Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Scope Question.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:55 pm 

I got started back into air guns about 3 years ago when I purchased my first 5 ½ “Colt SAA and this past summer I bought my first “springer” air rifle, a .177 Diana 430L that was shown as having “open” sights from AGS. I have always used open sights and was disappointed when Travis from AGS advised the gun did not have open sights when he opened the box. I still wanted the gun, and had him install a Hawke Airmax 3-9X40 AO scope on it. I am thoroughly enjoying this combo and the gun/scope is more than meeting my expectations.
However, I do have a scope question as my experience with scopes is very limited. I frequently shoot various different pellet weight/pellet brands and I’m beginning to suspect that I should be re-zeroing the scope each time I change pellet weights/pellet brands.
Could someone with scope experience please confirm if this would be correct.
Thanks, Bill.

Post subject: Re: Scope Question.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:08 pm 

Yep ~ you are correct ....

For the best accuracy, you have to do so ( re-zero the gun when everything changes...)

Sent from my LG cellphone

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:18 pm 

Could zero it with the most common pellet you own or plan to use. Depending on the POI change, just hold off. If you switch pellets and notice a change.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:12 pm 

I was shooting earlier with the scope zeroed for heavy H&N Baracuda then tried some lightweight JSB Express and they were hitting about 4" to the left and 2" lower. That was only at 20 or 30 yards too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:46 am 

[quote="DDtank"]I was shooting earlier with the scope zeroed for heavy H&N Baracuda then tried some lightweight JSB Express and they were hitting about 4" to the left and 2" lower. That was only at 20 or 30 yards too.[/quote

This is what I had noticed when I changed pellets - POI moved to left and lower, just not as much as you stated, but the difference in pellet weight was not as large either.

Thanks for input everyone - helps confirm my thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:23 pm 

DDtank wrote:
I was shooting earlier with the scope zeroed for heavy H&N Baracuda then tried some lightweight JSB Express and they were hitting about 4" to the left and 2" lower. That was only at 20 or 30 yards too.

It Happens.

Standard operating procedure to have to re-zero with any rifle or handgun, air or powder burning, even bows having sights with different weight or spine or point arrows.

Sometimes similar pellets or bullets/loads/arrows will strike close to the same POI at closer ranges, but often, not.

Oft times, groups with open sights are large enough to 'cover' minor poi discrepancies that show quite vividly when using a scope.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:52 pm 

Do yourself a favor and download Hawke's Chairgun app. It has most of the popular pellets in it's database. Then all you need is chrony to know your MV, and you're laughing. It has most of their reticles on there too. Select your reticle and magnification setting and boom... the app calculates holdover values/POIs. Also through the app, there's an option there to show a graph and you can sort of roughly see at what distance the pellet hits its apex. I suggest you zero at that distance to eliminate near and far zeros and all you have to worry about is holdover (which the app will easily estimate for you). Chairgun, it's free. Cheers!

PS: Btw Bill, you said you have the 430L. You know there's very little reviews of that gun. It'd be nice if there'd be another one floating around :wink: . At 3.6 kg, you get an underlever for almost the same weight as an HW95! Would be nice to know more about it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:22 pm 

Chairgun is a great app! iz think most of us have it in the cellphone.

However you should not follow it 100% to make your adjustment and you still need to re zero your scope while you have changes on the gun for best accuracy at the same time using the data provided by Chairgun as a reference to make your job easier...

Sent from my LG cellphone

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:17 pm 

Agreed. Need to rezero every time there's a pellet change. Or any change really. And once zeroed, use Chairgun to get holdover values. Chairgun's close but not exact, but I find if you input everything correctly and your targets are the size of soda cans, it's usually bang on. If I'm being honest, my earlier post is just my not so subtle way to ask OP to review the 430L. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:56 am 

IanV wrote:
Do yourself a favor and download Hawke's Chairgun app. It has most of the popular pellets in it's database. Then all you need is chrony to know your MV, and you're laughing. It has most of their reticles on there too. Select your reticle and magnification setting and boom... the app calculates holdover values/POIs. Also through the app, there's an option there to show a graph and you can sort of roughly see at what distance the pellet hits its apex. I suggest you zero at that distance to eliminate near and far zeros and all you have to worry about is holdover (which the app will easily estimate for you). Chairgun, it's free. Cheers!

PS: Btw Bill, you said you have the 430L. You know there's very little reviews of that gun. It'd be nice if there'd be another one floating around :wink: . At 3.6 kg, you get an underlever for almost the same weight as an HW95! Would be nice to know more about it.

Hi IanV - thanks for the reminder. The weight and the original advertised open sights were two of the main reason I purchased it. I'm still finding things out about this air rifle and have not shot it a lot as I mainly shoot pistols. I will post a review as soon as I gain a bit more experience with it and am able to find time for some pictures.

Bill.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:13 pm 

Make sure you accurately measure the height of your scope's (or iron sight level top) centre, to the centre of the bore.
This will lend better accuracy to the chart provided.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:30 am 

I have two ranges in my house. When I have a gun zeroed for a range, change range or I test new pellets I write down the clicks of the scope to zero. That way when/if I want it back to where it was I know the exact clicks to bring it back to where it was.