Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Scope sunshade & etc
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:51 am 

A question or few.

The higher the zoom on my eye piece, seems my eye has to be more centered in the eye piece or else I get poorer vision. The image blacks out or shadows, etc. Is this the "eye relief" when described in the description of a scope?
I find this difficult to deal with someone. I am usually unable to zoom higher than 6 to obtain the best zoom and "eye relief".

Also, since I do most of my shooting at night as pest control, (not terribly often) I seem to get a lot of, what I assume is, reflections from street lights. If I am pointing anywhere near the direction of a street light it remains.
Would a sun shade fix this?

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

Post subject: Re: Scope sunshade & etc
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:35 am 

What you describe is normal. The higher the magnification
The less forgiving the eye placement behind the objective.

The glaring is a function of the scope quality. The coating that is applied to the lenses are a big factor in the cost of good optics. A large objective lets more light in on higher magnifications .

Shooting after dark may get you in trouble in Canada!

Envoyé de mon SM-T380 en utilisant Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:37 am 

Forgot, yes sunshades will help but will reduce brightness a little bit

Envoyé de mon SM-T380 en utilisant Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:43 am 

ARD ( Anti-Reflection Device ) would be better. Does the same as a 7" sunshade w/o having a 7" sunshade. And can fit behind a scope cap.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:51 am 

The scope cap you mention... that yellow tinted cap that came with my other scopes.. does it actually search a purpose beyond protection??

Yes, this particular scope is NOT of any considerable quality. Just happens to work quite well with this Benji. Very accurate. It has no name on it. I’ve wanted to get a better scope for some time now, even spoke to Wes about a discovery. Just haven’t had the funds available to delegate to a scope. Seems to be all kinds of other things that keep cropping up... fence, roof, siding, truck maintenance... cost of living, I suppose...

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:07 am 

Carpenter84 wrote:
The scope cap you mention... that yellow tinted cap that came with my other scopes.. does it actually search a purpose beyond protection??

Yes, this particular scope is NOT of any considerable quality. Just happens to work quite well with this Benji. Very accurate. It has no name on it. I’ve wanted to get a better scope for some time now, even spoke to Wes about a discovery. Just haven’t had the funds available to delegate to a scope. Seems to be all kinds of other things that keep cropping up... fence, roof, siding, truck maintenance... cost of living, I suppose...

Those bikinis covers just to keep the lenses clean. But if you get a flip up scope cap. Many ARD fit behind them. Someone made one out of small coffee stir sticks and electrical tape. ARD You can get them off ebay for like 6$. Another name for them are Killflash.

Joys of home ownership. So know what's that like. Insulation, Fence, Decking, New Muffler. Big PPC match at the end of the month.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:32 am 

Not enough money and not enough time...
And if someone invented a way to make more time, I'd likely just fill it with trying to make more money. Woo, what a lovely society we live in. Lol.

I'll check that stuff out. Much cheaper option than a new scope. Even if the ring doesn't fit, I can machine it to fit.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:50 am 

Carpenter84 wrote:
Not enough money and not enough time...
And if someone invented a way to make more time, I'd likely just fill it with trying to make more money. Woo, what a lovely society we live in. Lol.

I'll check that stuff out. Much cheaper option than a new scope. Even if the ring doesn't fit, I can machine it to fit.

The old school method Is duct tape with a little box cut in it. Thought will cut the light coming in. But that was the original anti glare device. Or find some fine mesh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:26 pm 

K. I'll try those things.

Some other junk rifles