Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:24 pm 

i have a question, if i want to simply increase my power on my spring powerd hatsan mod 40 , what is the best way i have heard of people stretching the spring , but ive also heard people say they compress it by adding a few coins in the back of the spring and that also increases power . what is more effective , i can say i noticed a slight increase in sound and power when i stretched my spring

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:40 pm 

I have found stretching springs they revert back to where they were in a short period of time. I add a little piece of pvc (Electrical Conduit). Makes the gun quieter also with just a solid thud when shot. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 pm 

When you stretch a spring to a longer length, or "set" it to a shorter length.... you don't change the spring rate, but you do change the preload.... more preload by stretching it, less by setting it.... Providing the stretched spring is not compressed to reduce its new longer length, you will get more "power".... However, if you stretch a spring and then when it compresses on cocking that compression force exceeds the yield strength of the (now longer) spring, it will revert to the length it had before you stretched it, or something in between....

Increasing the preload by inserting a spacer will also increase the power, unless when you cock the gun the increased stress exceeds the yield strength, in which case the spring LOA will decrease, and if you disassemble the gun and measure the spring, it will be shorter.... Basically, any given spring will have a maximum force it can develop which occurs when the spring is "coil bound", ie all the wire coils are touching and the spring cannot be compressed any further....

Some spring gun tuners, when installing a new spring "set" it completely by compressing it over a guide (to keep it straight) until the coils touch.... This is the maximum force it can ever achieve.... If installed with a spacer so that when cocked the spring is JUST fractionally longer than its coil bound length, that is maximum power with that spring.... Whether the gun shoots as smoothly at that setting is entirely another matter, of course.... Setting the spring in this manner has one additional benefit, the spring is unlikely to get shorter with use, because it has already been fully compressed during the setting process.... Any subsequent compression should not cause it to yield and get shorter.... Using preload to adjust the cocked length will then provide more consistent results over the life of the spring....This is particularly true if you use a shorter spacer and run the spring with significantly less load than maximum....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:12 pm 

If you want more power, buy a more powerful rifle.

I 'see' you are going to make your rifle diesel to increase power - you might make that come true, until the gun breaks - either seal, spring or likely both.

If you have a P.A.L. - buy the more powerful gun. If you do not have a P.A.L. - you are breaking the law if you put it much over 500fps with normal pellets.

If a .22 cal, anything over 500fps is illegal. Sub 500fps, imho are not ethical hunting guns.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:49 am 

yah i have a good knowledge of local law and hunting regulation , if only these damn guns could kill something , went out this weekend and gave 2 birds a good wack in there noggin and they both got away probably be sore for the next while or dead in a few days, the 500fps rule is kind of flawed in my opinion for this reason

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:59 am 

check this out http://airguns.ro/Hatsan-Air-Rifle/Hatsan-MOD-40-89.html

my gun says 495 FPS on the side but here it says 650

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:48 am 

I would assume it's a detuned model for the Canadian market, to make sure you don't wack too many birds in there noggin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:43 am 

jblaze wrote:
check this out http://airguns.ro/Hatsan-Air-Rifle/Hatsan-MOD-40-89.html

my gun says 495 FPS on the side but here it says 650

Because your gun was detuned for the Canadian market. Airguns are firearms over 500 FPS, and thus require a firearm license. Some do not want that. And there a market for detuned guns.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:42 pm 

I added a spacer to my C-Tire Hatsan Mod55S spring.
PICTURES - #p528453

I cut down CO2 bulbs to make spacers. The tapered nose of the co2 bulb secures it in the spring.
I tried putting spacers at the end of the spring but it would no longer cock, even with a thin washer.
Putting the spacer at the piston allows it to be cocked and did boost the power.

Of the three spacers I made out of CO2 bulbs the big one was the only one that made a difference.
I think I could get a full co2 bulb in there but stopped because the plastic plunger on the piston is also a 'Canadian Version' made to reduce velocity so spring shimming will only get you so far. For me it was enough.

My Hatsan now 'feels' more like a 'springer' with all the difficulties of shooting a full power one.
Although practicing with it has made me a better PCP shooter. It made me realize I was putting too much pressure on the stock comb with my cheek sending pellets to the left.

Attachments:
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG [ 239.81 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG [ 208.39 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:15 pm 

wow wish i would have seen this before i modified mine ..

i want to post pictures but putting the spring in mine i almost dislocated my arm and i tore my palms up

i basicly took this door spring Image

through it down into the plunger/ piston and put a small steel washer then put the existing spring on the gide rod and crammed it all in , it sounds VERY dangerous now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:32 pm 

MY GOD!!!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:06 pm 

thunder bay eh? were are you hunting lately spruce river road lol