to a weihrauch but I imagine they are all much the same. You take off the stock then remove the trigger unit and then a lot of force is needed to unscrew the "cap" off the end that gains access to the spring. A spring compressor of some sort is needed to get it back on but once it is in place again, it can be turned by hand until the final tightening where the same force (hammer and bar) is needed to finish doing it up. It is that stage I am referring to as from the look of it, I think in the factory they machine the dovetail after assembly so once that cap is unscrewed then I at least am concerned about getting it back to where it started so that the scope mounts sit in the grooves as they should.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:59 pm 

DDtank wrote:
...the end cap and putting it back on again, and trying to get the dovetail perfectly aligned. I am not able to see if the grooves are right...

comme ça?

Attachments:
groovy.png
groovy.png [ 276.29 KiB | Viewed 845 times ]

Last edited by Leon Yrag on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:11 pm 

I have no idea what that is, is it a springer?
Anyway, sorry it's not clear, just a thought, never mind...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:51 pm 

You can install one ring on the dovetail that will slide but not fall off. You don't need to see it, but you can feel if it's a smooth transition by sliding with a little side pressure. You must be talking about HWs 97 & 80. Most HWs don't have screw-off ends to the cylinder. RC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:27 pm 

Indeed those are the two I am familiar with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:11 am 

DDtank wrote:

Should have said that in the first place. Because it's not really a helpful hint when nobody knows that you're talking about. Because 90% of spring airguns have a cap that uses a PIN to secure it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:22 am 

leadslinger wrote:
DDtank wrote:

Should have said that in the first place. Because it's not really a helpful hint when nobody knows that you're talking about. Because 90% of spring airguns have a cap that uses a PIN to secure it.

I knew exactly what he was talking about as I have a Weihrauch with the same style end cap, it’s not a bad idea and for those that know what he means it made perfect sense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:13 am 

seabring wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
DDtank wrote:

I knew exactly what he was talking about as I have a Weihrauch with the same style end cap, it’s not a bad idea and for those that know what he means it made perfect sense.

Title should been handy hint taking your Weihrauch XX apart. Everybody with a spring airgun is going to click the link and be like huh? Mines not like that? I have no idea what he's taking about? Not knowing its only about Weihrauch. Need some clarification and context sometimes.