Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:08 am 

Here's a tip for an easier trigger pull. After cocking, and with the safety ON, pull the trigger until it clicks, release the safety, shoot.
Cool little pistol. RC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:27 am 

RC1947 wrote:
Here's a tip for an easier trigger pull. After cocking, and with the safety ON, pull the trigger until it clicks, release the safety, shoot.
Cool little pistol. RC

Sorry but that poor practice. And should not be done or suggested. Basically what you are doing is forcing the sear down. So it barely catching the piston. So there is a chance of the gun firing, once the safety is removed. Because repeated doing so, will wear it down. Making the gun unsafe.

#1 rule.. Don't rely on mechanical safeties.

Just look at the millions of Remington 700s recalled for the safety failing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:46 pm 

....X2 on that,......You're better to do some quick trigger work as per the You-Tube video....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:57 pm 

thumper wrote:
..Doc, He has to start, like I did, at the bottom..! Besides, him and his father & uncle will part out my collection when I'm gone (which won't be long ) ... If you give someone a crummy airgun , they'll appreciate the next one you give them even more ....lol

Well, that's sad!
Not totally wrong with the crummy airgun, but you have to have someone who likes shooting to start with. My son isn't a big fan so I'm trying to find fun airguns to shoot and it can't be fun if you're not hitting what you're aiming at.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:19 pm 

.....stand closer .....skills take some effort ....lol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:53 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
RC1947 wrote:
Cool little pistol. RC

Sorry but that poor practice. And should not be done or suggested. Basically what you are doing is forcing the sear down. So it barely catching the piston. So there is a chance of the gun firing, once the safety is removed. Because repeated doing so, will wear it down. Making the gun unsafe.

I received that re-call myself. The trigger (sear engagement screw) was the problem, not the safety. Due to the fault in the screw sealant, gun oil softened it and the screw could and would back out from firing vibration and recoil. If this happened and the bolt was cocked, safety applied, trigger inadvertently pulled, then safety released, the gun would fire. This is how a local gun smith described it to me and gave me a replacement trigger for my M700- & is it exactly what happened to my model 660 6.5 Rem Mag. back in back in 1971. It took Remington 46 years to acknowledge this 'problem' with those triggers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:16 pm 

Leadslinger was absolutley correct - NEVER trust a safety. Always use one, but never trust it.

That means ALWAYS point the muzzle in a safe direction ie: down range - which is any safe direction, not necessarily - down the range

thus, if the inexplicable happens & the gun goes off, no one is injured - EVER.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:14 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Leadslinger was absolutley correct - NEVER trust a safety. Always use one, but never trust it.

That means ALWAYS point the muzzle in a safe direction ie: down range
- which is any safe direction, not necessarily - down the range

yes... that's what your taught to do when you take the your PAL course
but how many people remember lol...just look at some YouTube videos.... not many.... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:09 pm 

Yep... More ppl break the barrel, then leave it there and bla-bla say a lot with gestures...I always waiting to see the gun mis fire and snap close then bend the barrel ~ [emoji38] I am just too bad ~

As this little guy is a break barrek springer... Do I need to follow the same to hold the barrel tight while loading?!

Sent from my LG cellphone

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:33 am 

leadslinger wrote:
RC1947 wrote:
Cool little pistol. RC

And Tenpoint and Excalibur and other crossbows for the very same thing except the second you put safety back on they would fire. So if hunting and you take off safety and decide on no shot and click the safety back on the bow would fire. They all did a voluntary recall after they registered the problem.

CHEERS!

Last edited by wheeliehd on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:39 am 

Wasn't really going into detail why Rem trigger mechs fail. But the safety is built in with the trigger mech. So even if something failed. People still tried testing their mechanical safety. So same concept as RC. He messing with the sear engagement, and relying on the safety to keep it from firing.

Ace wrote:
Daryl wrote:

but how many people remember lol...just look at some YouTube videos.... not many.... :roll:

That's youtube and Americans.. You pull any of this stuff on a range, you will get the boot. EVEN in the military, on a live fire. You won't see this from me or my father who teaches basic and advanced firearm courses.

I watched a Private get kicked and chewed out. When he decided to try and do a barrel roll on a live fire range. Canadian are more safety cautious.

But back to how many remember. Well ask the many hunters yearly that have hunting camp accidents. Because they failed to unload a rifle. Alot of these accidents are people that def been around long enough. But they get complacent. I call them the 3 shots a year hunters.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Wasn't really going into detail why Rem trigger mechs fail. But the safety is built in with the trigger mech. So even if something failed. People still tried testing their mechanical safety. So same concept as RC. He messing with the sear engagement, and relying on the safety to keep it from firing.

Ace wrote:
Daryl wrote:

That's youtube and Americans.. You pull any of this stuff on a range, you will get the boot. EVEN in the military, on a live fire. You won't see this from me or my father who teaches basic and advanced firearm courses.

I watched a Private get kicked and chewed out. When he decided to try and do a barrel roll on a live fire range. Canadian are more safety cautious.

But back to how many remember. Well ask the many hunters yearly that have hunting camp accidents. Because they failed to unload a rifle. Alot of these accidents are people that def been around long enough. But they get complacent. I call them the 3 shots a year hunters.

That is one of the hastiest generalizations I've read recently, and I've read many. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:43 pm 

Damn awful thing....cannot decide if hate the moulding lines of the barrel more than the terrible trigger pressure required..
Usually tune all pistols but i rejected the offer to tune this for a club member over major concerns that the barrel cocking linkeage/pivot might break...it dont look robust enough for even the stock set up!
Surely at the approach to the 2020s we just got to be doing it better than this if you consider Webley first came out with its Mk1 in 1926. weve gone in reverse i think...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:58 pm 

YepYep wrote:
always waiting to see the gun mis fire and snap close then bend the barrel

A "misfire" happens when the gun fails to fire (misses firing) when you pull the trigger - that is a misfire.

Firing when in the cocked but not locked position, as in sear letting go it's engagement and snapping the barrel closed and/or bending the barrel as well as

cutting off par of a finger or thumb, is not a misfire.

Before joining this forum, I did not know springers 'would' or 'could' do that. Now, I hold the barrel as I load it and actually cringe a bit when I see someone not holding the barrel

when loading. The pictures of missing pieces of thumb or finger on the web - yikes That would likely sting a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:16 pm 

Yep, that's what I meant, the gun fired by mistake...

I am lucky to learned this before I really own my break barrel springer. So as what you do, I hold the barrel with one hand and use the same arm to fix it in position with the body then load the gun with the other hand....

Sent from my LG cellphone

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm