Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:30 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased, brand spanking new from D&L, a Weihrauch HW-100s .22 PCP Air Rifle. I finally got a chance this past week to get a scope mounted and sighted and some FT shooting in .......

I typically use JSB Exact in various weights across all my air rifles, always obtaining consistent, accurate and tight shot groups out to 50 yards. From reviews I've read on the HW-100, this brand of pellet is an excellent match for this model rifle, and yet, regardless of pellet weight, I have not been able to obtain the accuracy results I was expecting. Half of the shots seem to be flyers, the other half giving me at best 1 inch groups at 30 yards, where my FX, Daystate and even M-rod outperform with 1/2 groups. I've also swapped scopes just to be sure, with no change in results. 14 gr pellets fared worst, with slight improvement being had incrementally with 15, 18 and 25 weights. To date I've put around 300 pellets through the new gun, with no apparent improvement over time.

Just wondering if other forum members have personal experiences with the HW-100,similar issues or a tendency for pellet pickiness. This was a pretty expensive rifle to purchase new (bought it on the basis of accuracy reviews), so I'm a little disappointed with the performance so far. My FX Streamline smokes it at far less $$. I've read that sometimes one can get a defective barrel on this model ..... that would be a bummer. Unfortunately I have yet to invest in a Chrony, so cannot provide velocity information at this point in time.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

Hatsan BT65 SB
Benjamin Marauder
Cometa Orion
Weihrauch HW100S
QB78D Modified HPA 875 FPS
Brocock Concept Super 6
Artemis PP700S-A
Diana Chaser Camo
Snowpeak CP1-M
Artemis PP800

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:51 pm 

Sometimes a rifle can have a picky barrel. Try a greater variety of pellets, including H&N Baracuda Match that come in 5.51, 5.52, and 5.53mm head sizes. These are 21.14 grain pellets that often perform well in PCP's. Other H&N pellets such as the Field Target Trophy are available in 5.53, 5.54, and 5.55mm head sizes, but these may be a little too light for a full power HW 100. Finding the right size helps.

It should be noted that these PCP rifles can be adjusted to reduce the MV if it is too high for lighter pellets. This has the advantage of increasing the shot count.

Less common in HW rifles is a bad barrel, but it can happen. I had a new HW 100 in .22 that would not shoot consistently any pellet I could find. Weihrauch sent a new barrel without issue and that solved the problem.

I would continue to try different pellets before thinking the barrel is the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:10 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Call Weihrauch and tell them the exact same thing about how all of your other air rifles outperform it. They will send you a new barrel.

FX Streamline .22, Benjamin Discovery .22, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Webley Alecto .22, Weihrauch HW40, Beretta PX4, Crosman 22XX .22, Colt Peacemaker BB, Beeman P17, Gamo 45