Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:11 pm 

Based on your feedback, I think I will restrict my selection to:

HW40
Good value for the money, good accuracy based on the feedback of OzzieM. Good short term solution.

PP800
With a regulator installed by Wes. Of course, it's not a high end precision pistol, but affortable for a PCP.

SECOND-HAND HIGH END PRECISION PISTOL LIKE MAC
I think it is more than 25 years old? Air tank must be changed after 10 years?
A bit too expensive for me.

SECOND-HAND HAMMERLI / ALPHA SPORT
If I could find one of these for half the price a brand new, I think it would be great for me. These are not high end pistols, but I think still really good one with a recent design.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 pm 

my vote would be for pp800, nothing can beat the price and with a regulator installed for the price, if it comes down to the barrel accuracy, maybe you can get a LW barrel later installed and it is still much cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:25 am 

DocGadget wrote:
Can the Webley Alecto/Zoraki HP-01 can still be found? It's big but accurate and not too heavy considering the size.
Avanti 747 can also be a good option at a good price.
I owned both and the FAS. You won't go wrong with them.

I quite like my Daisy 747 but I can't compare it to better guns I don't have. And I have a scope on it.
Also, there is one just advertised here on CAF:
topic82014.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:46 pm 

I’d get the PP700sa . Tons of regulated shots in either caliber available . The .22 is super accurate , the sights on the other hand are not match quality . I’m sure if someone were to look into it a better set of irons could be found to fit .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:12 pm 

Well, 1701P may also be an option. I could get one for a little more than 600$CAD at PA with discount coupon, including sight and freight cost.

It's not regulated, but it has a good reputation of precision. What do you think about it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:07 am 

Definitely not a target pistol, however, if the .177's shoot as well as this .22 ?????

This pistol feels great in my hand, but I do have fairly large, reasonably strong hands.
The shooting isn't very good, but then I'm old (69 this spring) and a big shakey.
Heart rate a little high and blood pressure up some.
Some of these, 3 were shot standing, 2 handed. The other is shot rested.
I finally got rid of the bad shakes with the final 10-shot group, lower left.
The lower right was to check impact. Indeed, it was a bit to the left.
To be competitive, it would need better sights than the irons it comes with.
I would like to try a PP800, though. It does come with adjustable pistol sights
& regulated, might be just fine - for a while.

Attachments:
IMG_2659.JPG
IMG_2659.JPG [ 470.11 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]
IMG_2639.JPG
IMG_2639.JPG [ 32.49 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:09 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Definitely not a target pistol, however, if the .177's shoot as well as this .22 ?????

This pistol feels great in my hand, but I do have fairly large, reasonably strong hands.
The shooting isn't very good, but then I'm old (69 this spring) and a big shakey.
Heart rate a little high and blood pressure up some.
Some of these, 3 were shot standing, 2 handed. The other is shot rested.
I finally got rid of the bad shakes with the final 10-shot group, lower left.
The lower right was to check impact. Indeed, it was a bit to the left.
To be competitive, it would need better sights than the irons it comes with.
I would like to try a PP800, though. It does come with adjustable pistol sights
& regulated, might be just fine - for a while.

Nice shooting! I'd like to be able to get the same result... Maybe after some months of training...
I think that the quality of PP700 isn't constant. You could get a good one, or you could get one that will need love to become accurate. Did you have to work on yours to get this accuracy?
And is it stable, from the the first shot to the last one of the tank?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:18 pm 

fishguy wrote:
I’ve used and owned almost all the pistols mentioned so far. My personal experience is they’re all capable of very good groupings. Spending $1500-$2500 does not necessarily improve your groupings, practice will do that for you.
Hw40 was a little too light for me, hw75 too tall in the hand, fas6004 extremely comfortable but fairly low powered, but perfect for paper. The Crosman 1701p was decent, great accuracy, but still felt like a Crosman. The Izh46 was too heavy, balanced way forward near the muzzle. The Alpha Proj was very nice, but the standard ambi grips are sized for a very small hand that does not fit the average person, the one hand target grip was still a little small and not the most comfortable. Again, they all can produce excellent groups but it comes down to personal preference. I avoid all models designed for one handed competition now as I don’t compete and do not find them comfortable for casual shooting.

The best pistol for accuracy which I find comfortable to use is the HW44. Probably 100 shots per fill, regulated. Super consistent, one hole accuracy from the bench. Plus the added benefit of it being a repeater with mags. May be more than you want to spend, but if it’s an option I think D&L will likely get a couple more in soon. Highly recommended.

I read many review about the HW44. WOW!
It's probably a pleasure to shoot with it!
For casual shooting, it is probably extremely interesting. But if a day I'd like participate in a competition, would this type of repeater pistol be accepted?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:51 pm 

Jack99 wrote:

Nice shooting! I'd like to be able to get the same result... Maybe after some months of training...
I think that the quality of PP700 isn't constant. You could get a good one, or you could get one that will need love to become accurate.
Did you have to work on yours to get this accuracy?
And is it stable, from the the first shot to the last one of the tank?

Thanks Jack. All I did was fill it with nitrogen, load and shoot. No work on the pistol. Lucky? Maybe. Handguns are not easy to shoot, not like
rifles and shotguns.

I've been shooting wheelguns since 1972 & spent 16 years as a firearms instructor in Corrections in the 80's and 90's using handguns, starting off with Model 94's
in .30/30 with hardball WW11 ammo, then switched to M1Carbines and model 870 12 bore shotguns with 7round magazine extensions.

So if indeed, you are interested in becoming fairly good with a handgun, seek out some instruction & practice what you are taught.

Once after taking some crap about his long range handgun shooting, 'The Sage of Salmon Idaho" and the originator of the .44 magnum,
Elmer Keith, once wrote that "hitting at long range with a handgun is accidental. However, if you practice at long range with that handgun,
you will have more long range accidents with that gun than someone who doesn't."

Same goes for 10 meter air pistol and rifle.