Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm 

I know nothing about this but always wondered:
If the rifle has a fill pressure of say 2000 or 3000 psi and the cylinder is filled to say 3500 psi (at least that's what the air cylinders in the lab at work are), do you only get a few fills before the cylinder has to be taken back for a top-up?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:11 pm 

if you use 2 cylinders you can get more fill.
you fill with the one that has the least presure then top up with the other so in essence you use less air of your higher presure cylinder and you will get more fills out of it
I think it's called cascade.

but for your original question is Yes. and you will fill a 2000psi cylinder more times then a 3000psi one before you need to refull.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:32 pm 

At the top of the General Airgun Chat, there are links to calculators to determine how many fills a tank can give your pcp gun.
For example, my 97 cu ft 4500psi scba tank can fill a 180cc cylinder from 2000 to 3000 psi 73 times.

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:53 am 

Are you going to the dark side Dorian?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:50 am 

Good Question. Kinda was behind my decision to get a QB Chief rated for 2000 pounds and a hand pump. Can shoot it and it gives me time to figure out the best route for me to go. I do own Nitrogen tanks for AC business. With a hand pump gun I shoot all my other guns still also. PCP changes the way I shoot pellets. Go through so many less pellets not only because of pumping but it is so accurate I find my shooting slowed way down with it. I don't just keep firing pellet after pellet as fast as I can. Only down fall is I can not shoot all my targets and traps with it because of the speed. Options are low for a PCP around 550 - 600FPS. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 am 

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Tanks/FillCalc.html

Fill this out, and will tell you how many times, your tube , will be filled by your tank.

Like an Example. If you got a 75 CF steel scuba tank, that you filled to 3300 PSI. And you want to fill a gun to 2K PSI, and the gun has a 215 CC air res. And you top it up once the air res gets to 1000 psi.

You'll get 55.7 top ups with that 75 cf air tank.

Now if you fill to say 3000 PSI and top it up at 1000, you'll only get 6.6 fill ups.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:53 pm 

I assumed as much but good to get the confirmation, thanks all. I didn't know there were calculators for this sort of thing - also interesting to note.

MisterJ wrote:
Are you going to the dark side Dorian?

Not yet, Johnny.........but never say never...? (And if I ever do, I think I would budget for a compressor)