Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:27 pm 

Good point on the hammer spring. That'll give you a lot better efficiency.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:28 pm 

Nice nitrogen setup Daryl! Sounds like you are well set up as well Wheelie!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:49 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
987654321 wrote:
I shoot a lot and handpump everything. A 13/3000psi tank isn't that bad. The power/efficiency of the airgun matters more than the size of the tank.

I don't pump more than about 35 strokes at a time to keep the pump from overheating. The pump overheats before I do.

I've got a 20fpe bottled QB78, pumping never keeps me from shooting.

If you go with an 850psi tank (more than enough for light target shooting) you'll want to lighten the hammer spring by a couple of coils.

Thank you. Yes I only shoot in the house with it. What kinda speed you get with your 20 fpe?

It shoots 18's at 720fps. That's at 1400psi. I could easily hit high 800's, but I've left the barrel port, valve exhaust port, and poppet stock.

Indoors, 850 psi will be plenty.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:50 pm 

Will do the hammer spring one day and pull the fuzz out of the valve. Not comfortable with that right now. I do all my own work on my springers. BABY STEPS! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:01 pm 

987654321 wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:
987654321 wrote:
I shoot a lot and handpump everything. A 13/3000psi tank isn't that bad. The power/efficiency of the airgun matters more than the size of the tank.

I don't pump more than about 35 strokes at a time to keep the pump from overheating. The pump overheats before I do.

I've got a 20fpe bottled QB78, pumping never keeps me from shooting.

If you go with an 850psi tank (more than enough for light target shooting) you'll want to lighten the hammer spring by a couple of coils.

Thank you. Yes I only shoot in the house with it. What kinda speed you get with your 20 fpe?

It shoots 18's at 720fps. That's at 1400psi. I could easily hit high 800's, but I've left the barrel port, valve exhaust port, and poppet stock.

Indoors, 850 psi will be plenty.

Thank you. I am happy with speed with the caplets has now. Not a big deal when Princess Auto has them on for $19. for 40 but when shooting heavy I can go through six if not more in a day no problem. Been over 500 pellets a week for two years. That's why I shoot all springers. But I see me loving the QB78S even more. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:07 pm 

QBs are easier to work on than springers. All you need is a valve removal tool, a few allan keys, and a Phillips screwdriver. Valve removal tool is easy to make from 18" of 1/2" copper pipe. I also use the same tool to remove the knurled stock nut. Works easy peasy.

Attachments:
tool1.jpg
tool1.jpg [ 30.33 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
tool 2.jpg
tool 2.jpg [ 44.54 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
tool 3.jpg
tool 3.jpg [ 69.53 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:15 pm 

Cool Dukemeister. I will get their one day. I have enough headaches these days with furnaces and fireplaces that now is not the time to tear something new apart. If I tore it apart I am not one that could leave it in pieces and walk away till the next day. I wish I had some of that in me but I don't. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:51 am 

I seen people make a valve removal tool like that for crosman co2 pistols.. Using a spade bit, Grinding off the point and putting a notch, or modding a long screw driver.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:01 pm 

Got a hand pump on the way from Wes and now just need a 850psi or 1100psi tank and good to go. Found a little play money on the weekend. :wink: Just don't tell my wife to check the company credit card to close. Got to have an air pump for expansion tanks. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:12 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:

Thanks. I own a Gas Company and own my own Nitrogen tanks so no rental involved. That's why first post if you read it says my end game is nitrogen. CHEERS!

Yes - I read your post - all of it and noticed your "end game" which is why I posted what I did
to go with nitrogen. Your post did not mention you owned a Gas Company.
Thus, I do not understand the reasoning behind an manual pump. Whatever you want, go for it.
cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:41 pm 

Because I shoot many times throughout the day. Fifteen - twenty shots then pump it up for next time. Hand pump is free and does not cost any money other than the pump. Nitrogen their is a danger factor to filling them. I would have to run the tank down to the regulator pressure and run out to garage and fill the tank. Just think it will be simpler to keep it topped up with a hand pump everyday. Hand pump will sit upstairs with the gun and I don't have to disconnect anything. BABY STEPS! :wink: Not going to run it on nitrogen if this is the only airgun I do end up with. PCP are not in my plans at this point. Could sell all my airguns and go back tto bow only again. Only ended up here after breaking my shoulder playing hockey. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:54 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Because I shoot many times throughout the day. Fifteen - twenty shots then pump it up for next time. Hand pump is free and does not cost any money other than the pump. Nitrogen their is a danger factor to filling them. I would have to run the tank down to the regulator pressure and run out to garage and fill the tank. Just think it will be simpler to keep it topped up with a hand pump everyday. Hand pump will sit upstairs with the gun and I don't have to disconnect anything. BABY STEPS! :wink: Not going to run it on nitrogen if this is the only airgun I do end up with. PCP are not in my plans at this point. Could sell all my airguns and go back tto bow only again. Only ended up here after breaking my shoulder playing hockey. CHEERS!

But you're already dealing with PCP. Once you converted the QB to bulk fill, and attached a hand pump. You made it a PCP rifle.

Quote:
Pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) air guns have their internal reservoir pre-filled from an external air source (such as a diving cylinder, or by charging with a hand pump), and remains pressurized until depleted after repeated shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:05 pm 

Not really because I bought the whole bulk air fitting so it can simply go back to CO2 caplets. Be different if the gun left the house. Go to range I shoot powder or bows of some kind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:13 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Not really because I bought the whole bulk air fitting so it can simply go back to CO2 caplets. Be different if the gun left the house. Go to range I shoot powder or bows of some kind.

Well you can argue all you want.. By definition, you made it a PCP by hooking the hand pump to it.. So you're already falling down the rabbit hole.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:15 pm 

LOL ya I suppose you are right.