Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:19 pm 

Anyone have any experience with the Pioneer BB 76 BB gun from Ultra Hi.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/08 ... ly-to-see/

Thinking about adding it to the replica collection. Don't have anything from the musket era. It's a copy of a Davy Crockett/Daniel Boone Kentucky long rifle.

Interesting that it really isn't a .177 (4.5mm) BB gun. Tom says it works best with 4.4mm lead balls.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:56 pm 

GAG! :axe: :axe:

I am sorry to inform you, that Ultrahigh has never made a copy of anything.
They produce junk.

Here are 4 long rifles, calibres running .50, .36, .54, .45 left to right and one 20 bore smoothbore fowler on the right end, with the picture taken 27th Jan. 2019.
All custom made because you cannot buy a copy from ANY commercial mfg'r. None of them make one.
All of these shoot cotton patched, lead balls of the appropriate calibre, of course.

Attachments:
Sunday Jan 27 2019.jpg
Sunday Jan 27 2019.jpg [ 113.28 KiB | Viewed 434 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:36 pm 

nice pic Daryl you guys are right out of the Davy Crockett era .... :lol: 8)
is that your bro to your right with the long blue with black strip coat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:40 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
..Don't have anything from the musket era. ...says it works best with 4.4mm lead balls.

hey BB... consider a flintlock. you don't need a PAL to own and shoot a flintlock. :shock:

you can go for the Davy Crockett style, send a pic of your coonskin cap, or consider this..

i have a made-in-Spain Traditions DeerHunter muzzle loading .50 cal black powder rifle. it's short though.. for hunting deer in the woods, i bet. .50cal = 12.7mm lead balls (4.4mm balls?.. teehee) ;)... octagon barrel. +1000 f.p.s. (but i need a P.A.L. for a Umarex Lever Action? :roll: )

i shoot with some Davy Crocketts but i go commando, so to speak. my rifle is short, black composite stock, fibre optic sights, sling mounts, fibreglass ramrod, made 4 years ago... so i wear camo, army gear bags, desert storm boots. pizzes them off. why be normal?

so some sundays my quandry is, 'hmmm.... phantom .22 pellet gun in the basement, or this handheld cannon in the woods?'

here's a good video of the feng shui zen process of muzzle loading firearms and the Traditions DeerHunter ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F19gBcQUaG0&index=17&list=LL6PZ7zXfE7bHBfGZzD-_4jA

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/deerhunter-.50-caliber-flintlock-black-powder-muzzleloader-blued
i know it says no shipping to canada but check out irunguns.com.. http://irunguns.com/product.traditions-deerhunter-select-25 email jason, jason@irunguns.us. he'll get it to edmonton and canada post will bring it to your door. all legal.

i went thru all the steps until it got to edmonton and the shipper dude called me then for a PAL! lol. i had to send him this link and even then he took it to his RCMP contact.... i had the rifle in 2 days.

powder and balls aren't a problem... if anything you may have to show a driver's license to buy an explosive. (the blackpowder) i never have had to. "..The definition [of ammuntion] does not include loose black powder and shot used in muzzleloaders..."

lead balls are mere fishing weights.

".... Muzzleloaders made after 1898: All matchlock, flintlock and wheel lock long guns are considered antiques no matter when they were made. Like older firearms of these types, they are exempt from the licence and registration requirements set out in the Firearms Act..."

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/powder-poudre-eng.htm

those long guns are long at shoulder height, mine barely comes to my elbows.

ps.. start a post in Powderburners to continue this vein of the thread, i'll meet you there.

L

FREE FUN FACT:
" ...All firearms must be unloaded for storage and transportation. (DUH!)
Exception: Black powder muzzleloaders do not have to be unloaded when they are being transported between hunting sites if their firing cap or flint has been removed..."

:rolleyes: so load the powder, ensure it's cotton patched, lead ball of the appropriate calibre, of course...
cock the gun, prime the pan, and put the flint in your cup holder...

i think there's more restrictions on airguns.

Attachments:
bp1.jpg
bp1.jpg [ 73.88 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]
bp2.jpg
bp2.jpg [ 63.89 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]
bp3.jpg
bp3.jpg [ 56.86 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:36 pm 

Leon is spot-on - none of the guns in my picture, nor his rifle, require a P.A.L.
Ace - yes that is Taylor in the capote'. He 'built' 3 of the guns in the picture.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:44 pm 

Me, trying out an new bow for draw length, 2008 Rendezvous. 55# at 28" - drawing 30". Hickory "D section longbow
with horn nocks.

Hefley Creek Rendezvous 2007 Fort Shoot - me on the left, with "English" flintlock 20bore shooting the "shooting the attackers, French and Mohawks".

Attachments:
20100831-IMG_7322-1.jpg
20100831-IMG_7322-1.jpg [ 45.79 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]
P8290951-1.jpg
P8290951-1.jpg [ 133.23 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:54 pm 

Leon- not quite correct - "All firearms must be unloaded for storage and transportation. (DUH!) YES
Exception: Black powder muzzleloaders do not have to be unloaded when they are being transported between hunting sites if their firing cap or flint has been removed..." not quite

The Federal law states, the ML is deemed to be not loaded if there is no cap on the nipple of a cap lock, nor powder in the pan of a flintlock. The flint does not have to be removed in BC.
That would be a pain in the butt, having to remove and replace it. I much prefer to dump the pan powder, THEN wipe the pan out to make sure NO powder granuals remain, then chuck it
onto the back seat. Recharging the pan is quick, with a pan charger, just as putting a new cap on the nipple is easy with a 'capper'.

Our BC Provincial Game regs now follow the federal law kin this.

However, it is up to each Province to say or dictate what they deem in accordance with their own game regulations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:34 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Leon- not quite correct - "... The flint does not have to be removed in BC. ..I much prefer to dump the pan powder, then chuck it onto the back seat. Recharging the pan is quick, with a pan charger,...

10-4. good to know.

thx..L

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:39 pm 

Daryl wrote:
...trying out an new bow for draw length, 55# at 28" - drawing 30". Hickory "D section longbow with horn nocks.

a manly bow for manly men. :prayer:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:46 pm 

Leon ... I was looking at an antique type black powder flintlock at Wholesale Sports before they closed down. The person behind the gun counter was showing it to me and advise I did not need a PAL to acquire. Price was reasonable too. Much better than the current prices at Cabela's.

But might be a bit too much for my 25' basement range. And not sure what the neighbours would say if I used it in the backyard.

I think I will stick with airguns for now. Don't really have time for hunting, and closest gun range is a bit too far away to frequent on a regular basis. And when it's -50 C outside, not going out if not absolutely necessary, isn't that bad an idea.

Just asking about the BB gun as it looked unique, and had a line on this gun from two different sellers. But I'll take the advise as given by Daryl that it is junk. Others also said to stay away as no parts available to repair it, if something breaks.

With the renewed popularity of vintage western airguns, maybe someone will come up with something new like this.

Now that all those people that watched all the TV westerns and bought all those Red Riders in the 50's & 60's are now retired, and have the time & money, might be a whole new market for western replica airguns. Maybe a Sharps, Spenser, Henry, Coach gun, and maybe even a Brown Bess.

But to dream.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:01 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Leon ...... might be a bit too much for my 25' basement range. And not sure what the neighbours would say if I used it in the backyard....Don't really have time for hunting, and closest gun range is a bit too far away to frequent on a regular basis. ...

yup, not a basement gun, unless you have an earthen berm in the crawl space.
neighbours would ensure a SWAT team visit.
i don't hunt. (either)
the range guys taught me how to load and clean,
i'm happy that sunday afternoon crown land is (only) 15 kms away.

i mostly bought a .50cal black powder rifle/gun mainly because, at least today, i can.
i rec'd this gun in May 2016 but only got around to buying all the accoutrements, and shooting it, in july 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:19 pm 

Leon ... I actually gave thought to buying the flintlock at Wholesale Sports, because the price was reasonable. But if I did it would probably sit around in basement for more than two or three years, before I got around to figuring out how to use it.

But I do know, powder first.

Post subject: what Pioneer BB 76 BB??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:06 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Leon ... I ~~ gave thought to buying the flintlock ~~, ~~the price was reasonable.~~

do it. if (pick any name) from the (pick any party) wins the next election, who knows what laws will be enacted, or regulated by the RCMP, that will disallow all the fun stuff.

BB1Shooter wrote:
if I did it would ~~ sit around ~~ , before I got around to figuring out how to use it. ~~

good plan. see above.

plus....no way no how no matter how much google how many youtubes was i ever firing off this thing untrained.

my biggest fear was an undercharge that left my ball stuck down the barrel next to my other biggest fear of an air pocket/loose powder that allows for an explosion some distance behind the lead shot-- blowing apart the rear of the barrel.

another biggest fear was a smouldering charge. pan charge goes off, (a flash in the pan). barrel charge does not ignite so gun doesn't fire. consider that the charge may just be smouldering (damp powder? - keep yer powder dry!) as you place it down against the picnic table when suddenly, B O O M! you just shot your baseball cap off..

i connected with the black powder crowd at a local range's open house one sunday where i met a gent (they're all gents) that had me back the next weekend as his guest.

while he knows all i know,
i don't know all he knows.
Take care,
Oh (sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:11 pm 

We do that too, Ace. Odd time someone contacts the range through our web site & the notice or request goes off to the Director of that section.

We either print off a day pass for them or they buy one at the 'Northern Hardware' which is a Home Hardware with a difference. We then invite them out

to a regular shooting function, be it a Sunday Trail Walk, Sunday or Wed. Evening Trap, IPSC or whatever.

https://www.pgrgclub.ca/photogallery/

Click on the BP section and there's my bro - with the club's 3" canon as well. I think 3" is a 6 pounder.

We do have quite active Black Powder, IPSC, IDPA, Cowboy Action and Trap sections. The General Handgun, of which I am a Director, is used daily, all year long

by a LOT of people. Since we put out a broom & dustpan (shovel) and buckets, most people are not sweeping up their brass which helps. Now, if we could

only get the people to stop shooting off the 2x4 uprights, we'd be in great shape. With a 2' spacing and most of the frames get moved up to 10 yards, there

is absolutely ZERO excuse for hitting the 2x4's. We also have cameras that are movement cued. We see who is there and what they are shooting at.

Second Row, second in from the left, is a little girl getting some instruction (from yours truly) and shooting a pink .22 LR TC. This was at a Heritage Day where we have an

open house. People register at the club house and pay $20.00 for '5' different disciplines of their own choice, generally 5 shots each, or $5.00 per discipline. Could be general

handgun with revolvers or IPSC-types, black powder, trap, cowboy action, rim fire silhouette or large bore rifle. The reason for the charge, is solely due to insurance company

concerns. If they pay a "fee" to the club, they are covered by the club's insurance policy. The fees also offset(actually far from it)the costs volunteered by the member's in costs for

the use of their equipment and ammunition.

The annual Club membership supplies a $3,000,000.00 PL & PD insurance policy for all shooting, hunting & fishing activities. Directors and Executive get a $5,000,000.00 policy.

Annual memberships are $135.00 for single, $150.00 for family & children to 18yrs of age living at home. Young adults ages 18-24 $60.00 per year, same as seniors 65 and older.

The senior's membership is each - ie: husband and wife, or partners, $60.00 each.

We have over 1,300 members.

BTW - the cowboy action video is pretty good.