Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:05 pm 

My Ninja air tank was made/tested in 02/2013 so it's been outdated since February.
I visited my local paintball/airsoft (and very few airguns) store today and asked if they did hydro testing, the guy behind the counter said tanks are now rated for 15 years. I knew that new tanks were rated for 15 years and he told be me it was retroactive (really?) and they judged if the tanks were to be filled or not and that my tank will only need to be hydro tested in 2028.
Now I'm not the arguing type (not true, I will argue with anyone and anything) but as much as I like freebies this somehow doesn't feel right to me.
So does this make sense to you?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:50 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hmmmm,

Perhaps after an internal inspection and test, but still sounds suspect to me. 4500 psi is not something to be toyed with -best to err on the side of caution kind sir.

Avianmanor

Hatsan BT65 SB
Benjamin Marauder
Cometa Orion
Weihrauch HW100S
QB78D Modified HPA 875 FPS
Brocock Concept Super 6
Artemis PP700S-A
Diana Chaser Camo
Snowpeak CP1-M
Artemis PP800

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:25 pm 

I believe he misunderstood. In the US they still require a hydro every 3-5yrs in order to be DOT approved, then after 15yrs the tank is done forever, as in expensive paperweight like mine. Well, just not DOT approved so you can fill it yourself but if you get caught on a road or boat w/ pressure in it you're screwed.
So even if you didn't need to have it checked for 15yrs it's still expired at that time. So if he said retest in 2028 it tells me he misunderstood the 15yr thing and has let people out the door w/ illegal tanks. Dunno bout CA but in the US the laws are hardcore. Like refilling a little 1lb propane tank voids the DOT, so if you take on the road it's up to 5yrs prison!!!! I usta take like ten of them camping so I cudda been in for life. Can you imagine being in w/ murders n what not w/ lesser sentences, and them asking what you're for? I didn't have DOT wheels on my truck either, I wonder how many decades of prison that's worth? That plus the propane and I mita got my pix in the post office.
I have a Q: If a/your tank expired w/ pressure in it does that mean you instantly became a criminal? Or is it ok as long as it was filled b4 it expired? If so then if you buy a CF tank, fill it and don't use it, is it still legal after 50yrs?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:19 pm 

The guy misunderstood, carbon fibre tanks need to be hydro’d every 5 years and have a life span of 15 years, while steel tanks need to be hydro’d every 5 years but don’t have a maximum life span if I remember correctly.

You’re better off going to a place that recharges fire extinguishers and see if they hydro tanks or know who does, also if I remember correctly remove your regulator before hand. I heard horror stories about damaged regs as the staff didn’t care or didn’t have the proper tools.

Some tanks need to be checked every 3 years, it depends on the manufacturer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:01 pm 

I think they got the 15 years bottles mixed up with this : https://www.badlandspaintball.com/blog/42_Canada-Updates-Hydro-Testing-for-Paintball-Ta.html
My tank is 90 cu/in so not included in this.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:45 pm 

he's somewhat correct new tank laws for Canada
tanks less then 61ci and under doesn't need to be rehydro'd i thought it was 40ci and under...guess i was off a bit...

Canada Updates Hydro Testing for Paintball Tanks
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Canada Updates Hydro Testing for Paintball Tanks
Any tank less than 61 Cubic Inches no longer need to be re-hydro tested.

Most paintball players are aware of the rules and regulations regarding getting your hydro tank re-hydro tested. If you are unsure about what that is, or how to know if your tank is expired, read our blog post titled "Does my paintball Tank Need to be Re-Hydrotested?"

Transport Canada governs the rules in Canada regarding re-hydro testing your paintball tank. It is covered under CSA B339-08, found on the Transport Canada CSA Group Website. In the past, all paintball tanks except for 4oz CO2 tanks, 12oz CO2 tanks and 13/3000 Compressed Air Tanks were required to be re-hydro tested every 3 or 5 years.

There has been a change to the rules, covered under Clause 24.2.1.6 (page 83) – “Containers with a capacity of 1.0 L water or less shall be exempt from periodic re-qualification.”

What does that mean for the average paintball player? Any tank less than 61 Cubic Inches no longer need to be re-hydro tested. Common tank under 61ci include 48/3000 aluminium tanks, 48/4500 carbon fiber tanks and 45/4500 carbon fiber tanks.

If your paintball tank is damaged or the integrity is in question, it is still subject to Clause 24.2.1.8 of CSA B339-08. This means your paintball tank can still be condemned if it is damaged or has exposed fibers.

All of the tanks carried by Badlands are within hydro dates unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:03 pm 

Well it’s good to know that my 45/4500 from 10 years ago is still good...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:54 pm 

as long as there is no dings or defects on the tank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:15 pm 

Wow.... I had assumed the reason CF tanks had short lives was bc the epoxy/resin would become brittle over time. This makes it sound like that is somehow not an issue? The government knows what is best for me so I will not question them (in monotone)
Fyi I read about extending (some) 15yr CF tanks to 30yr. They have to pass a special MAE test that costs $350US plus shipping both ways, so already prolly not worth it, and do you still pay if it fails? Ouch.. But, it also needs a "special" retest every 5yrs, which I didn't see a price for, they just said "modest fee" whatever the he!! that means... If this special test requires shipping to the one n only place that does the initial test, then we've exceeded the cost of a new tank so forget it... And for you guys I'd imagine shipping just the once is already too much $.
From what I gathered it was aimed at those industrial peep using huge CF tanks so these costs would be worth it.
I looked this up bc I noticed Air Venturi selling 88CF tanks made in 2002 that had passed this new super recert. They were cheaper than new, but not cheap enough to deal w/ shipping or any bs. So this is why I wondered about that special test it'll need two more times to squeeze the remaining life out of it....