Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:32 pm 

Ahhh. That seems like common sense. If a pellet is sticking out past the end of the rotary clip, it clearly isn't going to work.

I was referring the short style .177 points. Which really should be fine anywhere wadcutters or short round nose work. :|

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:38 pm 

And maybe the other reason because usually the pointed pellet would have less accuracy than the wadcutter and domed pellets in such a low power replica pellet pistol which has less than 400fps or just a bit higher than 300fps muzzle velocity...

So recommending usage of wadcutter maybe not enough and just letting you to not use the pointed pellets would be increasing the accuracy performance outlook of the pistol?! ;)

Just for guessing ~

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:44 pm 

Heretic wrote:
Ahhh. That seems like common sense. If a pellet is sticking out past the end of the rotary clip, it clearly isn't going to work.

I was referring the short style .177 points. Which really should be fine anywhere wadcutters or short round nose work. :|

Yes. Wadcutters or round nose (or dome) work well in what guns I have. Although I have notice the wadcutters will at times jam in the barrel of my smith and Weston 586. The dome or round nose work very well in the 586.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:10 pm 

I was under the belief that round nose/domes are typically the most accurate. Wad cutters leave a cleaner and bigger hole in paper for a potential better target score and easier marking.

But that pointed pellets can maintain velocity over a greater distance? Hence would be beneficial to low powered guns?? (as well as penetrate game better, but I don't do anything but target shoot)

Is that all myths?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:21 pm 

Heretic wrote:
I was under the belief that round nose/domes are typically the most accurate. Wad cutters leave a cleaner and bigger hole in paper for a potential better target score and easier marking.

But that pointed pellets can maintain velocity over a greater distance? Hence would be beneficial to low powered guns?? (as well as penetrate game better, but I don't do anything but target shoot)

Is that all myths?

No your right. Different pellets for different applications. The CO2 guns under the 500fps limit are designed simply to target practice. No pal needed. Pointed pellets from my understanding are used for hunting squirrels or pest control as my buddy calls it. He has a compress air gun which requires a pal as he way over the 500 limit with his rifle. He uses the pointed pellet for penetrating purposes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:42 pm 

I just opened a new topic to talk about the pellets usages in order not to drifting the original topic too far away ~ ;)

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:35 pm 

To Heretic, regarding the 1077. Good to see you are revaluating it. The 1077 may not be perfect, but it does have some good qualities. I bought a wood stock from Gravel and installed it on my 1077. Easy to do, just a couple of screws