Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:16 pm 

Ok, I have my first Blowback action pistol on the way - it has a slide lock switch on the side. My assumption is that I can lock the slide in the back position and not have the blowback feature engaged; thereby saving on CO2?

Sorry if this might be a 'silly question', but newbie to this feature.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:24 pm 

Doubt it. One lever is to mimic the take down lever, and the other is the slide lock. To lock back the slide to clear jams. It doesn't lock the slide from blowing back.

Right side is the safety. Sorry no way of disabling.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:40 pm 

Hmmm, I was under the impression that if the slide lock is in place (slider is in back position locked), the gun should still be able to fire without the slider going back and forth in the blowback action.

leadslinger wrote:
Doubt it. One lever is to mimic the take down lever, and the other is the slide lock. To lock back the slide to clear jams. It doesn't lock the slide from blowing back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:48 pm 

Why not just try it & see what happens, it will work or not - just do it - :roll:

Last edited by Daryl on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:48 pm 

BBKen wrote:
My assumption is that I can lock the slide in the back position and not have the blowback feature engaged; thereby saving on CO2?

It depends on the model but for the vast majority if you locked the slide in place, more or less the same amount of CO2 is going to exit the magazine and you risk damaging the mechanism.

If you want better CO2 economy, go for a non-blowback pistol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:53 pm 

Would try, but gun is on order...just curious at the moment. It's a Beretta APX

Daryl wrote:
Why not just try it & see what happens, it will work or not - just do it - :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:04 pm 

I think PZAM is right ~

The design of the gun decided how much co2 uses in every shot... And in a blow back action pistol, certain amount is for pushing back the slide and I doubt we can save that...

And I think the lock mechanism you talk about is for the hold open function?!

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:12 pm 

BBKen wrote:

This one?

If so, don't try it. Much like a sexually frustrated Arctic explorer, you're liable to end up blowing a seal, or worse!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:14 pm 

BBKen wrote:
Hmmm, I was under the impression that if the slide lock is in place (slider is in back position locked), the gun should still be able to fire without the slider going back and forth in the blowback action.

leadslinger wrote:

Only slider is the safety on the right side. The slick lock on the left is only to lock the slide back or release it when pressed down.

Even If you held the slide from blowing back. The valve would still waste Co2. Because the slide catch, lock or whatever name people call. Has nothing to do with shutting off gas. So there still be gas supplied to the blockback mechanism.

My 20 plus years with firearms. No slide lock will lock the slide from moving. Only a few safeties will. But then again it will not allow the gun to fire.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:18 pm 

Yup..that's the one.

Ok, I won't bother with locking the back of the slide manually. I hope that the gun isn't that fragile...I mean, if all BBs are out, the slide will lock back but during shooting, one can lose track that they're out of BBs and continue to fire away.

PZAM wrote:
BBKen wrote:

This one?

If so, don't try it. Much like a sexually frustrated Arctic explorer, you're liable to end up blowing a seal, or worse!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:20 pm 

That is correct - the lock mechanism to hold open the slider in the back position.

YepYep wrote:
I think PZAM is right ~

The design of the gun decided how much co2 uses in every shot... And in a blow back action pistol, certain amount is for pushing back the slide and I doubt we can save that...

And I think the lock mechanism you talk about is for the hold open function?!

Sent from my LG cellphone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:25 pm 

BBKen wrote:
Yup..that's the one.

Ok, I won't bother with locking the back of the slide manually. I hope that the gun isn't that fragile...I mean, if all BBs are out, the slide will lock back but during shooting, one can lose track that they're out of BBs and continue to fire away.

PZAM wrote:
BBKen wrote:

This one?

That's another function of the slide stop. The follower on the magazine will push the slide stop up to engage when empty. Letting you know to reload.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:19 pm 

APX, SA177 and 9XP are the same gun locking the slide forward will not result in less CO2 consumption but may be just may be in an increase of velocity if the barrel is long enough. On that particular gun the slide does nothing, mecanichaly as for reloading or firing BB's. You could just block the back of the CO2/blowback chamber so no CO2 could get in the chamber. That's the way I see the inner function of this gun, I may be totaly wrong, but that's the way I see that gun…

SilentMan

p:s this will work only for this particular gun, as far as I know it will not work on any other gun...

Glock G17 6mm
SW M'n'P 40, Crosman 357 6'', SA 1911 TRS
Brodax 44, M1911A1 twin barrel 6mm.
M1911 Dragon 7'' Hi-Capa6mm, M1911 twin Hi-Capa
H'n'K USP. DT4 Nemesis 6mm