Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:47 pm 

CanuckleHead wrote:
Anyone shooting where their neighbors can see them without talking to said neighbors first is a fool. Anybody shooting where passerby's can see them is equally a fool. The general public can't tell an airgun from a potato peeler so keep them out of sight if you're shooting. The only time lettering is going to count is when someone is 5 feet away and that someone will likely be carrying a gun of their own.

That's my 2 cents worth (taxes included, adjusted for inflation).

Well said. Worth more than 2 cents too! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:54 pm 

BBKen wrote:
Agreed...neighbors should be made aware beforehand that it's an airgun and not to be alarmed.

Depending on what province you're in, isn't it illegal to shoot in your own backyard???

Totally agree you have to let your neighbors know what your doing and if it’s ok with the township. It’s the town/city that controls whether you can shoot in your back yard. This is from the the rcmp website on airguns.

“2. Air guns that meet the Criminal Code definition of a firearm, but are deemed not to be firearms for certain purposes of the Firearms Act and Criminal Code”

“The simple possession, acquisition and use of these air guns for lawful purposes are regulated more by provincial and municipal laws and by-laws than by federal law. For example, some provinces may have set a minimum age for acquiring such an air gun. For more information, please contact your local or provincial authorities.”

Post subject: Re: Umarex products and
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:47 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Not really... Within the city limit, discharge of any guns ( except water gun) looks all not allowed except inside your house.

So, just don't risk your luck... Maybe the officers won't bring you trouble this time, but you will be on the list and if something happens around your neighborhood, they will ask you first....

And this looks depends... My security supervisor has a friend who is a kindergarten teacher (!!), and he likes guns and have everything prepared ( R.PAL), and have some collection in the house.... And his ' friends' who visits him most often is the police officers... As told, almost every other week the police will go to have a talk with the poor guy.... If he's not home, they will call and make a appointment in advance.... lol...

Sent from my LG cellphone

I call BS on that. Every other week? I have a friend. His wife is a register restricted owner, she talked about it all the time, she hunts and teaches kids. She never been inspected or visited by the police. There has to be more to this story if he's getting visited every other week.

Ive been a restricted firearm owner for about 20 years. I never been inspected or had police visit me. I owned over 100 firearms and probably 30 at one point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:54 pm 

So I doubt would it be related to his job? As guns + school would be sensitive....

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:01 pm 

YepYep wrote:
So I doubt would it be related to his job? As guns + school would be sensitive....

Yes I doubt it has to do with his job. There are many teachers that are firearm owners, many teachers that shoot. If they're showing up every 2 weeks, that harassment.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:13 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Not really... Within the city limit, discharge of any guns ( except water gun) looks all not allowed except inside your house.

So, just don't risk your luck... Maybe the officers won't bring you trouble this time, but you will be on the list and if something happens around your neighborhood, they will ask you first....

And this looks depends... My security supervisor has a friend who is a kindergarten teacher (!!), and he likes guns and have everything prepared ( R.PAL), and have some collection in the house.... And his ' friends' who visits him most often is the police officers... As told, almost every other week the police will go to have a talk with the poor guy.... If he's not home, they will call and make a appointment in advance.... lol...

Wrong. If your place of residence has a no discharge bylaw in place it includes inside your home. We included the words "for hunting" in our town bylaw. Not hunting I am target practising or bowfishing. I am not hunting. :) :) Even so, a big bang law enforcement will show up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:34 pm 

YepYep wrote:

Your house is part of the bylaw zone. Inside or not. It's more of the out of sight out of mind. But if you make enough noise, someone can call the police and they can if want, fine you...Since it is a bylaw.

Normally under noise nuisances section of the bylaw. Sometimes best thing is to say nothing, or no evidence.

But I like where I live, It's the country so everybody has guns, my neighbors don't care, they shoot as well. Nobody can see me shooting. Unless someone comes to my side door and see me shooting from the enclosed porch shooting out the laundry window.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:21 pm 

Yeah... When I close the door, nothing loud enough can draw attentions from outside...

And for sure, public areas are absolutely no gun areas.... ( Except the gun range?!)

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:01 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Yeah... When I close the door, nothing loud enough can draw attentions from outside...

And for sure, public areas are absolutely no gun areas.... ( Except the gun range?!)

But be aware that indoors or not, it still a bylaw. And if they really wanted to, Fine you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:10 pm 

Hmm ~ will do some homework later... Looks the rumor say no shooting in back yard in GTA ( Scarborough)... And nothing mentioned inside my own house/ private property...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:36 am 

YepYep wrote:
Hmm ~ will do some homework later... Looks the rumor say no shooting in back yard in GTA ( Scarborough)... And nothing mentioned inside my own house/ private property...

I think your ok YepYep as your in a basement doing your hobby. With all the racket from traffic where you are I’m sure nothing is really heard outside. But most municipalities have a website with a bylaw area you can read thru at your leisure. If the wording does not not include within a secure confined area safe from public areas you might be legally ok. It’s worth a look. Either case, your a target shooter in a concrete bunker of your basement and think not you would have a problem. Your shooting pellets not bullets. Take care, chat again soon, heading up north to see the colours and old friends. All the best my friend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:47 am 

YepYep wrote:

You might be right. My brother Carl has had 4 visits in about 8 years in NB. Just a courtesy check by law-enforcement to ensure his r-handguns were properly secure. Little chit chat. There is a School a few miles up the road from his house.

Our bylaw restricts shooting of any kind near public areas like a baseball field, school, etc, unless it’s a ‘professional’ setup event on the property with the township’s knowledge. Like archery, axe throwing, pellet shooting <500. No power burning shooting though. Every township has their own flavour of rule, but much the same in legal structure wording wise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 am 

YepYep wrote:

Doesn't need to mention inside of your house. Because inside your house is still within the city limits. So bylaw still applies. Pretty much all the GTA have pretty much the same bylaws.

This is an example of a bylaw for Mississauga.

Quote:
“Firearm”means any barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet, missile or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing bodily injury or death to a person, and includes anything that can be adapted for the use as a firearm, and for the purpose of this by-law includes a slingshot, a spring gun, air gun, paint ball gun and air soft gun;

Quote:
The prohibition and regulations established under this By-law apply to the discharge of Firearms and Bows on all lands and waters within the boundaries of the City.

B-Aube wrote:
You might be right. My brother Carl has had 4 visits in about 8 years in NB. Just a courtesy check by law-enforcement to ensure his r-handguns were properly secure. Little chit chat. There is a School a few miles up the road from his house.

Our bylaw restricts shooting of any kind near public areas like a baseball field, school, etc, unless it’s a ‘professional’ setup event on the property with the township’s knowledge. Like archery, axe throwing, pellet shooting <500. No power burning shooting though. Every township has their own flavour of rule, but much the same in legal structure wording wise.

So because he was close to school? UMM When I lived in Sackville, my Elementary school was less then 500m away, my Jr High was less then a km away. Both could be seen from my house. Highschool just a little further. I highly doubt because were firearm owners close to schools. When I moved into the city. Again schools were close to schools. I know plenty of gun owners near schools.

And most city bylaws. Include airguns, doen't matter sub 500 FPS or not.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:05 am 

Oh, yeah, the little guys need to attend the school in your household area within their walking distance right?

So school just close to other school in the city...

Sigh... Again the by laws are always only for the good ppl who will follow... And isn't that they just wasting the police manpower in visiting these ppl?

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:19 am 

YepYep wrote:
Oh, yeah, the little guys need to attend the school in your household area within their walking distance right?

So school just close to other school in the city...

Sigh... Again the by laws are always only for the good ppl who will follow... And isn't that they just wasting the police manpower in visiting these ppl?

Your right yepyep, Carl stated other r-guns owner do not get visited, so their might be another reason they visit as their pretty aware of the goingons in the neighbourhood. Like a rash of break ins for example. Could be just a coincidence a school or other public place of importance was near by. But the bottom line is some people get check. It could be just a Radom thing like when they do a ride-check on our public roads pulling over cars and checking if their under the influence of alcohol .

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next