Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:57 pm 

Hi all, I've been looking through the forum for the past couple of days and can't seem to find a definitive answer to scratch my itch.

I should start by saying that I am looking for a pellet pistol for plinking, target practice and maybe skunk hunting if it shows itself :)
I would like to have really good accuracy around 20 feet up to 30 feet. I understand that my own practice will also help to that end, but don't want to be limited by the pistol in those ranges. Since I really like the replica revolver type air pistols, I started looking at the various 2.5 to 4" barreled pistols but am finding it hard to separate the good from the bad.
I like the price of the Crosman SNR357 and Legends Ace-in-the-hole, but wonder if I need to pay double for the Dan Wesson 715 2.5 in order to get good quality.

If any of you have experience with sub 4" pistols, please let me know. I would love to hear about your experience.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:11 pm 

Usually the shorter the barrel, the less velocity and accuracy you'll have. It takes a lot of co2 or air to get a pellet up to speed in such a short amount of time.
As far as killing skunks, you'll be just hitting enough hard to get him upset and spray you =)

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:06 am 

Absolutely X2 to Wes's comments. Pellet pistols are for plinking and targets only. For accuracy at an economical price, many would recommend the P17 as a great starter pistol, but it is not really a good replica of anything - a single stroke (pump) pneumatic that shoots great to 11 metres. If it's a high-quality replica you're looking for, the SW 586 or 686 6-inch revolver would also be on many short lists. It is a high-end replica, but shoots like an entry-level target pistol, and comes with a rail for scope mounting.

Have fun in your search and acquisition, not to mention the shooting fun that will follow. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:42 am 

A_guy wrote:
maybe skunk hunting if it shows itself :)

Thanks!

Are you sure that it is legal to hunt anything where you live?

:?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:45 am 

wllm995 wrote:
A_guy wrote:
maybe skunk hunting if it shows itself :)

Thanks!

Are you sure that it is legal to hunt anything where you live?

:?

It's not legal to hunt with an air pistol in Quebec, you need an over-500fps rifle, then a PAL, then a hunting license. Over 500fps pistol are limited to an approved range and all limitations inherent with a 500fps+ pistol. Also, IMO, hunting an animal bigger than a mouse with an under-500fps gun is not very humane :? Also, there are effective repellents for those critters...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:16 am 

I can not recommend the Dan Wesson revolvers. I had the 715 in pellet and BB versions and the hammer spring component on both broke after a short time.
It is unlikely you will find a replacement part or service source to replace them. ASG do not welcome consumer inquiries.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:16 am 

I wouldn't shoot skunk short of a 22LR.

Short barrels, and Target, don't go hand and hand.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:22 am 

IMO, skunks are very special species... You better leave it along...

Even you shot it on the head with a shotgun in close range, you won't know it will spray at the last moment or not.... If it do..... Pretty fun then...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:38 pm 

I concur with the prior posts. Be careful shooting skunks with any airgun, even a 1,000 fps air rifle. Unless you do not care about getting sprayed.

Maybe consider trapping it. They sell a # of live traps for skunks that don't allow it to get it's tail up and spray you.

Back to your original question. I have both the Crosman SNR 357 (Snub Nosed Revolver) and the Umarex Legends Ace in the Hole. Both are fun to shoot, and can be fairly accurate plinking and targets at less than 30 feet, with practice. I have used both for a while and have had zero problems with them. Occasionally the front sight flies off on the Ace, if I am doing quick draws, but I have not lost it yet. And they give you 3 with the gun, in case you lose one. The SNR has nice weight, but I find it is more accurate in single action than double.

Just remember you are shooting short barreled revolvers, so it will not be perfect. But will be fun! I think the Ace has a rifled barrel for a bit more accuracy vs. the SNR which has a smooth bore barrel, as it can accommodate pellets or BB's.

On the replica side, the Ace is a copy of a Peacemaker, the SNR is copy of a police revolver (S&W, I think). So do you want to be Doc Holliday or Joe Friday?

You can't go wrong with either. Cabela's has the Ace on sale & Princess Auto has the SNR (refurbished) on sale for around $59.99(but only comes with BB or pellet shells, not both like full priced model). So consider buying both. Also, buy extra shells, as you will want them. It speeds up reloading time. You can also get a speed loader for the SNR to really speed up reloading.

Have fun. Just a word of note. Once you get a couple of replica airguns, it's tough to stop looking at, (and buying) more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:02 pm 

Lol! Ok, so I guess I won't be hunting skunks with it basically! Good thing I spoke to you guys first :shock:

If any of you have some experience with the Co2 revolvers though, I'd still like to hear more from you.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:18 pm 

your a good sport and polite... 8)
and not rude about it when given good
advice...good on you :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:08 pm 

I've taken skunks in the chicken coup with a Crosman trapmaster loaded with .38 cal balls. Powderburners make too much noise at 2am.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:52 pm 

Hi all, so I took the plunge with the Ace-in-the-hole. Bought it locally with a great deal with an extra 6 shells.
Thanks to everyone who replied to this post and contacted me in private with more advice or to share their own items for sale.

Quick review for now since I only shot two cylinders.
The feel in hand is great, good weight and we'll balanced. Single-action feels solid.
I was able to get about half inch grouping at 5m holding it in one hand, arm extended. Seems promising, I'm looking forward to improving my technique with it.

I'll be posting a more in depth review in a few weeks once I put it through its paces for hose who might be interested.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:42 pm 

Sounds promising. Good luck. Keep us posted.