Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:09 pm 

Ace wrote:
Ejdavis wrote:
I’ve got to be honest I was about to pull the trigger on a new springer and now I’m doubting whether I should get .177 or .22 caliber.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what are you mostly going to be doing with it...?
if its just to have fun and target shoot then .177... :wink:

I will be using it for target practice and hunting small game. I was really hoping to get a an HW98 in .22 and a TX200HC in .177 but I’m going way overboard getting both of those up front while I’m just getting into the game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:13 pm 

if your using it for small game then don't use anything less then .22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:00 pm 

Ace wrote:

I would have initially agreed but there is so much discussion on these forums stating heavy .177 can be just as effective while providing better accuracy.

That being said I’m not one to make those sort of justifications via experience yet.

Also this is a really great community forum :) just saying.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:07 pm 

Ace wrote:
I think a .177 @ 900 fps should be good enough for squirrels,. rabbits ETC?!

Of course a .22 @ 700fps should be better for using in the bushes...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:17 pm 

@Ejdavis, Really sorry for opening this can of worms. Lol. Because you're interested in a springer, let me make a case for .177. Magpies, crows, rabbits, prairie dogs, and and the like can easily be taken with a .177 at 12 to 15 fpe (better closer to 12). And that's really (IMHO) the key limitation here, 12fpe. Springers usually shoot best at that power level. Had a try at a magnum rated springer and the damn thing felt like it was shaking itself apart! Lost target sight picture after piston bounce. Really unpleasant. Plus the groups opened up. Plus it was way harder to cock. Plus they're usually heavier due to bigger pistons and comp tubes. Plus you need a spring compressor to strip and clean it. So that pretty much sets the limit on what kind of quarry you can take. If you're taking something like a racoon-sized animal then neither a 12fpe .177 or 12fpe .22 is the right tool for the job for a humane kill (Maybe it's doable at REALLY close headshots. Like 20 yds, maybe even just 15 yds, I don't know.. but I wouldn't go there. Also kind of ironic here but if you're headshotting a racoon, you probably have a better chance of killing it with a .177 due to its better penetration into the skull). You'd need 25 to 30 fpe for that but that's PCP territory now. .177 has wider pellet selection, has a flatter trajectory so is more forgiving if you're compensating for holdover at longer ranges and you get more shots/$ and more shots/tin so better for plinking. And if you're going to give FT/HFT a try, with the killzone sizes, .177 will give you better MOEs. If you're really inclined to a .22 HW98 though, I'd say go for it. You'd have chosen a very easy rifle to strip and swap the barrel assembly for. Can't do that as easy with a fixed barrel. https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24577/HW98/ Looks about 90 GBP + shipping.

TLDR: At a springer's energy level, your viable quarry will drop with a .177 or .22. May as well have the more forgiving trajectory. If you need to take bigger quarry, get a PCP.

Cheers buddy!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:37 pm 

IanV wrote:
@Ejdavis, Really sorry for opening this can of worms. Lol. Because you're interested in a springer, let me make a case for .177. Magpies, crows, rabbits, prairie dogs, and and the like can easily be taken with a .177 at 12 to 15 fpe (better closer to 12). And that's really (IMHO) the key limitation here, 12fpe. Springers usually shoot best at that power level. Had a try at a magnum rated springer and the damn thing felt like it was shaking itself apart! Lost target sight picture after piston bounce. Really unpleasant. Plus the groups opened up. Plus it was way harder to cock. Plus they're usually heavier due to bigger pistons and comp tubes. Plus you need a spring compressor to strip and clean it. So that pretty much sets the limit on what kind of quarry you can take. If you're taking something like a racoon-sized animal then neither a 12fpe .177 or 12fpe .22 is the right tool for the job for a humane kill (Maybe it's doable at REALLY close headshots. Like 20 yds, maybe even just 15 yds, I don't know.. but I wouldn't go there. Also kind of ironic here but if you're headshotting a racoon, you probably have a better chance of killing it with a .177 due to its better penetration into the skull). You'd need 25 to 30 fpe for that but that's PCP territory now. .177 has wider pellet selection, has a flatter trajectory so is more forgiving if you're compensating for holdover at longer ranges and you get more shots/$ and more shots/tin so better for plinking. And if you're going to give FT/HFT a try, with the killzone sizes, .177 will give you better MOEs. If you're really inclined to a .22 HW98 though, I'd say go for it. You'd have chosen a very easy rifle to strip and swap the barrel assembly for. Can't do that as easy with a fixed barrel. https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24577/HW98/ Looks about 90 GBP + shipping.

TLDR: At a springer's energy level, your viable quarry will drop with a .177 or .22. May as well have the more forgiving trajectory. If you need to take bigger quarry, get a PCP.

Cheers buddy!

Thanks so much that is some really great info.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:18 am 

now your enjoying the stew you will hear it all. I hunt only grouse with the springer and found my hw95 in 22 was to loopy shooting threw the brush and changed the barrel to a 98 in 177 and it turned into a new gun. I find a heavy pellet gets pass threw and longer recovery and the regular 8.4 grain go in one side and just rattle a round and do the job :rolleyes: .If I need a 22 I always have my 64 annie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:39 am 

mangerover wrote:
now your enjoying the stew you will hear it all. I hunt only grouse with the springer and found my hw95 in 22 was to loopy shooting threw the brush and changed the barrel to a 98 in 177 and it turned into a new gun. I find a heavy pellet gets pass threw and longer recovery and the regular 8.4 grain go in one side and just rattle a round and do the job :rolleyes: .If I need a 22 I always have my 64 annie

HW98 is now ordered from https://dlairgun.com.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for some really great advice, I’m looking forward to my new firearm and getting into the air gunner sport.