Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Marauder or ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:57 pm 

Currently, I'm looking to start back in the sport, but I have a bad habit of starting and leaving something for the next shiny object. I hope not this time, but I'm going to "go slow" before spending any big bucks.

After losing 10% of my eyesight reading everything possible on PCP rifles, I came to the conclusion to start "slow" by buying a Marauder, a few hundred for a scope and still haven't decided how to handle the recharging.

So the question is......is the Marauder the best bang for the price range? I want to keep scope and gun around a grand, so is there better for a little more or is there a better rifle at the Marauder price point?

I'm going to plink and target shoot. I have a strong "don't shoot it unless you eat it" meme so I doubt I'm going to get into squirrel beef stew.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Post subject: Re: Marauder or ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:34 pm 

IMO the FX streamline is the best value however it's quite a bit more than a marauder.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:06 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
jckstrthmghty wrote:
IMO the FX streamline is the best value however it's quite a bit more than a marauder.

Owning both myself, I'd agree. However, considering the M-Rod is half the cost, and a much easier rifle to cock and shoot than say a Cometa Orion, which I also own, for sure it's one of the best, if not the best value in a PCP, all things considered. Not to mention the Marauder is a gorgeous rifle to behold (no accounting for personal taste of course). I understand the Kral Puncher is another worthy candidate in the desired price range, but I have no personal experience with it. I believe member Leadslinger after much debate purchased a Kral brand new, but listed it for sale within a couple of months -he might be able to offer some personal experience with the Puncher. I said it then and will say it again, I think overall the Marauder is a better long term choice for an inexpensive, highly versatile and adjustable PCP. Can't see how you could go wrong with an M-Rod. Just had mine out again today, and as always, a pleasure to shoot. If you can pony up the extra $$$ Spartan, get yourself a Streamline, IMHO, it's absolutely the Best Value in a PCP air Rifle, and if you can save a bit more, .......... Daystate Huntsman/Regal -best gun in my collection.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*FX Streamline*Daystate Huntsman*Hatsan BT65*Benjamin Marauder*FX Dreamline*Cometa Orion*Weihrauch HW100S*QB78D 875 FPS*Brocock Concept*Artemis PP700S-A*Diana Chaser*Snowpeak CP1-M*Artemis PP800*FX Radar*Kral Puncher*Artemis M11*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:08 am 

Avianmanor wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:

Owning both myself, I'd agree. However, considering the M-Rod is half the cost, and a much easier rifle to cock and shoot than say a Cometa Orion, which I also own, for sure it's one of the best, if not the best value in a PCP, all things considered. Not to mention the Marauder is a gorgeous rifle to behold (no accounting for personal taste of course). I understand the Kral Puncher is another worthy candidate in the desired price range, but I have no personal experience with it. I believe member Leadslinger after much debate purchased a Kral brand new, but listed it for sale within a couple of months -he might be able to offer some personal experience with the Puncher. I said it then and will say it again, I think overall the Marauder is a better long term choice for an inexpensive, highly versatile and adjustable PCP. Can't see how you could go wrong with an M-Rod. Just had mine out again today, and as always, a pleasure to shoot. If you can pony up the extra $$$ Spartan, get yourself a Streamline, IMHO, it's absolutely the Best Value in a PCP air Rifle, and if you can save a bit more, .......... Daystate Huntsman/Regal -best gun in my collection.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

As a 12 year, I remember hunting down a crow for hours until I got a shot at it with my trusty Diana. Sure, it's power wasn't a threat unless I was close enough to hit the crow over the head with the rifle, but man those were the days.....

Thank you for the heads up on the Streamline. I thought all FX were in the 2 grand range so I never considered it. Now, I'm going to lose more eyesight reading up on it.

I don't have an affordability issue, I have a "where and how often can I use it" issue. I live in the city so backward use is out of the question. Ranges looks like it's $50 a visit. If I lived in the country....

More reading...more head scratching....and thank you for your guidance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:08 am 

Spartan wrote:
Avianmanor wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:

Cheers!

Avianmanor

As a 12 year, I remember hunting down a crow for hours until I got a shot at it with my trusty Diana. Sure, it's power wasn't a threat unless I was close enough to hit the crow over the head with the rifle, but man those were the days.....

Thank you for the heads up on the Streamline. I thought all FX were in the 2 grand range so I never considered it. Now, I'm going to lose more eyesight reading up on it.

I don't have an affordability issue, I have a "where and how often can I use it" issue. I live in the city so backward use is out of the question. Ranges looks like it's $50 a visit. If I lived in the country....

More reading...more head scratching....and thank you for your guidance.

Hi there,

Sharing my experience with the Marauder and the Kral which I owned both ( Marauder was sold, Kral is still with me).

I owned both the first gen Marauder (M-rod through this comment) and the synthetic second gen M-rod. Based on my personal experience, they are very good rifles, which you could tune yourself for power and shot count. My only beef was the accuracy of the barrel since maybe I got a "not so good one" on the 22 cal. It is good for up to 25 yards shooting quarter sized groups but tends to open up when shooting farther. I even installed an altaros internal reg for the 22 but still not within my expectation. The synthetic one I got was a 25 with the Green Mountain barrel. Worked for the first magazine and very accurate but started to gave me the fits when I was shooting my 2nd magazine to the point of hard loading and a pellet got stuck. Returned it to D&L and swapped it with a scope. I got a Kral from Raman of Canadashooting supply in 25, the synthetic mega marine. Out of the box it shoots pellet over pellet at 25 yards. 3 mils down it shoots quarters at 50. Adjustment done was just lubricating and minor tweaking for the trigger pull and break. Very satisfied with this one. Next on the list would be a Streamline which I read is very good in terms of accuracy and consistency.. Saving my nickles.. ;-)

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:55 am 

Avianmanor wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:

Cheers!

Avianmanor

I enjoyed the Kral a lot. It was a lot of gun for the money. Side cocking was smooth and simple to use. Wasn't hard to fill with a hand pump. Just wish I got the black, synthetic stock model. Because it has a adjustable cheek rest. Not the marine walnut. The marine finish isn't worth the extra money. Had alot of flaws in the finish and Raman said alot came like that from factory.

The down side of the walnut stock was the cheek comb wasn't high enough. If you wanted to run a 30mm scope with a 50mm OBJ and still use the mags. You had a awkward cheek weld. And had to ugly a nice stock with building up a cheek rest. I wasn't able to buy the syn stock separate. So the walnut stock model, you stuck with running maybe a max 44mm obj, and 1" tube scope. For a decent cheek weld.

Syn stock model wouldn't have that issue due to the adjustable cheek rest.

It was very accurate, more accurate then me. 2 factors why I sold it. I had some neighbor issues. He always had people over, always had yard sales, always complained. So noise was an issue. Plus really I didn't use it as much as I thought I was.

Then I got another rescue dog so focused most of time with them, and gearing up the back yard. So I down graded to something cheaper that I wouldn't feel back not using it all the time.

I mean the Cometa Orion even comes with a adjustable stock and its a bit cheaper. Just heavier cocking effort. Just the 60$ extra per mag and the Kral came with 2 from factory is why I went with the Kral.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:36 pm 

apitagan wrote:

Hi there,

Sharing my experience with the Marauder and the Kral which I owned both ( Marauder was sold, Kral is still with me).

I owned both the first gen Marauder (M-rod through this comment) and the synthetic second gen M-rod. Based on my personal experience, they are very good rifles, which you could tune yourself for power and shot count. My only beef was the accuracy of the barrel since maybe I got a "not so good one" on the 22 cal. It is good for up to 25 yards shooting quarter sized groups but tends to open up when shooting farther. I even installed an altaros internal reg for the 22 but still not within my expectation. The synthetic one I got was a 25 with the Green Mountain barrel. Worked for the first magazine and very accurate but started to gave me the fits when I was shooting my 2nd magazine to the point of hard loading and a pellet got stuck. Returned it to D&L and swapped it with a scope. I got a Kral from Raman of Canadashooting supply in 25, the synthetic mega marine. Out of the box it shoots pellet over pellet at 25 yards. 3 mils down it shoots quarters at 50. Adjustment done was just lubricating and minor tweaking for the trigger pull and break. Very satisfied with this one. Next on the list would be a Streamline which I read is very good in terms of accuracy and consistency.. Saving my nickles.. ;-)

Hope this helps.

I'm not getting that "750 dollar love" for the m-rod. Buying, scoping it, trying it, bringing it back, not what i was thinking for a past time.

Being a bit obsessive, it would be even worse because I'll regret it. I have an indoor range.....my warehouse. A clear 50 yards with zero wind. There won't be any "it's the wind" excuse if I'm shooting 3" groups.

Is it Kral Puncher mega marine synthetic for 589?

How much of an improvement are you expecting from Kral versus Streamline? From quarter to dime size at 50 yards? Better? Please don't tell me 10 shot one hole groups because that would be promising free candy to a toddler.....(best analogy on short notice! Lol)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:44 pm 

Watch 22plinksters review on the fx streamline on youtube. Not bad shooting. Should be better than that once tuned and indoors.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:51 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

I enjoyed the Kral a lot. It was a lot of gun for the money. Side cocking was smooth and simple to use. Wasn't hard to fill with a hand pump. Just wish I got the black, synthetic stock model. Because it has a adjustable cheek rest. Not the marine walnut. The marine finish isn't worth the extra money. Had alot of flaws in the finish and Raman said alot came like that from factory.

The down side of the walnut stock was the cheek comb wasn't high enough. If you wanted to run a 30mm scope with a 50mm OBJ and still use the mags. You had a awkward cheek weld. And had to ugly a nice stock with building up a cheek rest. I wasn't able to buy the syn stock separate. So the walnut stock model, you stuck with running maybe a max 44mm obj, and 1" tube scope. For a decent cheek weld.

Syn stock model wouldn't have that issue due to the adjustable cheek rest.

It was very accurate, more accurate then me. 2 factors why I sold it. I had some neighbor issues. He always had people over, always had yard sales, always complained. So noise was an issue. Plus really I didn't use it as much as I thought I was.

Then I got another rescue dog so focused most of time with them, and gearing up the back yard. So I down graded to something cheaper that I wouldn't feel back not using it all the time.

I mean the Cometa Orion even comes with a adjustable stock and its a bit cheaper. Just heavier cocking effort. Just the 60$ extra per mag and the Kral came with 2 from factory is why I went with the Kral.

Sounds like the Kral is a better choice then the m-rod.

I wish I had a one on one comparison in accuracy between the Kral and the Streamline. It's double the price between one and the other, but I don't know if I'm getting a quarter to a dime or a quarter to one hole group.

What is tour opinion?

If I buy the Kral or Streamline, it will be synthetic. The last thing I want is a wall mount decoration. If there was a hunting opportunity, I would take a beautiful stock to the bush because any scratches would bring out the obsessive in me. On the other hand, the synthetic reason for existence is to have battle marks...

Thanks to everyone who is participating in my........education. Greatly appreciate it. I will in turn make a video or post my thoughts on my purchase. If anything, I will be brutally honest and hope to help the next guy. The internet can be a crazy place, but also be a platform for sharing thoughts and experiences.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:17 pm 

Spartan wrote:

I'm not getting that "750 dollar love" for the m-rod. Buying, scoping it, trying it, bringing it back, not what i was thinking for a past time.

Being a bit obsessive, it would be even worse because I'll regret it. I have an indoor range.....my warehouse. A clear 50 yards with zero wind. There won't be any "it's the wind" excuse if I'm shooting 3" groups.

Is it Kral Puncher mega marine synthetic for 589?

How much of an improvement are you expecting from Kral versus Streamline? From quarter to dime size at 50 yards? Better? Please don't tell me 10 shot one hole groups because that would be promising free candy to a toddler.....(best analogy on short notice! Lol)

I have the Kral mega marine in black synthetic stock cal 25. I don't have any experience with the Streamline since I don't have one... "yet". The pellet over pellet accuracy (25 yards) were the 1st four shots , then we moved the target farther to 50 yrds which gave us quarter size results. Accurate as it is , the rifle I feel will shoot more accurately as it breaks in further. I am planning to install an altaros internal regulator and see how it goes. There was a guy who tested this in youtube see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_MCp3XUIx0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:23 pm 

apitagan wrote:

I have the Kral mega marine in black synthetic stock cal 25. I don't have any experience with the Streamline since I don't have one... "yet". The pellet over pellet accuracy (25 yards) were the 1st four shots , then we moved the target farther to 50 yrds which gave us quarter size results. Accurate as it is , the rifle I feel will shoot more accurately as it breaks in further. I am planning to install an altaros internal regulator and see how it goes. There was a guy who tested this in youtube see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_MCp3XUIx0

Thank you for that video link.

I watched that video and a lot more of them. He makes a very solid point......buy as much as you can afford. I buy that philosophy to a large extent. But....

What are you expecting from your regulated Kral?

At what point/psi do you recharge It? How many shots? Trying to figure out what "system" I need to recharge it and how many recharges I can get before I become new be$t friends with my local scuba shop.

What/how do you recharge It?

When are you regulating It?

I hope I'm not annoying you with my questions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:12 pm 

Spartan wrote:
apitagan wrote:

Thank you for that video link.

I watched that video and a lot more of them. He makes a very solid point......buy as much as you can afford. I buy that philosophy to a large extent. But....

What are you expecting from your regulated Kral?

At what point/psi do you recharge It? How many shots? Trying to figure out what "system" I need to recharge it and how many recharges I can get before I become new be$t friends with my local scuba shop.

What/how do you recharge It?

When are you regulating It?

I hope I'm not annoying you with my questions.

As it is I can get 40 good shots from the reservoir shooting from 200 bars to about 110 bars at full power. This will give you about an average of 800fps on the 25 grain jsb 25 cal... Just enough for what I would need. I have SCBA and SCUBA tanks as well as my own personal hpa pump. Actually I have 4 SCUBA tank and I just top them via visits to a local dive shop here in Edmonton. I am planning to have the reg set at 110 bar and will see how it goes once I install it. 4 mags on a 200 bar fill is good enough for me. ;-) I originally planned to get the Kral Jumbo(bottled) but since it is shrouded it is not available yet here in Canada. Goodluck on your search! I also have an S410 in 22 and an AirForce in 25,20 and 22 cal , and eyeing the FX Streamline for my next.. Problem with this hobby is you end up having so many guns but use only a maximum of 2 for your regular target rifle... ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:12 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
[quote="leadslinger"]

“I mean the Cometa Orion even comes with a adjustable stock and its a bit cheaper. Just heavier cocking effort.”

Very very heavy cocking effort! You won’t be happy with it, trust me. I keep my Orion simply because it’s a beauty, but honestly it serves more as decoration and a conversation piece than a daily shooter. If you plan on hunting or pesting with your new rifle, weight will be an important consideration as well. The FX Streamline is really light.

Keep asking questions kind sir, there’s a wealth of personal experience to be had across the members of this forum.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*FX Streamline*Daystate Huntsman*Hatsan BT65*Benjamin Marauder*FX Dreamline*Cometa Orion*Weihrauch HW100S*QB78D 875 FPS*Brocock Concept*Artemis PP700S-A*Diana Chaser*Snowpeak CP1-M*Artemis PP800*FX Radar*Kral Puncher*Artemis M11*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:33 pm 

apitagan wrote:

As it is I can get 40 good shots from the reservoir shooting from 200 bars to about 110 bars at full power. This will give you about an average of 800fps on the 25 grain jsb 25 cal... Just enough for what I would need. I have SCBA and SCUBA tanks as well as my own personal hpa pump. Actually I have 4 SCUBA tank and I just top them via visits to a local dive shop here in Edmonton. I am planning to have the reg set at 110 bar and will see how it goes once I install it. 4 mags on a 200 bar fill is good enough for me. ;-) I originally planned to get the Kral Jumbo(bottled) but since it is shrouded it is not available yet here in Canada. Goodluck on your search! I also have an S410 in 22 and an AirForce in 25,20 and 22 cal , and eyeing the FX Streamline for my next.. Problem with this hobby is you end up having so many guns but use only a maximum of 2 for your regular target rifle... ;-)

Thanks for the info, I'm going to use it to figure out what tank to buy if I go with the Kral. The streamline higher pressure is another problem.

Why not sell the collection and buy an FX impact/crown with the goodies and call it a day?

Don't mistake my comment as judging, just couriosity. I'm on the outside looking in. Worse, I'm the very last one to apply "logic" to a hobby. I got a trail of spending big coin on what I think I like and then leaving it to gather dust.

Tomorrow I'm going to visit the local scuba shop and next week, a trip to the dealer to do a bit of touchy feely on a Kral and Streamline.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:51 am 

Spartan wrote:
Why not sell the collection and buy an FX impact/crown with the goodies and call it a day?

Other selling the collection I am in aggreeance with this statement. The impact and crown are serious equipment and requires fine tuning of both the equipment and the shooter to extract the full potential. Sure out of the box both are superb but if you just want to shoot casually then save your coin and go with the streamline. Aspirations of winning extreme benchrest, the impact and crown are fine choices.