Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:15 pm 

I've never owned a non P.A.L. air rifle and have shipped 2, one to Alberta and 1 to Sask. I used the boxes they came in.
One to Alberta was the cardboard box, new from Ontario and the other was a the private sale cardboard box from Alberta.
The women in the Post Office asked if "Dangerous Goods" I said no, it's use a pellet gun. No lies & no problem.
Seems to me I put one of those little peg-screw locks on the triggers, but do not remember exactly - might have, might not have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:16 pm 

YepYep wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
If A dealer, ships without a hard case and double lock, so should private sellers.

Yep, I agreed to that ~ occasionally private deals is different from a formal business.

Sent from my LG cellphone

No they are not. Essentially the same. ( I don't care Daryl what the CC says) You make sure they got a license, They pay, you ship. No different than a dealer. They require your PAL info, you pay them, they ship. I can use the same shipping services a business does.

Only difference is when you get into restricted, dealer normally takes care of the transfer. Where private sales, one calls, starts it, give the other person a ref#, then they call and complete their end.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:34 pm 

I'm about finished buying restricted, I have enough. I have never, nor would I ever buy restricted, except in person.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:31 am 

leadslinger wrote:
Well to be honest Cabelas sucks. I know AGS, or CSS will accept returns. Both great stores. Cabelas is nothing but a fad store that only cares about money. Ours has the worst Airgun section I've seen.

Wow this thread really opened up last night...
Sat for about a week with no interest...

AGS, and CSS were the stores I alluded to. Maybe in a real world situation things are different but their site says

AGS:
"All items that are in un-opened and un-used condition are eligible for a 30 day money back guarantee. Open packages will be accepted on a per case basis and may be subject to a 10% restocking fee.

To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it.

Several types of goods are exempt from being returned. Opened or used ammunition, CO2 and firearm rated airguns."

CSS:
"Any open airguns that do not qualify as firearms can be returned back within 15 days of purchase but 15% re-stocking fees will apply and you will need to pay for return shipping. Any guns qualified as Firearms CANNOT BE RETURNED. Manufacturer's warranty services might be able to do that for you. In most cases, they can only be serviced."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:12 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
I have about 30 of those $1.99 plastic gun locks that take a screw to open and close. Not much good but they are legal.

Best way to ship a gun. $1.20 ea. and be legal. The key is a huge PITA. But I made a key the fits into my cordless drill. Way better.

Bulk 50 Piece Package

Attachments:
Plastic-Trigger-Lock.jpg
Plastic-Trigger-Lock.jpg [ 404.98 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 pm 

Scarb67 wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
Well to be honest Cabelas sucks. I know AGS, or CSS will accept returns. Both great stores. Cabelas is nothing but a fad store that only cares about money. Ours has the worst Airgun section I've seen.

Wow this thread really opened up last night...
Sat for about a week with no interest...

AGS, and CSS were the stores I alluded to. Maybe in a real world situation things are different but their site says

AGS:
"All items that are in un-opened and un-used condition are eligible for a 30 day money back guarantee. Open packages will be accepted on a per case basis and may be subject to a 10% restocking fee.

To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it.

Several types of goods are exempt from being returned. Opened or used ammunition, CO2 and firearm rated airguns."

CSS:
"Any open airguns that do not qualify as firearms can be returned back within 15 days of purchase but 15% re-stocking fees will apply and you will need to pay for return shipping. Any guns qualified as Firearms CANNOT BE RETURNED. Manufacturer's warranty services might be able to do that for you. In most cases, they can only be serviced."

Well dunno what to say. But Raman offered to replace my Kral Puncher that had defects. That was PAL rated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:44 pm 

HuskyDude wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:
I have about 30 of those $1.99 plastic gun locks that take a screw to open and close. Not much good but they are legal.

Best way to ship a gun. $1.20 ea. and be legal. The key is a huge PITA. But I made a key the fits into my cordless drill. Way better.

Bulk 50 Piece Package

Yes that is them. Thank you for the picture. Since I have very few guns anymore I have lots of spares if needed. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:14 pm 

It's good to know that there are retailers who are better than their word, and help the customer, when it comes to exceptions in policy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:19 pm 

When I bought a CO2 Uzi replica BB gun from Cabela's via mail order, a couple of years ago, it came in the box inside another box, with one of these cheap plastic trigger locks with toggle key. It is rated at around 350 fps.

Last year when I bought a Benjamin Jim Shockey Steel Eagle NP2, 495 fps break barrel air rifle. I ordered it by phone from my local Cabela's (not from the 800 line). I picked it up and paid for it at the customer service desk. When I got it home, and unboxed it, the rifle had one of those orange metal trigger locks on it, but no key. Had to drive back to the store to get someone to unlock it. And they kept the trigger lock. I asked, but they would not let me keep it.

All other non-PAL airguns I have bought from Cabela's (both in store & by mail) and from other vendors all over Canada & USA, no locks on them at all, but most have been double boxed.

So go figure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:52 pm 

ALL of the rifles and pistol I have purchased from retail outfits have NEVER had trigger locks installed.

A Marlin .45/70 M1895 I bought maybe 4 years ago had a trigger lock in the box that I could use, but was not installed.

The Wtby and Rem 700 bolt rifles I purchased in the last few years were boxed without trigger locks included or installed.

Every gun I sell at a gun show, has a very strong wide and thick zip tie holding the bolt down on an empty chamber. I do not
give the new owner a trigger lock unless they pay for it. That's different. Any firearm in your IMMEDIATE possession does not
need a trigger lock. Do not leave a nontriggerlocked gun in your vehicle and go into a store - and it must NEVER be identifiable
as a firearm form some-nasty-person looking in a window, if you do - OK with a mechanical lock as I read the regs. but must be mechanical.
Zip ties might not be mechanical enough for the charging "member".
That is the same system I used when wearing the uniform, as well as any other cop wearing the uniform and attending
court and presenting a firearm as evidence. NEVER having any other form of security.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:30 am 

Anyone remember when crosman provided a trigger lock? All you needed was 3 nails to pop it open.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:32 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Anyone remember when crosman provided a trigger lock? All you needed was 3 nails to pop it open.

I still have one. Had a three prone plastic key type thing you stick in to open. Got my off a 1008 I bought about 20 years ago. I just gave away the pistol to Ace a few weeks ago and forgot to send it along.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:28 pm 

I'l jump into this "trigger lock" thread. Lol
As much as I have decided to not buy from Cabela's ever again, after an unsatisfying purchase experience, they did ship the rifle with the cheapo forked hole trigger lock.
The place I took that rifle to trade in asked if I added the lock myself. Being new to the firearms ordering process it didn't dawn on me to take advantage of the point and ask to take it with me. Guess the trade in shop got a brand new rifle plus a trigger lock to resell. Will be kicking myself over the whole experience, until I get out and get some time shooting/enjoying the rifle.