Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Lee Enfield peep sight
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 pm 

Any one use a Lee Enfield type peep sight? On another forum someone sent me a history page of all the generations of the Lee Enfield sights. They look very nice. Probably quite difficult to obtain. But I could build one. But I'm curious if anyone here has and uses one.

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:20 am 

Actually 'Lee Enfield' just a name and it's no difference from the general name 'peep sight' we are using currently?!

Just searched it, and Google returned lots of WWI, very old style sights plus some Williams peep sights....

If so, I use it since I mod my 1322 with steel breech... And I got the second Williams for my HW30... However it's not 100% what I want and I am buying a Daisy Diopter peep sight to see the difference...

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:38 am 

There are a few lee enfield target sights for sale on ebay right now but pricey.

yepyep, The only two feature you will get with the avanti diopters is the click turrents and the light shroud. Both are not particularly high quality but perform adequately for casual use. They all do the same thing otherwise. What could make a difference is an adjustable rear iris. Get things in focus for our old tired eyes. Not cheap though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:21 am 

At one time you could hardly give the guns away. Now that so many have been sportarised and stripped for hunting they are in demand in full wood. Complete with wood seem to run about $400-$700 now. Cut my sights off 30 years ago and added new stock about ten years ago. One had to cut the front sights off the guns. Back sight I am not sure if it had to be cut or not. Then you had to buy a special mount and get them drilled and tapped to mount a scope. I don't ever remember if I got the sights back or not. Collectors would want the sights to get them back to original.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:46 am 

In the 80s you could get the whole rifle for 100 bucks.
Now the old girls are a tad bit more expensive

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:56 am 

The (European) website in question mentions, yeah, they couldn’t give them away and the government destroyed tens of thousands of them just due to overstock.
But in my short searches, I can’t find close ups or detailed drawings/photos of the sights. It would be a great machining project to build one. And I’d put it on my Archer 87 .177.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:32 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
There are a few lee enfield target sights for sale on ebay right now but pricey.

yepyep, The only two feature you will get with the avanti diopters is the click turrents and the light shroud. Both are not particularly high quality but perform adequately for casual use. They all do the same thing otherwise. What could make a difference is an adjustable rear iris. Get things in focus for our old tired eyes. Not cheap though.

Yeah, from the price difference I may already able to tell the difference between the Daisy one and the high end one...

But looks the additional functions other than a Williams are all what I want ~ a light shroud, adjustable iris, the click turrets ( the 5D-AG I bought for my HW30 doesn't have that... Good design that the zero won't be affected as you can remove the upper part from the base with everything un touched, but the adjustment is difficult to make without the click turrets but only screws... ). Just hopes it's durable ~

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:33 am 

Are you talking about the Parker-Hale-5B

Or The Lyman™ Receiver Sight 57

Williams makes a few.

You can make a peep sight easy. L bracket with a slot in the center. With a Apature that you raise and loosen via a threaded aperture with a nut.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:02 pm 

Aperture.

Check Gun Parts, West Hurley NY.

Google might be your friend.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:31 pm 

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/PH_Service_sights.htm

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:31 pm 

LOL. I wonder how old that ad is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:10 pm 

You have better luck finding peep sights off mossberg 151 or 46B. Meant to screw onto a round reciever.

Then trying to find the PH sight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:01 pm 

Oh my goodness. The parker Hale sights are ridiculously expensive... That's nuts.
I hadn't actually looked up the prices.
Lol. I guess I HAVE to build one if I want it.
I need more info tho. I need to try to understand more about them in order to understand how to build one.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:31 am 

Still have no idea which exact sight you are trying to find?

Be aware sights for LE are mounted on a FLAT squared surface. You need one for a round surface. Why I suggested the Mossberg S130 peep. Plus it folds out of the way if you want to use the V notch rear sights.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 am 

Well, to be fair, I don't know what I'm looking for either. Or if it's even worth it.
Someone sent me a link (I posted earlier) and I liked the look/idea of those peep sights. My archer 87 .177 is a 400-550 fps (with the right pellet), nice solid, decently quality rifle. I don't use it enough. I had a scope on it a while back but it had some pretty serious pellet drop, likely because I was trying to use too heavy a pellet for that rifle. If I put a 10 grain in there it's only like 250-300 fps. The leather seals are old. I tried reconditioning them with limited success. But with a 7ish grain pellet, the rifle will pop it out at 550 fps.

So, since I'm going to literally do nothing but relatively close range target/plinking with that rifle, I figure a cool peep sight would be entertaining.
I had plans to actually build the assembly, because as it turns out, they're all rather expensive.
Something that mounts to the dovetail would obviously be ideal, but I can modify any mounting system to work.

But at the end of the day, I have no idea what I'm looking for.
I was hoping someone had one they use and could educate me somewhat, and/or post food detailed photos to give me an idea of how to build it.

Some other junk rifles