Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:47 pm 

Hi! I bought this nice chronograph recently and all arrived nicely packed. I am having trouble with constant errors indoors though and followed some tips from Leadslinger and YouTube and have tried several different types of led lights under the sun shades but am still getting errors most of the time. I thought maybe I should ask on here before spending even more money getting more lights.
What has worked for others on this particular brand? I see one YouTube video mentioned that regular led lights don't work well on this model, and that infrared work much better. Should I just break down and spend the $100 on the infrared caldwell kit (I really don't want to!) or should I buy some infrared lamps off aliexpress for $30 and try that? Any better ideas?
Thanks,
Wes

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:39 am 

Have you tested the battery? I notice a slight voltage drop will increase the frequency of error readings on my F-1. It will still light up and show 'A-L' at 8.7 V which is almost constant error readings. 9.2 and above seems to be the ticket. New copper tops are usually 9.6 V or so.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:25 am 

Wes, I have the same chrony. Mine works reasonably well under incandescent lights indoors. I found a 100 watt bulb several feet directly above the unit was pretty consistent.
We moved and my new range area is flooded with fluorescent bulbs which are terrible for chrony readings. I ended up buying the infrared light set made by Caldwell. First set arrived, and didn’t work. It was returned, and the second set worked for about a month and then quit as well. I played around with the second one and it seems the wire leads going to the power source make poor contact inside the light bars. I can wiggle the connection to make it turn on and off. I’ll likely do a solder job myself to improve the connection. Shouldn’t have to do such work myself but if I can bolster that area then I should be back in the game.

I can tell you when the infrared lights did work they were flawless, not a single error. Very consistent and accurate (as far as I know based on similar f1 chrony readings on an earlier unit I owned)

I had tried different led puck lights, and a reading lamp with an led bulb and never had consistent results.

Hopefully that helps somewhat.

FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:26 am 

I found that an incandescent 60w bulb about one foot above to give reliable and accurate readings on my F-1 As well as the light experimentation I placed opaque tape as a diffuser over the openings to the light sensors . This also keeps out debris . I never had much success with floresent's or led's .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:36 am 

Fluorescent lamps cycle too slowly for chronograph sensors. Even T-8's have a visible pulse.
For l.e.d. lights a lot depends on the driver. There are now l.e.d. lamps on the market that will run off a standard electronic ballast....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:08 pm 

Thanks everyone for the help and tips! I'll try a new battery and see if I can get my chrona graph directly under a bulb to try that too. Did you take the diffusers off inside with the light bulb? Putting one a foot overhead may be an option as well. I also have led bulbs, but if incandescent is better I'll look for one of those.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:09 pm 

"Opaque tape", I missed that. Thanks I'll try that too

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:12 pm 

I wonder if you can get IR LED light strips?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:19 pm 

I found some Ir strips for fairly cheap, I guess I shouldn't be such a chicken and buy them. A guy just needs to wire them to a 12v adapter. I found one of those cheap on aliexpress so that should work.

I changed the battery, and put a lamp with an led bulb then an incandescent bulb and found out the tape is the trick. Without tape over the holes it won't register. Seems the led and incandescent give the same readings but both seem too high. Anyone else experience higher readings indoors? My Qb78 is now reading 960-1020 fps and the Chaser is shooting 460-480fps. I even got a 500fps on the Chaser once. Weird.
I'm pretty sure that's not accurate as my qb always was shooting in the 860's with my old chronograph. I guess I'll have to wait for the rain to stop and sneak out onto the crown land nearby and see if I can shoot a few over the chrony there to see if it changes.
Anyone else getting their Chaser over the chrony? It'd be great to compare velocity.

Thanks again for the tips, at least I'm getting readings now!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:17 pm 

Got outside with the pistol and chrony and it is shooting between 420 and 430 just like I thought it should, so the indoor light is messing with the chronograph somehow. No errors outside anyway!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:21 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Got outside with the pistol and chrony and it is shooting between 420 and 430 just like I thought it should, so the indoor light is messing with the chronograph somehow. No errors outside anyway!

That is good news. I think Rona still carries 100 and 60 W standard lamp incandescent bulbs.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:32 am 

Yeah! Glad it works good outside anyway.
I think I'll just break down and buy the infrared lights. Around $28 shipped with a plug-in adapter and splitter to run up to 4 sets of lights (I'm buying two sets) . Should work I hope!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:20 am 

Wes,

Please let us know your results when you get the IR Led's set up. If they perform well, could you post links to where you purchased please. I have a Caldwell on the way.

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:58 pm 

Ok will do =).
It'll take a few weeks to get here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:54 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
Anyone else getting their Chaser over the chrony? It'd be great to compare velocity.

I guess you forgot this post of mine back on Aug.03 when I got my Chaser:
topic80143-14.html

Some info on comparing a little airsoft chronograph to a Chrony in a post I made some time ago:
http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic64144.html

Also I would like to note that a single light source located between the two sensors will always give a higher than real reading. There is much info on how to light a Chony on the internet. I read one post in particular that discussed at length why a single light source was a problem but I cannot find it at the moment.

Here's a simple diagram of why a single light source is not a good idea:
Attachment:
singlechrony.GIF
singlechrony.GIF [ 8.91 KiB | Viewed 347 times ]