Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Is my Beeman dieseling??
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:25 pm 

Hi. I recently bough an old Beeman 1783 rifle at a yard sale. Each time I fire it, it puts out a little wisp of blue smoke, and a weird acrid smell. Not a big cloud, just a little puff. I've put about 200 pellets through it, and it still does it... It's a low powered sub-500 fps gun, so is it even possible that it's dieseling? I didn't put any lubricants in it, but I can't attest to anything the previous owner may have done. It's my first springer, so I'm not sure whether this is normal or not. I don't really care too much about the gun itself (I paid $30 for it), but I'd rather not have it blow up in my face...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:30 pm 

Sounds like some dieseling to me...
Not a safety issue, and may just be excess lube from the chamber-(either from the factory or the previous owner) being atomized and ejected after the pellet. It can take 4-500 shots or more to clear it, so patience is a good thing. It should settle in eventually...
Someone may have used Pelgun oil instead of silicone chamber lube. If you swab the barrel with a q-tip at the breech end, is the residue red?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:02 am 

I wish we had 'smell-o-vision' because the smell you noticed would probably tell the tale. Now, even a 350 fps Daisy Red Ryder with leather seals oiled with 30w will put out a wisp of smoke every shot until the seals settle in. And there is a smell to the smoke. Not a burned oil smell like an old beater with bad rings but it is a distinctive odor just the same. It always reminds me of a car repair shop from the '50s. But that's not dieseling.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:44 am 

Thanks for the info. I haven't disassembled the gun, so I'm not sure how the internals are lubricated. But looking around the cocking lever area, it looks like every hinge and moving part has a good dollop of grease on it. I'm guessing it's factory-original, since the guy I got it from didn't look he's into maintaining anything. I just hope he didn't spray the thing with WD40...

As for the smell, yeah, it does remind me of very old, almost rancid grease. Definitely not the smell of a diesel truck exhaust.

Anyway, I'm not concerned for the rifle, it'll be a fun toy while it lasts. I just didn't want an overpressure situation to snap something and send it flying into my face. Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:01 pm 

I've put thousands of shots through my HW97 & HW98 and they still do it - no smoke reallly, but still the burnt oil smell.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:58 pm 

No worries about being injured by an explosion. One way to tell if there's an abundance of lube in the cylinder is if, say, after 10 shots or so the barrel is dirty, and that happens repeatedly. Not a threat to you or the rifle. Enjoy it, and you can always name it 'Smokey'. RC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:18 pm 

Bad dieseling is really hard on the piston, burning, and abrasion from byproducts of combustion.
Petroleum oils usually result in the formation of asphalt when burned. That, however minute the particles,
will be hard on the soft silicone (or whatever it is made of) piston.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:12 pm 

For 30 bucks I would shoot it for a while to see if it does settle down.