Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Copper coated BBs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:07 am 

What's the point of the copper coating, slightly softer on rifled barrels?
Those Excite BBs look interesting to solve the ricochet issue, more than a coating and lead core - any good?

Post subject: Re: Copper coated BBs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:55 pm 

My guess for the Crosman is to prevent rust. Since Daisy already had silver I'm guessing Crosman wanted a diff color so copper it is. Plus they got to use the name "Copperhead" to sound cooler, so that and a cool gold color no doubt increased sales. I recall Daisy having some misshapen ones that would sometimes jam in the bore, and the copper on Crosman would sometimes flake off, or lift. I remember one where almost half the copper was lifting so it looked like a gold skull cap. Either of those defects kill accuracy.
As for the new Excite BBs I'm guessing to help prevent dents. Lead BBs dent pretty easy, plus some guns are hard on them so more dents during cycling, or lead shavings getting caught up in the gun. Plus there's parents across the US who want ricochet free, but not if means little Timmy touches lead, so it makes sense they made these.
I do wonder how they work since the added weight has gotta help reduce the whole magnus effect thing. I've shot lead BBs from a rifled gun and they work well, but they're a little bigger and meant to engage rifling. If larger and copper they would likely jam in some barrels. That's my 2cents

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:01 am 

Thanks, I think the point about the Excites is they are ricochet-free and feed properly in fun gun mags. I tried the lead BBs once in a CO2 pistol and there was no way they would feed. I will try them some time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:34 am 

DDtank wrote:
What's the point of the copper coating [added: over a steel BB], slightly softer on rifled barrels?

the silver coating on silver BBs is zinc, over steel.

today on the interweb i read "...Zinc has a lower reduction (oxidation/'rust') potential than copper.
..and Zinc is a softer metal than copper.
..."

i find copper flakes/shavings downrange more than silver and i can see that if copper is more 'brittle' than zinc.