Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:46 pm 

I'm new to these air guns and just acquired a Stoeger ATAC Canadian version. It is only the 495 FPS. I was told it can be tuned or reworked so I can get the 1000 FPS range. Just want to know if this is possible and how I would go about doing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:15 pm 

Legal to do so if you have a firearm license for Non Restricted.

If you do not. Then it would be illegal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:48 am 

topic66001.html?hilit=shim%20main%20spring%20piston

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:08 pm 

I would, first, identify if that gun is designed to get higher velocities. Some manufacturers sell guns in Canada with a weak spring and possibly a shorter stroke, in order not to go over the fps barrier, for marketing purposes.

If there are versions available with the kind of fps you are talking about, then the whole concept of "balance of the system" would not apply.

I purchased a chinese breakbarrel inspired by the Gamo design and the dimensions of the gun, and the potential stroke is comparable to a Diana 45, newer model.

I noticed that, at the end of the cocking stroke, the angle of the barrel is almost at 90 degrees, whereby usually it is much more like 50 or 60.

The cut on the piston is short, leading to a reduced travel, and reduced air volume and velocity.

So, if the model, in its " FAC regular version" yields higher velocities, all you have to do is increase the cut on the cylinder in order to increase the travel. Be careful to make a precise job.

Obviously, if you should have an FAC, in order to avoid being be illegal.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:58 pm 

Since you haven't responded back nor introduced yourself, I'm assuming you are looking for a quick fix. This may not be the correct forum you are seeking. As stated earlier, if you do not have your non restricted PAL, you are treading on thin ice.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:09 pm 

The fix should be just like the Crosman B18 fix; cut the piston and get the full power gas spring. You'd need to take it apart to be certain that's what it needs but I'm fairly sure. How to do all this is in here somewhere bc I've posted it a few times.

megiddo65: It's only illegal if you get caught ;) Of course you're not supposed to say that but I'm not a felon only bc I haven't been caught, so the rule more or less holds true. I can almost hear collective gasps but I think most of us have committed felonies. Those who have committed a crime and didn't get caught, yet turned themselves in, can chastise me. No one else can say squat.
I also have a perfect driving record yet I commit at least a dozen violations every single day I drive.
I would never suggest anyone break the 500fps rule bc I don't know what the punishment is. My guess is the punishment for breaking that petty speed limit could easily be excessive to the extreme since the word gun is involved. In the US we have the 8th amendment to protect us against excessive fines and punishment, but it's completely ignored. I'd imagine it's the same in CA.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:17 pm 

Chevota wrote:
The fix should be just like the Crosman B18 fix; cut the piston and get the full power gas spring. You'd need to take it apart to be certain that's what it needs but I'm fairly sure. How to do all this is in here somewhere bc I've posted it a few times.

megiddo65: It's only illegal if you get caught ;) Of course you're not supposed to say that but I'm not a felon only bc I haven't been caught, so the rule more or less holds true. I can almost hear collective gasps but I think most of us have committed felonies. Those who have committed a crime and didn't get caught, yet turned themselves in, can chastise me. No one else can say squat.
I also have a perfect driving record yet I commit at least a dozen violations every single day I drive.
I would never suggest anyone break the 500fps rule bc I don't know what the punishment is. My guess is the punishment for breaking that petty speed limit could easily be excessive to the extreme since the word gun is involved. In the US we have the 8th amendment to protect us against excessive fines and punishment, but it's completely ignored. I'd imagine it's the same in CA.

I don't think its wise to condone illegal activity. This isn't what this site is for. Things might be different in the states. But in Canada. No PAL, no MOD's. Remember in Canada airguns over 500 FPS are considered firearms. Bit different turning right on a red that says you can't. And owning a firearm w/o proper license.

We barely have any rights in Canada.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:46 am 

With those words of warning and no response from the newbie OP, let's wrap this one up.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]