Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:52 pm 

^ Now that looks pretty solid! I can't find that model on the Dremel website, even under new products (USA and Europe). Does it come with that vise? I need a vise sort of like that, maybe a bit smaller.

Edit: Oh I see now, that is the *discontinued* Dremel press, #212. It looks nicer than the one I saw when I last "seriously" looked at them, quite a while ago. At least I think it was a Dremel one, it was at Michael's.

The new 220-01 one looks much cheaper, as to be expected when manufacturing moves to China... It seems OK for light stuff, instructions do not tell you how to tighten everything up so you get no wobble, but it can be done easily enough with those tiny screws. Also they don't tell you how to change scales from " to mm...I can tell there's probably an easy way, and the way I'll probably try... I see there are plenty of very small drill press vises that will fit this. You can tell I'm not hugely Dremel knowledgable even though I've had them for decades, maybe I'll use it more with this stand now, especially with the tool in the horizontal position...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:54 am 

Hi CFraser,

That pic is there old version still available at CTC for $60.+tax, and it doesn't come with the press, it's like another $20.+tax. I think abit more, but not much more like $3-$4. buck's...
I own there new one that they just came out with as a present from Dremel for being there best or some thing Customer, or writting the best letter to them ??? I'm not sure, but was free. It is built very solidly like all Dremel products. And with those tightening screws/nutz you just tighten them up the best and hardest you can. It won't move at all. I own all of there products plus the Dremel XPR-#400 5,000-35,000-RPM's...

Mike... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:29 pm 

^ Thanks Mikey. I never mentioned it, but I didn't really want the drill press for gun stuff. Not saying it might not be useful, but I wanted it for plastic/light wood/brass/Al/PCB mostly, so it'll be fine for that. And certainly better than nothing for the occasional use on small steel parts. Normal sized drill presses, even the smallest you see in stores, are usually a bit big and "clunky" for what I need in other hobbies.

I still think the Dremel press is kinda flimsy. Certainly not optimal for precision work, but fine for the money for my hobbiest stuff...just my opinion so far. After all, the press is intended to sell for ~US$40, that's the level it's built to regardless of what it sells for here. As you know, GOOD tools aren't cheap, and VERY good tools are VERY expensive. I'm not at all disappointed with it though. FWIW, I did find the smallest Quick-Grip clamps will barely fit through the slots so that works, I have a lot of those guys.

Funny you should mention that XPR 400 kit, the one CT has for $200 (typically US$140 in States). I am kinda liking it, great deal compared to buying the stuff separately. I wonder if it ever goes on sale, typically Dremel "big stuff" doesn't in Canada, just the bits. From what I've seen. I already have 2 Dremels, but one is really old (the 20y.o. one is the "new" one) and I wouldn't mind another one...keep one in the press "permanently", and one "loose". Wouldn't even mind keeping the flex shaft on one permanently because I find putting it on/off annoying.

Really, let me know if you've ever seen a cheaper price in Canada for that fancy XPR 400 kit. I have never seen it except at CT (they say it's an exclusive, maybe they mean in Canada??). Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:06 pm 

I got my XPR-400 kit for $129.99 because I had proff of it forsale at HomeHarware for abit more. So 10% less... Hahaha And it was the big set-up... :shock:

Mike...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:12 pm 

^ Is it the one with the saw and light (400-6/90)? Only one kit comes with those (there are 6 different 400 XPR kits), and I want them, lamp and saw are expensive by themselves. Michael's has some of the other kits, can get the 40% off on them, but they don't have the one with the saw/light. That's why I'm asking if CT is the only seller of it in Canada, like they say they are. If HH sells the same kit, then I could price match from their cat, no HH's real close to here anymore.

Edit: I might be misunderstanding you, and you did get the big kit for $130 at CT...that's the price range I was thinking it could be in. I would jump on it immediately for under $150. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:34 am 

Hi CFraser,
I first saw the kit at "HomeHardware" for a very low price, I don't remember how much it was. But when I went to "Home Depot" I showed them my proof of this price that "HomeHardware" was selling it for, and "Home Depot" gave it to me for $127.99+tax. It might have been acouple of dollars more or less like $124.99 or $129.99. But non the less, Home Dpeot originally wanted $169.99 and with my proof they gave it to me for 10% less of HomeHardwares price. You see what I mean now ? It had almost everything except the LED=Light Emitting Diode. Which cost me around $24.99+taxes. You see I might be out acouple of bucks give or take either way.

But I already had the two Router sets ie: Table Top one and there Plunge Router set-up. Plus I also had there Drill Press which I spent $59.99+taxes back then it was 15% on the cnd Dollar from C.T.C. I had been looking for a long time for this press. I needed it for doing the insides of the #2289g Valves interior...

I also did a trade yesterday with this Drill Press by Dremel for $30.cnd + a D.P. Vise and also a brand new whip extension not even ripped outta there plastic baggie that they were in. And it fit buddies Seras version of the Dremel, with Sears name on it. O-and yes, also the extra adapter that allows for the use on the Drill Press other Dremel type Rotary Tools. So it was a good deal. I traded all of the above for $55.00 in trade... Which was 1/2 of the cost that I had paid for these items... :)

Krazy Mikey... :)