Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: I now own a Tempest
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:44 pm 

I bought a Webly Tempest .177 last week from Scott. It finally came in yesterday, though I couldn't pick it up until today.

It's in very good condition, also has everything it originally shipped with, including the manual and a unqiue looking warranty advertisement.

Post subject: Re: I now own a Tempest
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:56 pm 

Looks good. I enjoy plinking in the garage with my Tempest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:16 pm 

Nice...
If I can make a suggestion, Webleys work best with a light grip. I use pressure on only my thumb and 3rd finger. In Webleys (and some other spring pistols),the piston fires to the rear. This makes for a different shot dynamic, and takes some getting used to...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:09 pm 

@gab, I plink in my storage/cold cellar.

@57scott

ah yeah, I know for spring rifles you need to use artillery hold for best accuracy, I guess it's similar for some spring pistols.

I just shot it. It took me a while to figure out how to cock it (I needed to pull the barrel back further than I thought), it did hit the cans and styrofoam cups I was aiming at.

Can't tell exactly how accurate it shoots as I don't yet have a clip on my home made trap to hold a paper target, but I will be fixing that soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:27 pm 

Nice, just goto the dollar store and get a bulldog clip. Or just hammer a nail or screw a piece of cardboard, to tape a target on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:36 pm 

I'm gonna go with the dollar store bulldog clip, as the cardboard would need to be replaced a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:18 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
I'm gonna go with the dollar store bulldog clip, as the cardboard would need to be replaced a lot.

Not a lot. Just when the holes get big. Putting target on cardboard, gives you cleaner holes. And more solid base.

If you shoot straight paper, you get more tears/rips and bigger holes. Nothing more satisfying then putting a new target on a fresh backing and shooting it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:46 pm 

Yes.

I guess, what could also work is a clip on top and bottom, to hold the paper more straight and tight.

I just don't wanna run out of cardboard. I usually don't have much of the thick box like stuff, but have lots of the thinner food packaging type cardboard. That said, I could also just not recycle all the cardboard I get in anymore, and collect some for backing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:02 pm 

Yeah~ a Tempest !

I actually like to have one for a long time for its good reputation and nice looking in my eyes...

However a high power spring pistol just looks a bit too much challenge to me, ie the HW45, it just never been tamed to be a good kitten... Some times shoots very well in my hands, some times just show me a completely different face... Back and forth... I know I still have a long way to walk with it ~

And it says you will need a bigger effort to cock the Tempest too.

So I just hesitated to get myself one again and again...

Looking forward for more details about the experience on the Tempest from you ~ Congrats for the new collection ~ [emoji38]

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:45 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
@gab, I plink in my storage/cold cellar.

@57scott

ah yeah, I know for spring rifles you need to use artillery hold for best accuracy, I guess it's similar for some spring pistols.

I just shot it. It took me a while to figure out how to cock it (I needed to pull the barrel back further than I thought), it did hit the cans and styrofoam cups I was aiming at.

Can't tell exactly how accurate it shoots as I don't yet have a clip on my home made trap to hold a paper target, but I will be fixing that soon.

Sorry-forgot to mention this:
You'll find it a lot easier to cock it if you release the barrel lock, then reverse the hand that's cocking the gun so that it's underneath the barrel . In other words, you have much better leverage pushing the barrel into cocked position, rather than pulling it up and over. It seems to be counter-intuitive, but it works well...

Your wrist will thank me...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:15 pm 

57scott wrote:

Sorry-forgot to mention this:
You'll find it a lot easier to cock it if you release the barrel lock, then reverse the hand that's cocking the gun so that it's underneath the barrel . In other words, you have much better leverage pushing the barrel into cocked position, rather than pulling it up and over. It seems to be counter-intuitive, but it works well...

Your wrist will thank me...

It says that int he manual too. yes, I do it that way, it really works. trying to pull it up and over wasn't working.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:45 am 

Congrats, nice addition to your collection!

Though not exactly the same, I have the Webley Hurricane, which is the growth-hormone-fed brother of your pistol. Best grip I found works really good with that pistol is to grab it lightly with your right hand and use your left hand as a cup underneath your right hand to support the weight of the pistol, all the control being done with your right hand (light grip). One-hand shooting is best with the way 57scott described it. Best pellets are JSB Exact 8.44, but the RS are almost as good. For cocking I just rest the gun on my upper thigh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:55 pm 

Testing the Webley Tempest .177’s accuracy.

I am still very much an amateur, especially when it comes to spring air guns. I was also using cheap Crosman Destroyer pellets I have left over from years back.

I started shooting from a distance (which is where the higher holes come from) but then to remove as much of my human error as I could I moved in real close which is where all the holes around the bullseye come from.

So it seems the gun is accurate and sights seem to be in fine position, only problem is me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:07 pm 

If you get the hold right they can shoot well. I have a Hurricane that I inherited from my Dad. Great, solid feeling pistols.

As for targets, I use a clipboard with the center cut out that slots into my home made duct seal trap. Using card stock for the targets I've always got good, clean sharp edged holes despite having no backing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:58 pm 

I save all my cereal box cardboard (mini wheats is best) and back all my paper targets with it....one sheet per target, works awesome....even with my pictures of Trump, lol ..............