Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:49 am 

Hi folks:

Just trying to get an idea what brand of CO2 cartridges do you all find best? Having a variety of CO2 guns, i'm not sure if some guns work better with different brands. For example, Umarex guns works better with Crosman CO2s, etc..

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:48 am 

BBKen wrote:
Hi folks:

Just trying to get an idea what brand of CO2 cartridges do you all find best?

Cheap ones. :lol:

Usually buy the carton of 40 (Crosman) when they go on sale at Princess Auto. Out here, that's $19.99 + gst.

Al

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:03 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
BBKen wrote:
Hi folks:

Just trying to get an idea what brand of CO2 cartridges do you all find best?

Cheap ones. :lol:

Usually buy the carton of 40 (Crosman) when they go on sale at Princess Auto. Out here, that's $19.99 + gst.

Al

Cheap is the main metric I use.. Anything under 75 cents a cart for me is good. I never checked Prince Auto, thanks for the unintentional tip! :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:30 pm 

I still have a few 12pack UX that I am using now after I finished my last 40pack Crosman not long ago...

But I think next time I will buy the Crosman again (40pack), as it's cheaper ~ lol

And I have once a UX CO2 had very strange smell... But didn't see this again on all my other co2....

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:09 pm 

The reason I replied to this post is to point out the one difference I have noted between carts that may be of interest to some. Some carts, ie: Crosman, have what could be described as a 'cap' on the end somewhat like a pop bottle cap. Other carts, ie: Daisy, have a smooth sided top. Where this becomes of importance is if you have a gun that seals the inserted cart with an o-ring around it's neck instead of the usual practice of sealing against the end of the cart. If you use a cap-style cart in the o-ring seal gun eventually the cap will rip (or at least scratch) the o-ring when removing the empty cart from the gun. The original Walther lever-action rifle that used two 12g carts uses the o-ring sealing method, for example.

Having said all that, I mostly buy Crosman, when they are on sale, typically at Princess Auto. I haven't seen any on sale lately.

Attachment:
CO2necks.jpg
CO2necks.jpg [ 8.9 KiB | Viewed 491 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:28 pm 

Good to know: how can one find out what guns use the O ring seal type, and those that don't? Unless the O-Ring seal method is rare?

lleader wrote:
The reason I replied to this post is to point out the one difference I have noted between carts that may be of interest to some. Some carts, ie: Crosman, have what could be described as a 'cap' on the end somewhat like a pop bottle cap. Other carts, ie: Daisy, have a smooth sided top. Where this becomes of importance is if you have a gun that seals the inserted cart with an o-ring around it's neck instead of the usual practice of sealing against the end of the cart. If you use a cap-style cart in the o-ring seal gun eventually the cap will rip (or at least scratch) the o-ring when removing the empty cart from the gun. The original Walther lever-action rifle that used two 12g carts uses the o-ring sealing method, for example.

Having said all that, I mostly buy Crosman, when they are on sale, typically at Princess Auto. I haven't seen any on sale lately.

Attachment:
CO2necks.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:00 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

I buy the carton of 40 Crosman CO2 when needed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:10 pm 

BBKen wrote:
Good to know: how can one find out what guns use the O ring seal type, and those that don't? Unless the O-Ring seal method is rare?

I would have to say the O-Ring seal method would qualify as rare. IIRC I only have the one gun (the Walther 1894 lever action) that uses them, but it's something to be aware of. Also, when buying them you can't always trust that just because you bought one brand that had them once, that the next time they will be the same. I have seen Gamo carts come both ways.

I have Gamo, Daisy, Walther, Swiss Arms and Tactical Crusader that have the smooth neck. The Tactical Crusader ones were a one time, out of nowhere, buy at Princess Auto at $19.99 for 40. I didn't realize they were smooth necks until after I bought two boxes - at my age a lifetime supply.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:42 pm 

I found about 10% less shots with Umarex ones.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:47 pm 

Actually once before I weight several pieces of both brands I had in hand, and they all had same 12g or a very little more by the weight... But I only bought and used UX and Crosman, don't know about other brands...

And... Never count how many shots and make comparison from this way ~ looks it's another way to compare the quality too ~

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia