Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:48 pm 

I have a centrr point 3-9x40 scope very nice scope. The threads for the windage turrets got striped ( the threads in the scope not on the turret) i tryed to rethread it with a rethread tool but accedently made the female threads a hair too big so the turret wont screw in? Any suggestions how to fix it and to get the windage turret back in place?

Attachments:
IRS20190510_154506.jpg
IRS20190510_154506.jpg [ 92.72 KiB | Viewed 603 times ]
IRS20190510_154357.jpg
IRS20190510_154357.jpg [ 57.8 KiB | Viewed 603 times ]
IRS20190510_154422.jpg
IRS20190510_154422.jpg [ 44.82 KiB | Viewed 603 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:53 pm 

One solution could be to use this: https://www.amazon.ca/C-R-Laurence-FSTR ... B000WSEUII

It's kind of a two-parts epoxy that rebuilds damaged threads.

Another one would be this: https://www.stanleyengineeredfastening. ... aster-sets

But you need to know exactly what are the threads on your scope, and they may well be ''special'' threads. Also be aware that you probably purged out the nitrogen that was in your scope by removing the turret, so if you don't want it to get fogged you'll need to have it re-filled. I believe a gunsmith can do that, though I never had it done.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:12 pm 

airmec wrote:
One solution could be to use this: https://www.amazon.ca/C-R-Laurence-FSTR ... B000WSEUII

It's kind of a two-parts epoxy that rebuilds damaged threads.

Another one would be this: https://www.stanleyengineeredfastening. ... aster-sets

But you need to know exactly what are the threads on your scope, and they may well be ''special'' threads. Also be aware that you probably purged out the nitrogen that was in your scope by removing the turret, so if you don't want it to get fogged you'll need to have it re-filled. I believe a gunsmith can do that, though I never had it done.

Problem I see with any sort of epoxy. Is it getting it into the scope and locking up the adjustments. Negating what you are trying to fix. Or a long term fix. And I don't think there is enough material for a heli coil. Well you could... But be pushing on the adjustment piece and run into another issue, with not being able to change the windage the other way.

And appears raven used a tapered tap. Which looking at the amount of space, didn't even start cutting threads. He needed to use a bottom tap. Basically he just reamed it out.

Amazon has Fitco 3-12x40AO scopes for 45.00 with free shipping.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 pm 

Ya thing is i really like this scope had diffrent colour reticle turret as well as windage and elevation i might try one of these options...thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:38 am 

Man, just buy a new scope... centrepoint scopes are not that great to begin with... it will probably break down on you after a hundred shots from your raven.... I had one and the crosshair went diagonal..

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 pm 

Several member dealers here have great deals on great scopes. Check out the Dealer Corner.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:07 am 

I had a straight 4 X 32 CenterPoint that came packed with a Crosman springer. Out of the box, optics looked like the bottom of an old glass 2 L Coke bottle, except blurrier. That is the only scope I ever put in the trash.

I'll agree with the post above. It would be cheaper and less frustrating in the long run to just get a new scope.
The low end Discovery scopes, esp the 3-9 X 40 A/O are a great, minor investment. I get along fine with the old style front A/O focussing.
Very nice reticle, and relatively clear optics for a very reasonable price...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:22 pm 

I must agree with last few posts. Some times it is better to quit while you are ahead & get a new one. My airgun repair guy keep trying to teach me this. In hindsight, I should have heeded his warnings, and not ended up with a rare vintage airgun that keeps breaking and still needs a paintjob.

To quote the gambler (KR):

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:51 pm 

I'd try the epoxy thing, assuming you can't get a helicoil that size. You've got nothing to lose right? Am I to assume the threaded part of the turret isn't even needed? Meaning you could epoxy the base of the turret to the flat surface of the scope? I don't have that exact scope so I'm just guessin. If so then I'd certainly epoxy it. If it needs to thread in/out, like to lock the adjustment, then could you live w/o the lock?
If all else fails and you want to go full redneck you can force thread in a plug of wood or plastic. Or epoxy it in or on. The plug would have a pre drilled hole so a misc machine screw, like 8-32 or 3mm etc, will be a very tight fit. That screw with it's tight fit will be your adjustment. I did say full redneck, so no making fun...

trickster2000: If you meant the reticle rotated, that's fairly common and you can just rotate it back and peen it, or glue it in place. If only one reticle "hair" moved you're in deeper water but sometimes that can be fixed too. You simply push it back and glue it but it's so delicate you may break it, and odds are it'll never look quite right so it's a redneck "can't afford another scope" fix. When I was a little kid w/ no $ I replaced a broken reticle leg with a hair from my head, which looked awful but it worked well enough to keep shooting. I remember it too, it was a Daisy 4x20 scope for <$10 that I saved for to put on my Crosman 760. No way I was just tossin it in the trash. Duct tape and bailin' wire, gidder dun!