Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: QB78 vs Artemis CR600W
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:22 am 

I'm looking to add a C02 rifle to my collection.
Both the QB78 and Artemis CR600 seem like similar choices. Both are inexpensive and seem to offer similar performance.
The Artemis seems quite a bit fancier but I like the simple old-school Crosman 160 nostalgia of the QB78 too. I have a Diana Chaser pistol that uses the same action as the Artemis and quite like it.

Not really planning any modifications to either apart from a set of Williams peep sights.

Use will be primarily basement plinking and the odd yard pest.
Neither of these would be used for serious hunting as I'm in Northern Manitoba and C02 in cold weather doesn't perform well.
I have a few PAL spring rifles or rimfires to use for any actual hunting scenarios.

I have my PAL but it looks like the PAL versions of these rifles offer barely any performance advantage over the non-PAL which hits close to 500fps in .22 with medium weight pellets anyway. The advantage to the non-PAL being I wouldn't have to worry about storage issues.

So I guess I have 3 questions.....
Which would you buy and why?
Is the Artemis significantly better than the QB78?
and finally... Is there any big advantage to getting the PAL version of these rifles?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 am 

I have both, the artemis is a lot better and simplier in mechanism and design, both are equal in shooting, parts distribution is still very early to tell but looks promising for the artemis. aesthetic wise, I like the artemis stock, I see more advantage on the artemis as it has the multi shot magazine and single shot option already part of the package, the real advantage would come on the pcp, but if your going for the classic look, QB is for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 am 

Thanks for your take.
That's pretty much how I saw it too.

The magazine would be handy but I think I'd generally use the single load tray.
Do you think a dovetail mounted peep sight like a Williams 5d would clear the magazine?
That might stick me with just the single-loader anyway.....

Its tempting to just bite the bullet and set myself up for PCP but considering the indoor use at only 12yds the PCP .22 rifles just have way too much noise and power. My pellet trap will handle a .22 at 500fps but my XS25 at 720 beats it up. I have a bullet box for rimfires thatll handle higher powered stuff but it kinda sucks for target mounting and doesn't hold high velocity lead fragments very well.
Not to mention I could buy a lot of C02 for the price of a PCP charging setup....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:13 pm 

I also have both the qb78 and cr600w... and to pick one over the other is a tough choice. They are both amazing value However if youre not going to be modifying the gun id say to go with the Artemis. The only down side with the cr600w is that out of the box the magazine has trouble feeding certain pellets, especially wadcutters. And its quite a svelte rifle, its a great backpacker size but definitely feels small and light in hand, where the qb78 feels a lot more substantial.... oh one other thought, the cr co2 tube cap can be opened while there is gas in the gun, allowing you to easley degass the gun. The qb actually pressurizes the co2 tube and you are unable to screw off the cap, requiring you to dry fire the gun till empty if you wish to degass it.... not a huge deal but its the only thing i really dislike about my qb.... Im sure you'll be happy with either choice though :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:01 pm 

I wrestled with the same decision. Came down to I can bulk fill the QB78S (.177 full power) with a fitting from the forum store here ($65. with shipping) and tether it to a tank. Then if taking it outside I can run the powerlets in it still. Also went with the QB78S because I own no thumbhole stocks and it has a rail for a bipod which I wanted for a house bench gun. Went this route so I will be mostly there if/when I get a PCP. Going baby steps. Good luck with decision. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:34 pm 

I like both guns. The stock is perhaps a bit nicer to me on the Artemis. It also has the advantage of having storage for two spare co2 cartridge in the tube. Plus I like the magazine, though I do have a magazine system on my Qb78 that I like too.
The rail on the Artemis is short, so scope lovers might prefer the QB which has a nice long breech. But most scopes aren't an issue.
The Qb78 definitely has the advantage if you want to convert it to air, but I've also converted a couple of these Cr600w to air as well and they make a great under 500fps pcp. Nice and light is one big advantage, and you can also buy an extra barrel band to put a bipod on.
If going with a qb, I'd probably choose the Qb78D, since the upgraded barrel is nice, and known for good accuracy. That's what I have so I'm probably biased that way =).

As they are basically the same price, I'd have to say the CR600W is probably the best deal, but it all depends on what you want. Like mentioned above, the ease of converting the QB to air or bulk fill co2 is such a great plus for tinkerers that if that's you I'd say go for it. If you just want to shoot the gun, then maybe I'd go with the cr600w.
That's just me, and I love them both for what they are. =)

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 am 

Well it seems like I cant go wrong with either one....
I'm leaning towards a AR2078 as it comes with a cool thumbhole target stock and target peep sights from the factory.
Yesterday I ran into some trouble mounting a Williams peep sight (the dovetail 5d model) to my Slavia and Diana 24. The sight was slightly too high and wouldn't zero at 12yds even bottomed out. I could switch to a 6 oclock hold but prefer cutting the cookie for all my other rifles and want consistency. Luckily a 5d worked on my XS25 so that was nice.
The AR2078 has the peep installed so that saves any worry about my preferred sighting system.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:34 pm 

Hi diananike
As you are now 'leaning' in the direction of an AR2078 A, I'd like to chime in.
I have an AR20178 B (that's the one with the match style stock AND the side lever cocking) When I ordered from scopesandammo.com Eric has suggested getting the fittings to convert the CO2 to HPA - when I decided - to go that route since I already have several PCPs in my stable. It didn't cost much to add and a nice -down the raod - feature capabilty with the AR 2078x series.
Anyway...what I'd comment about is the fact that one of the previous comments indicated that you'd have to dry fire a CO2 airgun rifle to 'degass' it. Well with the AR20178 A if it's like my kit...the package may include a Degassing Tool. Check with your retailer.
As for your Choices' they are all 'fine' entry level CO2 airgun rifles that will give you much enjoyment on your way towards HPA. BTW QB Chief in .22 is something to consider while you're at it.
Good luck.
Hawk-i

KRAL Puncher Marine .177
Ind.Brand AR2078 B Match .177
Weihrauch HW50S .117
SigSauer P320 M17
Webley Hurricane
Weihrauch HW45 SS .22
Daisy Avanti 747
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:48 am 

Hawk-I wrote:
Hi diananike
As you are now 'leaning' in the direction of an AR2078 A, I'd like to chime in.
I have an AR20178 B (that's the one with the match style stock AND the side lever cocking) When I ordered from scopesandammo.com Eric has suggested getting the fittings to convert the CO2 to HPA - when I decided - to go that route since I already have several PCPs in my stable. It didn't cost much to add and a nice -down the raod - feature capabilty with the AR 2078x series.
Anyway...what I'd comment about is the fact that one of the previous comments indicated that you'd have to dry fire a CO2 airgun rifle to 'degass' it. Well with the AR20178 A if it's like my kit...the package may include a Degassing Tool. Check with your retailer.
As for your Choices' they are all 'fine' entry level CO2 airgun rifles that will give you much enjoyment on your way towards HPA. BTW QB Chief in .22 is something to consider while you're at it.
Good luck.
Hawk-i

Oh good to know if I get a QB I can convert it.
That would get me into PCP easily when I'm ready to invest in the equipment.
Heading down to Mexico for a few weeks and will likely be purchasing a QB when I get back.
If I cant get find a AR2078 I have a spare Williams 5d peep I can install on a standard QB.

I think I'll stick with C02 for the rest of this winter and might switch it out for the PCP fittings next winter. If I cant find a degassing tool I might run single C02 cartridges with a dummy used one to fill the chamber, that way I'm not wasting a bunch of gas if I don't have the time to burn through 2 full canisters.

Usually I shoot mostly powderburners once spring arrives and switch to airguns when shooting outside isn't practical anymore. Makes me wax nostalgic about when I had an indoor gun range membership in Winnipeg, unfortunately nowhere to shoot indoors in the North.