Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman Vigilante
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:29 am 

Do we dare compare its accuracy and reliability with S&W 586 even with difference in build quality and cost ?

Post subject: Re: Crosman Vigilante
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:59 am 

Actually, no :mrgreen:

I have both, and the Vigilante's trigger will never keep up to the 586, just for starters.

Main weak point of the Vigilante, apart from the trigger, is the bbl latch system, which sort of makes repeatable serious consistency hard to come by.

The Vigilante does out velocity the 586 by about 20 fps over my chronograph.
Vigilante is a fun plinker. If I'm serious about hitting tiny things, I reach for the 586.

A comparison between a 6" 38 C and the 586 would be a much more fair question.

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:46 pm 

I've never got to use a S&W 586, but I own a Vigilante. It is very powerful for what it costs. It's actually not even extremely C02 thirsty.

As far as accuracy goes, it's not terrible, but It's also not the most consistent shot to shot. I'd have to admit to not ever firing it at paper targets to check groupings, just soup cans and empty C02 cartridges, etc. I always shoot it single action, as the double action really hurts the ]accuracy.

If I wanted a cheaper alternative for shooting accurately at paper targets, I would maybe look at the 1377/1322 (but I hate to pump, so maybe the 2240 (they make a .177 conversion, for that one, I think.its called the 1740). Unless your shooting rapid fire?

I'm supposed to go out shooting tomorrow and if I do I'll try to shoot a group at a paper target with it. What distance do you shoot at? We typically shoot 10m. But I know for a pistol, at paper targets for scoring, would be one handed standing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:31 pm 

I'm supposed to go out shooting tomorrow and if I do I'll try to shoot a group at a paper target with it. What distance do you shoot at? We typically shoot 10m. But I know for a pistol, at paper targets for scoring, would be one handed standing.[/quote]

I shot the Vigilante at 10 yards this summer standing, free hand, using a green dot sight. I was able to put 60 pellets into a 3 to 4 inch group. At 15 yards, the group grew to 5 inches. Not a match pistol by any stretch of the imagination.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:10 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
Do we dare compare its accuracy and reliability with S&W 586 even with difference in build quality and cost ?

I am limited to 18 feet for target shooting with 1/2 inch or less groups from my 686 in single action./two hand hold with a laser mounted.
I will assume the Vigilante will not fare so well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:55 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
ten-ring wrote:

I am limited to 18 feet for target shooting with 1/2 inch or less groups from my 686 in single action./two hand hold with a laser mounted.
I will assume the Vigilante will not fare so well.

Crosman has been known to turn out the occasional halfway decent .177 bbl. They may come oh so close at 18 ft with something like R-10 pistol match out of both guns. Personally, I'd give the S&W the slight edge bbl wise. Umarex lifted a page or two from the LW bbl book when it came to these guns. Sometimes I suspect the bbl in mine to be an actual LW- it shoots that well...

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:17 pm 

I pretty much have to agree with Doc Sharptail on all counts other than I have no chrono numbers. I also agree with the accuracy of the 586/686 as seen by ten-ring.

Have shot and repaired all three (586, 38T and 357 - original version of the Vigilante).

Quality and accuracy of the 586/686 is far above. The DA is smooth like butter and SA is crisp. Replace any worn parts and shoot. The older gloss versions (like early 2000's) are better than the newer matte in my experience and I have read similar comments before as well. From dime to nickel groups are possible at 20 feet or so. I have also seen a fair performing matte 586-6 become a nicely performing 586-4, so the individual barrel does seem to make a difference. The price ($300+) is certainly higher and good luck tracking down an 8" barrel.

The 38T is a solid performer in terms of accuracy and trigger (older metal cylinder version in .22). It just needs the timing adjusted and a lube job. Nickel to quarter size groups at 20 feet can be had. These show up often as 38T or 38C for very nice prices, usually well under $100 and comparable in price to the current Vigilante. They are often noted as leakers, however.

The 357 can be 50 cent piece to loonie accurate at 20 feet, but the trigger in DA is usually rough. Hours of tuning still doesn't bring it up to the 38 or anywhere near the 586/686. The SA release can be very crisp, however. Other tuners may have had better results.
The barrel latch certainly can and does wear out on the barrel frame and the rubber under the latch gets too hard to be much fun to use and should be replaced as needed. I prefer the older version from the 80's and 90's with the brown grips.
$75 puts you in business here and they can usually be found locally (CT, PA, etc.). Tough to justify repairs if one needs pay $20 each way for shipping plus parts and labour. So save on shipping and learn to repair it yourself. Parts are available.

All three have similar internal layouts. 357/Vigilante is the most simple. The 38 was really the model previous to the 357. The 586/686 is a little different and opens from the opposite side, but can be worked on. Shipping to an expert might be justified here, however. :D

Anyway, its not a thread on repairs, so moving on.

Cheers!

ColdAir